Prime Rib

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessica_Morris

Senior Cook
DH wants me to attempt to cook Prime Rib, someone at work gave him a recipe so I guess I'll be attempting to make it. Wanted to know if anyone on here had an tips for me? They'd be greatly appreciated since I'm a newbie at this.

Basic Prime Rib. Digital meat thermometer with probe is a necessity for monitoring internal temp.

Ingredients:

prime rib bone-in roast well marbled
kosher salt
whole peppercorns, crushed
Worcestershire sauce

Prep:

Allow meat to come to room temperature before seasoning or cooking

Cooking:

Preheat oven to 325
Place roast in uncovered roasting pan fat side up
GENEROUSLY coat all surfaces of roast with:
Worcestershire sauce
crushed peppercorns
kosher salt
Add about 1/4 cup of water in bottom of roasting pan

Roast until center reaches 140 degrees (medium rare) or longer if you prefer more doneness. Actual cooking time will vary depending on size of roast. 12 pound standing rib roast takes 3-4 hours. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes.

Generous amount of S&P. Wire rack in roasting pan. Pre-heat oven to 500F. Place on middle oven rack and cook at 500F for 5 minutes. Lower oven temp to 200F and cook 1 hour per pound. Perfect medium-rare.

Craig

PR is one of the easiest things to make - and the easiest to screw up. You must have a thermometer. You can get one from BB&B for about $20. I have been using Kenji Alts recipe for several years now, and it is always perfect. I get a prime cut of rib from Wegmans (last year was $107 for the roast) so I want to make sure it is perfect. Here is Kenji's recipe. (He went to MIT, so it's a little "sciencey."

The Food Lab: How to Cook a Perfect Prime Rib | Serious Eats

My mother taught me to make it the same way Paula Deen does it in her Foolproof Standing Rib Roast Recipe. My mother called it Sunday Prime Rib because she could turn the oven off while she went to church and not worry about burning the house down. :LOL:

Allow 5-6 pound roast to stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 375 degree F. Rub roast with salt pepper and garlic salt; place roast on a rack in the pan with the rib side down and the fatty side up. Roast for 1 hour. Turn off oven. Leave roast in oven but do not open oven door for 3 hours. About 1 hour before serving time, turn oven to 375 degrees F and reheat the roast. Important: Do not remove roast or re-open the oven door from time roast is put in until ready to serve.

Last edited:
DH wants me to attempt to cook Prime Rib, someone at work gave him a recipe so I guess I'll be attempting to make it. Wanted to know if anyone on here had an tips for me? They'd be greatly appreciated since I'm a newbie at this.

I think the hardest part will be to decide which easy method to use! :ermm:

Here's another tried and true method that works great.

On the plus side, you don't need a thermometer. On the down side, you can't use the oven for anything else.

Standing Rib Roast

1 Ea Standing Rib Roast (Bone-in)
TT Salt and Black Pepper
1/4 C Flour

Preheat the oven to 500º F.

Just before putting the roast into the oven, rub it with salt, pepper, and flour.

The timing of the cooking is based upon the number of ribs and the degree of doneness you want. Multiply the number of ribs by 12 minutes for rare, 13 minutes for medium rare, and 14 for medium. For example, if you have a 4 rib roast and want it to be medium rare, you would calculate 4x13=52 minutes.

Place the roast into the 500º F oven and cook it for the prescribed time.

DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR ONCE YOU PUT IN THE ROAST.

After the calculated cooking time, shut off the oven and don't open the OVEN door.

Leave the roast in the oven for at least and hour and a half (and up to three hours. There will be no change in the degree of doneness). Do not open the oven door during this time.

After the 90-180 minutes, remove the roast and cover it with foil and let it rest for 30 minutes before carving.

Assuming there is just the two of you, you don't need all 7 ribs, a 3 rib roast should be plenty, so save yourself some money by going to a butcher and asking for ribs 3, 4, and 5.

I'm not sure what kind of tips you need if you are already following a recipe.
What is the recipe? I would hate to tell you one thing and have it conflict with something in the recipe you are using.

PR is one of the easiest things to make - and the easiest to screw up. You must have a thermometer. You can get one from BB&B for about $20. I have been using Kenji Alts recipe for several years now, and it is always perfect. I get a prime cut of rib from Wegmans (last year was $107 for the roast) so I want to make sure it is perfect. Here is Kenji's recipe. (He went to MIT, so it's a little "sciencey."

