ISO Dim Sum-Type Dumplings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nall

Assistant Cook
I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for dumplings? Not necessarily deep-fried, they can be boiled as well :)

What filling do you prefer?

When I make dumplings, I usually make pork and cabbage fillings, and touch up with shrimp or mushroom, to add flavour. But pork and cabbage is the base.

If you are looking for something like dumpling to go with a stew, go to Food Network.com and search for dumplings there are a lot of recipes there.

I make dumpling with flour or Bisquick for a dish like chicken and dumplings. I also make potato gnocchi and potato dumplings for sauerbraten. Then there is dim sum! So whatcha looking for?;)

Craig

What filling do you prefer?

When I make dumplings, I usually make pork and cabbage fillings, and touch up with shrimp or mushroom, to add flavour. But pork and cabbage is the base.

I havent made any in my whole life and the ones I've tried I don't remember their filling. I like any filling though, could it be pork and a variety of grated cheese?

Thank you for the reply!

If you are looking for something like dumpling to go with a stew, go to Food Network.com and search for dumplings there are a lot of recipes there.

Im looking for the type of dumplings that are eaten alone, with soy sauce or other dressings. You know?

Sounds delicious!

I make dumpling with flour for a dish like chicken and dumplings. I also make potato dumplings for sauerbraten. Then there is dim sum! So whatcha looking for?;)

Craig

All of those sound delicious. I'd love to learn about the potato dumplings and the dumplings with flour for a dish like chicken and dumplings!
Forgive me for my culinary ignorance, what is Dim Sum? Thank's for the quick reply :)

All of those sound delicious. I'd love to learn about the potato dumplings and the dumplings with flour for a dish like chicken and dumplings!
Forgive me for my culinary ignorance, what is Dim Sum? Thank's for the quick reply :)
Dim sum refers to a style of Chinese food prepared as small bite-sized or individual portions of food traditionally served in small steamer baskets or on small plates. Dim sum is also well known for the unique way it is served in some restaurants, wherein fully cooked and ready-to-serve dim sum dishes are carted around the restaurant for customers to choose their orders while seated at their tables.

Last edited:
Dim sum refers to a style of Chinese food prepared as small bite-sized or individual portions of food traditionally served in small steamer baskets or on small plates. Dim sum is also well known for the unique way it is served in some restaurants, wherein fully cooked and ready-to-serve dim sum dishes are carted around the restaurant for customers to choose their orders while seated at their tables.

Hello Timothy, thank you for explaining that. I understood easily and googled immediately some images, they look delicious ! Are they very similar to the flour dumplings Craig is talking about?

On the subject of your signature, I LOVE SUSHI! I ate sushi at a restaurant today, 12-roll for 8 dollars. Kind of expensive but that's how food is priced in Latin America. It was a fried sushi, with tempura shrimp, plantain, cream cheese and bacon! Yummy. What is your favorite type of sushi?

Hello Timothy, thank you for explaining that. I understood easily and googled immediately some images, they look delicious ! Are they very similar to the flour dumplings Craig is talking about?

On the subject of your signature, I LOVE SUSHI! I ate sushi at a restaurant today, 12-roll for 8 dollars. Kind of expensive but that's how food is priced in Latin America. It was a fried sushi, with tempura shrimp, plantain, cream cheese and bacon! Yummy. What is your favorite type of sushi?

Hi Nall, good to meetcha! The flour type dumplings are just strips of flour and water, basically, with no filling. They are traditionally eaten with broth dishes like Boiled Chicken and such.

The Chinese version of dumplings are Filled pastries. Dim Sum is a perfect example of them. I've had Dim Sum of maybe a hundred types of fillings. The fillings can be almost anything and it's a standard manner of getting rid of "Leftovers" in china. Dice em up, add some veggies and wrap them for Dim Sum!

My favorite type of sushi? Oh man, that's a hard one to answer, because I love almost any type. I guess gunkenzushi with a filling of spicy scallops. OMG, I can eat those until I pop!

You got 12 full maki rolls for $8? Man, that's a lot of sushi. Each roll was about 6 bites, right? That's 72 bites of sushi for $8. That would be considered a very good price here with maki rolls going for anywhere from $2 to $10 each, depending on contents.

Smoked Salmon nigiri would be my second most favorite! That's the one I make at home the most. Serious Yum!

Hi Nall, good to meetcha! The flour type dumplings are just strips of flour and water, basically, with no filling. They are traditionally eaten with broth dishes like Boiled Chicken and such.

The Chinese version of dumplings are Filled pastries. Dim Sum is a perfect example of them. I've had Dim Sum of maybe a hundred types of fillings. The fillings can be almost anything and it's a standard manner of getting rid of "Leftovers" in china. Dice em up, add some veggies and wrap them for Dim Sum!

My favorite type of sushi? Oh man, that's a hard one to answer, because I love almost any type. I guess gunkenzushi with a filling of spicy scallops. OMG, I can eat those until I pop!

You got 12 full maki rolls for $8? Man, that's a lot of sushi. Each roll was about 6 bites, right? That's 72 bites of sushi for $8. That would be considered a very good price here with maki rolls going for anywhere from $2 to $10 each, depending on contents.

Smoked Salmon nigiri would be my second most favorite! That's the one I make at home the most. Serious Yum!

Oh I know what flour dumplings are now !! I also know now that what im looking for is Dim Sum :D

I miswrote that, I got 12 bites of Maki Roll for 8 dollars. Is that a good price where you live in?

I don't know which is Gunkenzushi, it sounds complicated, haha! I havent tried Smoked Salmon nigiri! I used to eat sushi with fish in the ingredients, but I had 2 bad experiences with fish (spines stuck in parts of my throat). The ironic part of both stories is, they both happened with breaded fish (the one they sell in the supermarket that is not supossed to have spines, only extremely tiny ones.)

The baking mix (Bisquick or Jiffy) makes a big fluffy biscuit type dumpling. The mix that gets into the stew helps to thicken the gravy. I slice my dumpling open and slather the insides with butter. Great for sopping up gravy!

Hello Zhizara

The baking mix (Bisquick or Jiffy) makes a big fluffy biscuit type dumpling. The mix that gets into the stew helps to thicken the gravy. I slice my dumpling open and slather the insides with butter. Great for sopping up gravy!

Thank's for that info :) The problem is, they don't sell Bisquick or that type of product where I live in.

Oh I know what flour dumplings are now !! I also know now that what im looking for is Dim Sum :D

I miswrote that, I got 12 bites of Maki Roll for 8 dollars. Is that a good price where you live in?

I don't know which is Gunkenzushi, it sounds complicated, haha! I havent tried Smoked Salmon nigiri! I used to eat sushi with fish in the ingredients, but I had 2 bad experiences with fish (spines stuck in parts of my throat). The ironic part of both stories is, they both happened with breaded fish (the one they sell in the supermarket that is not supossed to have spines, only extremely tiny ones.)

Here's a very well made video about making Gukanzushi:

How To: Make Gunkan Sushi - YouTube

Ahhhh, 12 bites of Maki Roll would be 2 rolls. $8 for two rolls *is* a bit expensive. Only the Lobster rolls go for that price where I live.

Sorry you got stuck with bones in your sushi! That reflects on the Chef. Shame on him! Part of being a Sushi Chef (Itamae), is being able to properly clean fish so that the customer gets no bones! The Itamae who made the sushi that resulted in you getting bones stuck in your throat must be poorly trained.

:)

Here's a very well made video about making Gukanzushi:

How To: Make Gunkan Sushi - YouTube

Ahhhh, 12 bites of Maki Roll would be 2 rolls. $8 for two rolls *is* a bit expensive. Only the Lobster rolls go for that price where I live.

Sorry you got stuck with bones in your sushi! That reflects on the Chef. Shame on him! Part of being a Sushi Chef (Itamae), is being able to properly clean fish so that the customer gets no bones! The Itamae who made the sushi that resulted in you getting bones stuck in your throat must be poorly trained.

I agre, it is a bit expensive. :O LOBSTER ROLLS? I want to try those sometime.. Never seen 'em before!
I agree, the Chef who did that sushi must be poorly trained, but anyways my grandfather and my mother have had the same problem with spines getting stuck in their throat during all their lives! So its probably something genetic :P

Thank you for the video, I'll definitely watch it after I finish this tedious homework im doing.

I agre, it is a bit expensive. :O LOBSTER ROLLS? I want to try those sometime.. Never seen 'em before!
I agree, the Chef who did that sushi must be poorly trained, but anyways my grandfather and my mother have had the same problem with spines getting stuck in their throat during all their lives! So its probably something genetic :P

Thank you for the video, I'll definitely watch it after I finish this tedious homework im doing.

You're very welcome, Nall. Cleaning fish so as to avoid any bones being in the fillets is easy. I've cleaned hundreds of fish, and have never had bones in any fillet I've cleaned. Breaded and fried fish is sometimes made of fish parts not used in other types of fish products. the fish is ground and formed into bites or chunks. I use only fillets for my sushi. Nothing but fish meat with no bones.

If you buy some Lobster meat, you can dice it into 1/8" chunks or just shred it. Then mix it with a tiny bit of Japanese Mayo and some Sriracha Sauce and fill the Gunanzushi hollow with it. Absolutely Wonderful!

Or, you can just lay strips of the lobster meat into a standard Maki roll with celery and finely shredded carrot. Both ways of making it result in delicious sushi!

You're very welcome, Nall. Cleaning fish so as to avoid any bones being in the fillets is easy. I've cleaned hundreds of fish, and have never had bones in any fillet I've cleaned. Breaded and fried fish is sometimes made of fish parts not used in other types of fish products. the fish is ground and formed into bites or chunks. I use only fillets for my sushi. Nothing but fish meat with no bones.

If you buy some Lobster meat, you can dice it into 1/8" chunks or just shred it. Then mix it with a tiny bit of Japanese Mayo and some Sriracha Sauce and fill the Gunanzushi hollow with it. Absolutely Wonderful!

Or, you can just lay strips of the lobster meat into a standard Maki roll with celery and finely shredded carrot. Both ways of making it result in delicious sushi!

Sure will ! I'll convince my mom to let me buy a 3 dollar lobster to do that sushi :) Do you live with someone, if so, they are lucky to eat delicious sushi man!

Sure will ! I'll convince my mom to let me buy a 3 dollar lobster to do that sushi :) Do you live with someone, if so, they are lucky to eat delicious sushi man!

Only Dinky, my 14 year old cat lives with me now. He loves sushi too!

When I'm making sushi on the kitchen counter, he suddenly becomes my very best friend in the world!

My friends have sushi parties and invite me to make it from the ingredients they provide. I don't mind it at all. Making sushi is easy after the first 500 rolls. :LOL::chef::ROFLMAO::ermm:

Hahaha

Only Dinky, my 14 year old cat lives with me now. He loves sushi too!

When I'm making sushi on the kitchen counter, he suddenly becomes my very best friend in the world!

My friends have sushi parties and invite me to make it from the ingredients they provide. I don't mind it at all. Making sushi is easy after the first 500 rolls. :LOL::chef::ROFLMAO::ermm:

Hahahah, I agree. I made sushi once, years ago (I was like 13) and It turned out gigantic and a total mess.

Im sure the smell of fish has nothing to do with the sudden love of your cat! :P
Haha, your friends are lucky to have a trustable "Itamae?".

Back
Top Bottom