Pea and Ham soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lady celestial

Assistant Cook
I have some dried peas, some split peas, some green lentils and some home boiled ham. Has anyone got a recipe for some soup please? Thanks.

you're welcome, m'lady.

be sure to read through the whole thread because in subsequent attempts at making it, i ended up adding par boiled cubed potatoes at the end which we really like fir taste and texture.

if you make it, please let me know how it comes out.:chef:

you're welcome, m'lady.

be sure to read through the whole thread because in subsequent attempts at making it, i ended up adding par boiled cubed potatoes at the end which we really like fir taste and texture.

if you make it, please let me know how it comes out.:chef:
I always add potatoes to my pea soup. Thats how my mom did it.

Last edited:
Lady C, this is a perfect time to make soups. I am hoping to finagle a ham bone after New Year's day. It's a fair trade, as I will bring back a container of soup to share. AND this time, I am going to make it in a crock pot. I book marked BT's soup thread recipe (above) to use as a guide, since I have never done this in a crock pot.

I add taters too, and close to the end of the cooking. My soup is sometimes quite fatty, and is better if cooled and the fat layer skimmed off. I sometimes can't wait and have a well stirred bowl. Then skim it the next day and reheat. Soup is always better on the repeat.

When will the soup be ready LC? Should we just stop by? Seriously though, it sounds great, and I have never made that kind of soup myself. I sure love eating that and almost any kind of soup!

Pea soup cooks pretty quick (unless you need to boil a smoked ham bone that takes extra time). So you can have yummy soup in a short time.

I have some dried peas, some split peas, some green lentils and some home boiled ham. Has anyone got a recipe for some soup please? Thanks.

All you need with that are a few vegies...a large chopped onion, a couple of sliced carrots, and a large potato, cubed into bite-sized pieces. Throw the everything except the lentils in a pot, cover with water, and cook over medium heat until it's almost done. Add the lentils and cook about 20 more minutes. They don't take long, and they disappear if you overcook them. Of course they will still add flavor and thickness, so you can do it either way, I guess. Do NOT add any salt until it's cooked for a while, so you can tell how much salt the ham added.
Serve it with cornbread for dipping.

Oh...you might also add a teaspoon of baking soda to the pot...there's going to be a lot of gas going on there.

Last edited:
Oh, my dear! I've had a taste for pea soup for a week or so, but don't want to make it until I can get to Webers, in Wisconsin, for the very best ham-hocks there are.

I like to simmer the ham bone/hocks (for those vegetarians out there, grill a mix of veggies on coals) with onions and garlic, some thyme, a bit of sage, a bay leaf.

When the broth is starting to taste good, toss in the split peas (no reason lentils can't go as well).

At this point, make sure you get off your duff and stir every 20 minutes or so, and add more water as it thickens.

When it is as thick as you like it, take off the burner.

Reheating ... the best part of pea soup is the leftovers. Pea soup multiplies by itself. I highly recommend nuking the leftovers, it is way, WAY too easy to burn it on the stove. The great thing about it is that if you start with pea soup for one from the fridge or freezer, you have pea soup for two once you've heated it and added some water (or broth).

Pea Soup and Johnny Cake, makes a French-man's belly ache!

The soup was delicious. I chucked in some gloves of garlic, a parsnip and a potato so it was a whole meal. Yummy. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom