Turkey and other birds done right!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pmeheran

Senior Cook
I don't know how long it will take to convince people there is an easier way to roast a bird and get it done juicy and flavorful. Many years ago a jewish lady told me the right way. Put it on a rack, above a pool of water and roast it breast down and do not bother with flipping it over. Few people admit to eating the skin anyway. Season it however you like and put a foil tent over it. Little or no basting is necessary. I found out that even if it is a little over done, the breast down method keeps it from being too dry. Trust her, it works. The juices run down into the breast meat preventing some of the drying people complain about. If, however you are obstinate or must have skin, do it your way.

I don't know how long it will take to convince people there is an easier way to roast a bird and get it done juicy and flavorful. Many years ago a jewish lady told me the right way. Put it on a rack, above a pool of water and roast it breast down and do not bother with flipping it over. Few people admit to eating the skin anyway. Season it however you like and put a foil tent over it. Little or no basting is necessary. I found out that even if it is a little over done, the breast down method keeps it from being too dry. Trust her, it works. The juices run down into the breast meat preventing some of the drying people complain about. If, however you are obstinate or must have skin, do it your way.

I forgot to add that I use free range birds when possible. The chickens and turkeys sold here taste of wet feathers and who know what else. The frozen turkeys taste too much like cafeteria food.

i'm with jpb, even more so.
i roast my boids breast down on a rack for most of the cooking time, then flip over and roast at a screamng hot temp for just a short while to crisp the skin. works everytime.

the only problem is flipping a hot hunk of unevenly weighted beast without burning yourself.

Last edited:
image-1517396827.jpg

image-891466307.jpg

These are the best things for lifting a Turkey. They are called bear claws. The mail order place they came from (20 years ago) is no longer in business. It was called Walter Drake. I have seen other turkey lifters but none as great as these.

^^ Get out of here! Love those. Sure beats the wooden spoon jabbed into the bird and a monster sized fork to try and roll it over. LOL

Zereh said:
^^ Get out of here! Love those. Sure beats the wooden spoon jabbed into the bird and a monster sized fork to try and roll it over. LOL

Makes it so easy!!! Almost like extending your hands so they can grab and withstand heat. Really wonderful!

Andy M. said:
Also a great tool for shredding pork shoulder for pulled pork.

They DO work great for pulled pork!
If you don't have them you are missing out on a lot of fun times in the kitchen!

Resurrection alert!

There is an "easy way" to roast a bird, but I don't agree with the OP. I've never roasted a dry, flavorless chicken or turkey in my life. In fact I just roasted two chickens last night, and the diners couldn't stop commenting on how juicy and flavorful they were, especially the breast meat.

I do not cook breast side down. Never have, so I've never had to flip a bird midway through cooking. I do not use a thermometer, aluminum foil, roasting bags, or a roasting rack. All of this seems like unnecessary fuss to me, and the furthest thing from "easy".

I have always cooked my birds in a mixture of oil, water, and whatever seasonings I chose at the bottom of whatever pan I use. I keep the meat moist by making many tiny slits in the bird, deep enough to catch whatever seasoned liquid I marinate/baste with, but small enough to go undetected when serving. The combination of the oil/water mixture, and the slits, never fails to keep my birds extremely moist and tender. And this method cuts down significantly on the need to baste often.

Try it, and see how it works for you.

Last edited:
I looked the bear claws up on Google. They are $9.99 but shipping charges are 7.99. I refuse to pay those exorbitant shipping charges, so won't be ordering them.

I also disagree with the OP that his way is the ONLY way to cook a turkey. Being that he's from Texas, I'm sure he's convinced himself that his method is the standard that others must live up to, but, just like the proverbial cat-skinning, there are several ways to accomplish this task and still have a tasty and juicy bird (WITH skin, I should add. This is a necessity as far as I'm concerned). These include, but are certainly not limited to, roasting, deep frying, and smoking.

My plan for this year is to try turkey on our rotisserie grill. I've had outstanding chickens and roasts cooked this way over the summer months, and they always come out juicy and falling-off-the-bone tender. The only remaining question in my mind is whether it will be warm enough to do so in November. Hopefully the weather cooperates.

I'll stick to my guns too. I roast, skin side up, either in a 425' oven, or between beds of charcoal, with wood for smoke. In the oven, the pan bottom serves as the drip pan, with plain water added, but not touching the bird. On the Webber, the drip pan is placed between the charcoal beds, and the vents are all closed half way. With both methods, the skin is oiled, or buttered, and seasoned with salt and granulated garlic. No basting, no fussing, not turning, no anything. Just leave it be until the meat thermometer reads 1645' in the thickest part of the meat.

The bird, be it turkey of any size, game hens, ruffed grouse, or chicken, come out ridiculously juicy, well flavored, and tender. I wish you could hear what people say about them, and not just my family.

Again, the only think I need to worry about after prepping, is pull the bird at 165' F. Let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the bird size. Carve.

I'm not going to say that my way is the only way, or even the best way. I am going to say that it's the best way for me.

It is the easiest way I know to cook a bird.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom