Need your opinion on this recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
I found this recipe somewhere (I can't remember where--I look at too many! :oops: ) and would like to make it for DH's and my belated Valentine's dinner this Saturday. It only serves 2--two 3/4 c ramekins--so the quantities of the ingredients are small but I feel like 1/4 oz of chocolate is too little. Is my love of chocolate clouding my judgement or should there be more chocolate in this? How much do you think?

Chocolate Chile Soufflés

1/4 cup sugar plus additional for coating gratin dishes
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter
1/2 cup milk
1/4 ounce semisweet chocolate, chopped fine
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1 large egg yolk
1 large egg white

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter two 3/4 cup gratin dishes and coat with additional sugar, shaking out excess.

In a small bowl blend together 2 tablespoons sugar, flour, butter and a pinch salt until mixture forms into small pellets.

In a small saucepan, bring milk to a boil and whisk in flour mixture, chocolate and cayenne. Cook mixture over moderate heat, whisking until thickened, about 15 seconds and cool 30 seconds.

In a bowl, whisk yolk lightly and whisk into chocolate mixture. In another bowl, whisk whites with a pinch of salt until they hold soft peaks and whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, a little at a time, until meringue holds stiff peaks. Fold in remaining meringue gently but thoroughly.

Divide soufflé batter between gratin dishes and put on a baking sheet. Bake chocolate soufflés in middle of oven for 15 minutes or until puffed. Serve immediately.

For 2 desserts I'd say that might be close - I'm going to post my recipe for Dark Chocolate Souffle Cakes with Espresso Chocolate Sauce. Take a look at that - remembering that this makes 6 servings. (Oh, and it's to die for too!!!!) :oops:

kitchenelf said:
For 2 desserts I'd say that might be close - I'm going to post my recipe for Dark Chocolate Souffle Cakes with Espresso Chocolate Sauce. Take a look at that - remembering that this makes 6 servings. (Oh, and it's to die for too!!!!) :oops:

Thanks elf. I looked at the other souffle recipes I have and one calls for 8 oz of chocolate for 6 c of souffle and the other calls for 4 oz for 4 c of souffle.

What do you think of upping the chocolate to 1 oz?

You're asking me???????? :oops:

What about making those little chocolate balls from the other recipe and placing them in the bottom of your 2 ramekins? I'd say the left-overs from that could be kept in the freezer. I think the Espresso-Chocolate sauce would be easy enough to cut in half also.

What do you think? (see, I can ask YOU that - look at your name!!!!) 8)

kitchenelf said:
You're asking me???????? :oops:

What about making those little chocolate balls from the other recipe and placing them in the bottom of your 2 ramekins? I'd say the left-overs from that could be kept in the freezer. I think the Espresso-Chocolate sauce would be easy enough to cut in half also.

What do you think? (see, I can ask YOU that - look at your name!!!!) 8)

I know, I know, but this one has me stumped! :oops: Too much chocolate and the souffle will be too heavy and too little and...well, who likes anything with too little chocolate?!?

I love the idea of the chocolate balls and that would up the chocolate flavor. I'd have to play around with the cayenne proportion though so I didn't loose that flavor. I'm going to make your recipe in a few weeks when we have some of hubby's coworkers over.

I personally would make the recipe as stated - I wouldn't change a thing. Souffles are a tricky beast - best not to mess with it. JMHO opinion of course.

The dessert sounds like a flourless cake type thing, densely chocolate, with only a bit of flour to hold it together. I'm inclined to think it should have read 4 oz. of chocolate. I'm looking right now at the wrapper from a Hersey's 1-Carb chocolate bar; it's 1.1 oz, and it's pretty small. Four ounces of chocolate isn't that much for what amounts to a cup and a half of mass.

I'm looking at some flourless chocolate dessert recipes. One calls for 6 eggs, 1/2 cup sugar and a pound of chocolate. Another calls for 5 eggs, 1/2 cup sugar and 5 oz. chocolate. Another calls for 3 eggs, 1/2 cup sugar and 4 oz. chocolate. And another, 5 eggs, 1/2 cup sugar and 10 oz. chocolate.

I'm not sure I'm right about this; I've never made a flourless chocolate recipe. But if my Hershey's bar is a measure, 1/4 oz is about the size of two one inch by 3/4 inch squares of eating chocolate. You know that can't be right!

Good luck. I hope you solve the mystery. The recipe looks great.

Cats

Elf, I thought you'd be interested in the results of this "mystery" recipe. As I started making it it just didn't seem right. So I upped the chocolate to 1/2 oz from 1/4 oz and used 2 egg whites instead of 1. I also spilled 1/2 c of sugar on the floor but you could skip that step! :roll: It was a gamble but it turned out very well!

I'm anxious to try your friend's recipe next. The liquid center sounds SO good!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom