What are you doing ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
New Years Eve, and what have you done in the past, and what are your favorite memories. To me it seems strange that as soon as I got old enough to have fun on New Years Eve, it became a family holiday. Nothing wrong with that, but, gee, how about a bottle of bubbly, some great sparkly dresses, etc!

I've had some odd times ringing in the new year. One year I was so friggin' sick with the flu (I'd not gotten around to have the shot and caught it big time. I'm tired of people telling me they "got" the flu from the shot, and theyhad an upset tummy for a few days. I was so sick I lost 15 or so pounds, and had to make a minute by minute decision about whether to sit on the throne or kneel next to it),

As I was recovering, some acquaintances from the east coast (we were assigned to Hawaii) showed up out of the blue. We showed them around (me dragging ass), and eventually sent them off

Then we wee invited to a new year's day brunch at some admiral's house. Got there, enjoyed an hour or so. I was still feeling a bit puny, but it was a typically beautiful Hawaii day. I asked hubby to park and let me walk on the beach on the way home. I went into one of the hotels there and booked us a room.

Very spontaneous, and we thoroughly enjoyed the day.

one of the best ideas i ever had was to go to dinner and a broadway show on new year's eve.

i'd get tickets for an 8pm show or thereabouts, then dw and i would head into the city around 5pm and put the car in a lot in the broadway/times square district, just before the police would shut down the entire area for the later celebration.

we'd first go to dinner at sardi's, or mamma leone's, or frankie and jonnie's, then go see the show.

at roughly 10pm when the show let out, we'd go to a bar in the theater district for a couple of warm-me-ups before heading out into the cold and the madness of times square on new tear's eve around 11:30.

it was a perfect set up. all of the thousands of poor dumb bastards with us had been standing around for hours in the cold, and we just stumbled out at the right time, satiated and relaxed, and got to watch the ball drop with everyone, feeling no pain.

the only downside was then having to wait an hour or more in the parking garage to get my car back, but it was worth it.

i'd tip the valet a few bucks, we'd go for a nightcap, and when the streets reopened my car was warm and ready for a very careful ride home.

good times.

I remember the new year's eves that I lived in Germany. My parents were always out partying at the NCO club. But at midnight, I'd rouse my little sisters and hand them something to make noise with. We had some bells, but it might just be a pot and a spoon. At midnight everyone would be outside making noise, the church bells rang. I remember my first new year's eve back stateside (Utah), stepping out at midnight and it was dead silent. I didn't even bother to wake the sisters.

I have worked every New Years Eve for the last 25 years. Either as a musician or a cook. I wouldn't know what to do if I had one off. Probably stay in. Playing out is fun because the band usually gets dinner for ourselves and one guest each..so, it is a night out of sorts. It can be a long one, though. And we usually get double pay, to boot. So, I go out and come home with more money in my pocket than I left with...Bonus!

Here's where I am tonight. Looks like Polish food for me...http://wilnotavern.com/

Last edited:
When we lived in Florida, my family was always happy to take the dogs, so we'd go spend a night or two at an old inn or B&B. One of my favorites was Cedar Key. We arrived and put our stuff in our room, then chatted with the owners. He said he was disappointed, he'd had a full house, but one couple "discovered" that the room had twin beds and cancelled ("I sent them a picture of the room!"). It was such a funny, remote old place, but the rooms were all taken. We hit the bar of an old hotel (I love old hotels). By the time we got there, the proprietor knew what we drank (huh?). We sat down and overheard two men talking near us. They were asking the bartender where there was rooms to be had. They said they were not gay and wanted a room with two beds, or two rooms. My husband laughed and introduced himself and told them which B&B to call. The bartender said, but I know they're full. Husband said that they'd just had a cancellation an hour ago, call. The men got the room and the B&B owner gave him 10% for filling his beds. I mean, seriously, what are the chances. It was as if someone was orchestrating the scene. We all had a lovely breakfast together the next morning. It was a neat little island. Most of the other guests were bird-watchers.

I worked for so many years that I think my favorites are just staying home and spending time with my family in NY and enjoying good food.

I wasn't terribly enthusiastic about going to a NYE party, but, as usual, had a wonderful time. I'm not a late night person so for some reason never look forward to these. If I (or hubby, for that matter) had to drive, we wouldn't go. BUt these are neighborhood things and we enjoyed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom