Danish treat Begge Norre(?) spelling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larkylouz

Assistant Cook
I am trying to track down the proper spelling of a Danish treat my father used to make at Christmas time. The closest spelling my aunt could come up with is "Bekke Norre", but my Googling didn't bring up anything with that spelling. I am NOT looking for a recipe - my cousins could provide that. I just need to know how to spell it.

Begge Norre was made of wheat flour and perhaps some spices like cinnamon. The result was cut into cubes of about 1/2 inch across, and baked. My aunt says sugar was dear in those days, so it wasn't sweet. Truth be told, I think my Dad was the only one to eat it. I thought it was pretty boring and tasteless when there was fudge available.

I'd sure appreciate any clues any of you could send my way. Tell you what - if I find an answer, I'll try to get the recipe posted here for those interested.

Thanks all --

Larkylouz

I remember a similar "cookie" from the days of my youth. Our family made small anise flavored cube shaped cookies about the size of a sugar cube. Hard as rocks if memory serves.

No idea what they were called. Sounds like a similar thing though.

RE: Bekke Norre spelling

LOL - yes, definitely hard as rocks. Good clue I'd forgotten.

I remember a similar "cookie" from the days of my youth. Our family made small anise flavored cube shaped cookies about the size of a sugar cube. Hard as rocks if memory serves.

No idea what they were called. Sounds like a similar thing though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom