Healthy Snacks for Church

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
The New Year is almost here and as providence would have it I have been charged with bringing the snack to place in the foyer at church on New Year's Day. I have been trying to think of a helathy snack that isn't too "ho, hum". I considered doing Alton Brown's 100% oat flour cookies but I'm sure that there are those who would still complain. I know that I can't accomodate all of the various diets that will rear their ugly heads at this time of year but I do feel that I should make some effort to pay homage to folk's diets. We have done meats and cheeses, fruit and nuts, and of course all manner of baked goods. Any ideas out there?

Do you want to bake or bring something else? Are you the only one bringing something or one of many? If so, are most people bringing sweets? If so, maybe you'd like to bring something like fresh tomatoes, onion, feta, fresh oregano, marinated in olive oil and vinegar, some whole-wheat crackers?

Or, Roma tomatoes, scooped out on the equator and stuffed with tuna or egg salad. Easy to hold and eat. Remember the KISS theory. Keep It Simple Stupid. I find that scooping out the tomatoes with an ice tea or grapefuit spoon works fine.

I would avoid nuts. Some people can't even be near them due to a severe allergy. :chef:

Last edited:
Are you paying for this and/or is there a budget? How many people?

Craig

Oh, I hope I haven't misled folks. Our church is very small. I will be the only one bringing something. This is just a little snack so that folks aren't so hungry they can't concentrate on the service (you know how hard it can be to get everything done before church on Sunday, breakfast sometimes falls by the wayside.) Usually it's some kind of finger food, just a little nosh. And yes, I will be paying for it, just taking my turn. The tomatoe idea sounds yummy but I fear it won't work well for this application. Then again if I used grape tomatoes maybe it would work.

Everyone will be starting the new year resolution diet so I would put a bowl of apples, bananas, clementines etc... or a fruit cup in some plastic highball glasses with plastic spoons.

Here's one that might work. I got from Eatingwell.com a while back.

This is for 1 whole sandwich, or 4 little triangles, so scale it up accordingly.

Strawberry and Cream Cheese Sandwich

1 tablespoon reduced-fat cream cheese
1/4 teaspoon honey
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
2 slices very thin whole-wheat sandwich bread
2 medium strawberries, sliced

Combine cream cheese, honey and orange zest in a bowl.
Spread both slices of bread with the cheese mixture.
Place a layer of sliced strawberries on top of cheese on one slice.
Place other slice on top of strawbwerries.
Cut sandwich into 4 triangle shapes.

Last edited:
Oooh slice a cucumber into 1.5-inch chunks, carefully scoop out the center bit (leaving some on the bottom) so that it makes a little cup. Fill with whatever goodies you'd like: crab salad, smoked salmon + dill + yogurt, walnuts + blue cheese + onion, etc. Can use zucchini to make the cups instead of cucumber.

The New Year is almost here and as providence would have it I have been charged with bringing the snack to place in the foyer at church on New Year's Day. I have been trying to think of a helathy snack that isn't too "ho, hum". I considered doing Alton Brown's 100% oat flour cookies but I'm sure that there are those who would still complain. I know that I can't accomodate all of the various diets that will rear their ugly heads at this time of year but I do feel that I should make some effort to pay homage to folk's diets. We have done meats and cheeses, fruit and nuts, and of course all manner of baked goods. Any ideas out there?
I think I know what you're talking about... maybe. My church has two services and had a refreshment table in between. They also has Sunday school at that time. I don't know if you can get these where you are, but make little slider sandwiches stuffed with tuna, egg or ham salad. They are little rolls. My grandmother used to call the rolls butter-bits. It must be a local thing. You could also make tea sandwiches or tortilla pinwheels with the same salads.

All great ideas which I will be trying in the months to come. I decided to mix it up. Some pastry, baby bananas, dried apricots, little smokies, tiny, tiny cookies, and some mints. Hopefully everyone will find something they can munch. If not they will just have to deal with coffee. Oh, I may add a few nuts also.

All great ideas which I will be trying in the months to come. I decided to mix it up. Some pastry, baby bananas, dried apricots, little smokies, tiny, tiny cookies, and some mints. Hopefully everyone will find something they can munch. If not they will just have to deal with coffee. Oh, I may add a few nuts also.
My church also has tea available for those that don't like coffee.

The last job I had before I got sick was secretary for a Baptist church. I loved working there. Even though it was not my church, I found myself getting involved in their activities. It was a lot of fun and I made friends that I still have today. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom