Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Are you smarter than a 2nd grader? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/are-you-smarter-than-a-2nd-grader-77161.html)

Alix 01-07-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blissful (Post 1092726)
So, I told my manager he was pusillanimous (a word I learned at a very young age). He was not offended, he had no idea what it meant.:ohmy:

Lucky he didn't decide to get brave and find the dictionary for THAT word! I love your stories blissful. You described so clearly for me what I felt as a kid the day I realized I could READ! I owned the world! I've never lost that moment.

blissful 01-07-2012 11:22 AM


Quote:

I love your stories blissful. You described so clearly for me what I felt as a kid the day I realized I could READ! I owned the world! I've never lost that moment.


Thanks Alix........it's cool to own the world isn't it? WE OWN THE WORLD of WORDS!

PrincessFiona60 01-07-2012 12:49 PM

I was taught to read with a Dictionary and access to a set of Encyclopedias, it was my job to look things up. I was given assist if I still needed it AFTER. I remember looking up words that would take me 45 minutes to understand, because I had to look up more words in the definitions.

Aunt Bea 01-07-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 (Post 1092810)
I was taught to read with a Dictionary and access to a set of Encyclopedias, it was my job to look things up. I was given assist if I still needed it AFTER. I remember looking up words that would take me 45 minutes to understand, because I had to look up more words in the definitions.


L. Ron Hubbard the creator of Scientology/Dianetics was very emphatic about the use of a dictionary to "clear words" as he called it. He encouraged everyone to have a dictionary at hand when reading or studying. It makes sense, even if you do not agree with some his other views.

Whiskadoodle 01-07-2012 06:47 PM

Palindromes. Here's a Nice one and you have to listen to it all the way through. :smile: 1 minute 45 seconds

Lost Generation - YouTube

Andy M. 01-07-2012 09:13 PM

Very clever, but not a palindrome. I actually like it better than a palindrome. It took some thought to write and arrange sentences to have opposite meanings read in reverse order.

buckytom 01-07-2012 10:32 PM

must have been written by a first grader...

Whiskadoodle 01-07-2012 10:48 PM

Redder around the ears am I. Just sign me up to repeat 2nd grade! :ermm:

buckytom 01-07-2012 11:25 PM

lol, whiska.

one of the things that i really liked about the book was that the main character is repeatedly told to use a dictionary to help him discover the 4 words.

i was pleasantly surprised when my son asked for his own dictionary after reading it.

btw, the book is called "punished" by david lubar, in case anyone's interested.

PrincessFiona60 01-07-2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckytom (Post 1093089)
lol, whiska.

one of the things that i really liked about the book was that the main character is repeatedly told to use a dictionary to help him discover the 4 words.

i was pleasently surprised when my son asked for his own dictionary after reading it.

btw, the book is call "punished" by david lubar, in case anyone's interested.

Did he get his own Dictionary? Did he get to pick it out?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.