ISO - TNT Parsley Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
right now there is an enormous bunch of italian parsley sitting in my fridge, getting increasingly more limp each day with no plan in sight. the pantry is looking rather forlorn too. i'm thinking i should try making a parsley soup, but i don't know what all would taste good with a parsley base. potentially, a soup made with parsley could be quite interesting--or a disaster! what are some ingredients that might combine with parsley to make a tasty soup? potatoes, onions, carrots, peppers, cauliflower? i've googled parsley soup, but so far all i've been able to resolve is that it should be a cream soup with a chicken or vegetable broth.

i would happily entertain any other parsley-based recipes or ideas (besides soup) that anyone might have to use up this lovely flat-leafed parsley of mine...:)

I used to have a recipe that used 3 bunches of curly parsley, 3 bunches of Italian, chicken stock, and cottage cheese...I believe it was called Parisian Parsley Soup. It was very, very good...wish I could find the recipe.

If you don't find a good use for it just put it into a plastic bag and toss it in the freezer. It will be fine to use in cooked things like tomato sauce and white clam sauce. Just pull it out and chop off what you need and then toss it back in the freezer. When all you have left is a bunch of stems toss them into the stock pot.

if you're set on a soup, i would go with a thai tom yum style soup. hot and sour with a lot of garlic.

parsley and garlic go well together, and any bitterness from the parsley will become just another layer within the tom yum.

if you can't find galangal and keffir lime leaves, there are a number of good tom yum soup pastes available in many markets that will do.

add boiling water to the soup base, mix in a load of chopped parsley, some extra garlic, button mushrooms, scallions, and either popcorn shrimp or shredded chicken breast.
:chef:

if you're set on a soup, i would go with a thai tom yum style soup. hot and sour with a lot of garlic.

parsley and garlic go well together, and any bitterness from the parsley will become just another layer within the tom yum.

if you can't find galangal and keffir lime leaves, there are a number of good tom yum soup pastes available in many markets that will do.

add boiling water to the soup base, mix in a load of chopped parsley, some extra garlic, button mushrooms, scallions, and either popcorn shrimp or shredded chicken breast.
:chef:

i was thinking of a cream soup at first, but i like your idea better, bt. parsley is a rather pungent presence, though not so potent when cooked(?) so tom yum it will be (as soon as i quick find some to buy) with the mushrooms and garlic a given. i think i still want to add carrots for sweetness and edamame, which i love so....

thanks to you and everyone for your help with this parsley thing. i didn't know parsley could be frozen--i thought freezing would turn it into black sludge....:)

The recipe at this link is as close as I recall re: the soup I used to make. I would host spinning (as it fiber, not exercise, although one's ankles and calves do get exercise) afternoons and serve this soup with homemade wholewheat pita bread. The others would bring dishes / snacks to go with it.

Parsley Soup Recipe | Cookthink

I don't remember pureeing it. I would think it would be good with feta or another cheese one could crumble...

The recipe at this link is as close as I recall re: the soup I used to make. I would host spinning (as it fiber, not exercise, although one's ankles and calves do get exercise) afternoons and serve this soup with homemade wholewheat pita bread. The others would bring dishes / snacks to go with it.

Parsley Soup Recipe | Cookthink

I don't remember pureeing it. I would think it would be good with feta or another cheese one could crumble...

i'm stalled with the parsley soup for the time being--couldn't find tom yum soup in two supermarkets that i shop. i haven't checked the asian markets here yet, but i guess it's just a matter of time before i go that route. the list is getting longish....

i like your recipe, cws, especially the cottage cheese in there. right now i'm working on a pot of pea soup i made last night. i had a bowl of it for breakfast this wintry morning too....:)

The parsley soup sounds awesome! I've got a boatload of parsley still thriving in the herb garden. Is this soup also good cold?

The parsley soup sounds awesome! I've got a boatload of parsley still thriving in the herb garden. Is this soup also good cold?
Kathleen--it does make a good cold soup. As I recall, I used to add lemon creme fraiche to "dress it" or slices of lemon. It was very popular with the gang. I also would make it with vegetable stock when the vegetarian gals were coming to spin.

Last edited:
many of the recipes on the internet for parsley soup were for a cold "summer" soup--usually paired with avocados, potatoes or cucumbers, pureed.

I know that I clipped this recipe originally from a cooking magazine. I know the page is tucked between the pages of one of my cookbooks...just don't know which of the 1000 it is in! I served it warm. I really liked it--I liked the flavor, the simplicity, and the use of the cottage cheese. But I think what I did was chop the parsley first in the FP...It was called Parisian Spring Soup or Parisian Parsley Soup, but I can't find that recipe on the Internet. The only ingredient in the link that I'm not sure about is the coriander...and, I'd make it with Meyer lemon juice! Now that I've fallen in love with Meyer lemons.

Last edited:
I add parsley to all the soups I make, but making specifically parsley soup, that is interesting. I have a decent recipe for parsley dip, if you interested though.

Back
Top Bottom