The Food Lab: How to Cook a Perfect Prime Rib | Serious Eats

I love scientific explanations and resolutions to a problem! Thanks!

I haven't had PR in so long. I might have to pick one up now to prove this method to myself.

I couldn't edit my post, but by thermometer, I mean one that registers internal temperature. I got a Taylor at BB&B for $20, and set it to 118. When reaches that temperature, the alarm will go off, and the roast will continue to cook, even though you have removed it from the heat.

I have tried some of the other methods mentioned here, (except for PD; I would never cook one of her recipes,) but Kenji's is the best one I've ever done.

I couldn't edit my post, but by thermometer, I mean one that registers internal temperature. I got a Taylor at BB&B for $20, and set it to 118. When reaches that temperature, the alarm will go off, and the roast will continue to cook, even though you have removed it from the heat.

I have tried some of the other methods mentioned here, (except for PD; I would never cook one of her recipes,) but Kenji's is the best one I've ever done.
I use an Oregon Scientific aw129, which has an alarm that goes off 10 degrees below setpoint. By the time I get to the grill and bring something inside to the table, it's done perfectly every time!

I'm not sure what kind of tips you need if you are already following a recipe. I would hate to tell you one thing and have it conflict with something in the recipe you are using.

That is exactly why I suggested what to buy, not how to cook it.

Everyone has their own way to cook a prime rib to perfection. Like someone else has already said, the one thing that you absolutely have to have is a meat thermometer, and you have to put it in the meat before you cook it, not while it is cooking.

Here is my recipe for a 10 lb prime rib:
Mix 8 c of rock salt with 6 cups of white flour, and about 2 tbsp rosemary. Add up to 2 cups of water until you have a thick paste.

Season the meat with some olive oil, and lots of black pepper, garlic powder, and Italian Seasoning.

In the bottom of a foil lined roasting pan, place about 1 inch of rock salt. Place the meat on the rock salt with the fat side up. Completely cover the meat with the salt paste, making sure to save some paste. Insert the thermometer. Place in a pre-heated 450 degree oven for 10 minutes to allow the salt paste to harden. Remove from oven and reduce heat to 250 degrees. Patch any holes in the shell with the remaining paste. Return the meat to the oven and cook for about 3-4 hours, or until the thermometer reaches 130 degrees. Remove from the oven and let rest for 30 minutes (do not remove the salt paste shell) to allow the meat to reach 140 degrees. Once the meat is at 140, remove the shell and serve. There will be no au jus, so plan ahead. The meat cooks faster than you think in the salt paste shell, so watch the thermometer closely after the first 2 hours. Cooking the meat at 250 degrees for a longer time makes the meat fork tender, while still keeping the meat at medium rare.

My father-in-law has been cooking prime rib forever and he finally admitted last year, that my prime rib is the best he has ever had. Quite a compliment from a 5th generation cattle rancher.

Again, though, how you cook and season your prime rib is entirely a personal choice. Just make sure you have a meat thermometer!!!!!

Last edited:
We was thinking alike on this one Sirloin.

And I respectfully disagree with the statement that you need a thermometer. Not if you use the method Kayelle posted. Just be aware that it requires much more than a couple hours on the counter to get your roast up to room temp. 6-7 hours for a 2 rib roast.

We was thinking alike on this one Sirloin.

And I respectfully disagree with the statement that you need a thermometer. Not if you use the method Kayelle posted. Just be aware that it requires much more than a couple hours on the counter to get your roast up to room temp. 6-7 hours for a 2 rib roast.

I agree. The method I posted also does not require a thermometer.

Yes, no thermometer needed for the the method I posted and use. I especially like that the outside is beautifully brown and crusty, and the inside is perfect every single time. I used the rock salt method once, and the flavor was great but I was unhappy with presentation of the meat. I really missed that brown crusty appearance.

I always ask my butcher for a long piece of beef suet. I place it on top of the roast at the beginning. Remove it halfway through the roasting process. It gives me enough fat for a delicious Yorkshire Pudding. I bake the pudding while the roast is standing at rest. I also ask my butcher to not trim off too much of the fat. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom