San Antonio--here I come!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I don't know where to put this--maybe we need a new forum/sub-forum--traveling--foodie places?

I am heading to San Antonio the end of the month. I will be on my own for four days, with the folks hosting the meetings for the remainder. I am staying in the RiverWalk area--restaurants, foodie shops, cool places a foodie might like to visit? I am not renting a car, so everything has to be someplace I can get by public transport, taxi, or prevailing on my friend who has 1 day to spend with me and lives about 40 miles north of San Antonio. Ideas?

No suggestions but it sure sounds like a fun trip. Have fun in the sun and remember the Alamo!

The Guenther House is not to be missed. This is the home of the founders of Pioneer Flour. Products from C.H. Guenther and Sons are sold under the Pioneer label can be found in every grocery store in Texas.

The house has a restaurant, store, and museum. Highly rated and a great way to experience the flavor "old" San Antonio.

Lulu’s Bakery and Cafe for the 3.5 pound cinnamon roll:chef:

and then.....

Lunch at the Big Lou’s Pizza to have a 42" pizza:pig::pig:

And finally for dinner.....

Chunky’s Burgers for the spicy Four Horseman burger:chef::chef::chef:

I'm born, raised, and live in San Antonio but I don't much go to the touristy places, or downtown that much either. I honestly think the foodie places are more hole in the wall than anything, and you'll find literally tons of Mexican and Tex-Mex places all over. I'd avoid the places on the Riverwalk but that's just me. San Antonio takes its breakfast tacos seriously so I'd definitely recommend some breakfast tacos.
If you're interested in some foodie recommendations:

La Fonda on Main

Chacho's, great margaritas always voted #1, open 24/7

Cappy's/Cappyccinos

Frederick's Bistro

Las Palapas is always popular with locals and open 24/6 (closed Sunday). I recommend the Macho Burrito it's their specialty. Their breakfast tacos are delicious.

Los Robertos Taco Shop, 24/7 hole in the wall place that has great tacos and burritos. Definitely recommend the carnitas and lengua tacos. They're known for the California Burrito.

Big'z Burger Joint, seriously if you miss this place it's a shame, make sure you make the burger "dirty" for $1 extra. Owned by Chef Andrew Weissman, if that means anything to you. Chunky's is only popular because it was on Man vs. Food but I've heard since the show aired they are always packed and the quality is sub-par.

Wildfish, great seafood and great happy hour.

If you want more recommendations let me know.

Last edited:
I'm born, raised, and live in San Antonio but I don't much go to the touristy places, or downtown that much either. I honestly think the foodie places are more hole in the wall than anything, and you'll find literally tons of Mexican and Tex-Mex places all over. I'd avoid the places on the Riverwalk but that's just me. If you're interested in some foodie recommendations:
La Fonda on Main

Chacho's, great margaritas always voted #1, open 24/7

Cappy's/Cappyccinos

Frederick's Bistro

Las Palapas is always popular with locals and open 24 hours

Big'z Burger Joint, seriously if you miss this place it's a shame, make sure you make the burger "dirty" for $1 extra. Owned by Chef Andrew Weissman, if that means anything to you. Chunky's is only popular because it was on Man vs. Food but I've heard since the show aired they are always packed and the quality is sub-par.

Wildfish, great seafood and great happy hour.

If you want more recommendations let me know.
I don't know if I dare go by myself--one of my co-workers told me not to travel south of Riverwalk alone.

Last edited:
All the places I listed (I added a few to the list after you quoted me) are North Central San Antonio, AKA the "nicer side of town."

I'll add a few more options too, variety is the spice of life and stuff:

Silo Elevated Cuisine
Freebird's World Burrito
Whataburger if you want fast food. They say it competes with In'n'Out.
Brasserie Pavil
Auden's Kitchen
Green, vegetarian food

CWS4322 said:
Thanks--good to know. The other 4 editors have not booked "early" travel. I thought--I've never been--want to!

Oh wow, CWS, wish I could go with you! The food sounds wonderful! Thanks, No Mayo, I'm living vicariously!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom