Best way to clean oven grills/barbecue grills???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexR

Senior Cook
I have a new kitchen and am delighted with it.
I am getting used to induction and find it mostly good news.

We have a new oven now too, one with a self-cleaning program (pyrolysis) that works well.

However, it is annoying that when the oven is looking like a million dollars, the grills remain dirty no matter how hard you scrub them (not an easy task, either!).
I just can't seem to get them looking as good no matter how hard I try.

Does anyone know an efficient method and/or chemical they can recommend to clean the grills?

All the best,
Alex R.

Alex, are you referring to the shelves in the oven? I leave them in the oven during cleaning. This gets them perfectly clean BUT discolors the shiny chrome finish.

I spray the grills with an oven cleaner, put the grills (racks) in a plastic garbage bag for 24 hours, and then scrub them. This works pretty well.

I spray the grills with an oven cleaner, put the grills (racks) in a plastic garbage bag for 24 hours, and then scrub them. This works pretty well.

I do the same thing and my oven grills/racks come out just like new. This method has worked for me even with really yucky gunk spilled/cooked on. And, I have to add that my oven was new in 1999 and the racks look just like they did when the oven was installed.

I do the same thing and my oven grills/racks come out just like new. This method has worked for me even with really yucky gunk spilled/cooked on. And, I have to add that my oven was new in 1999 and the racks look just like they did when the oven was installed.

I've never used the garbage bags for it, but I spray them and let them set for 24 hours. Works perfectly!

Timothy, what I've discovered is that the sealed environment of the trash bags help to "fume" the racks with the cleaner, which results in a very thorough cleaning and a much, much easier scrub down.
That's been my experience as well. I am sensitive to oven cleaner, so I use it sparingly. I spray the racks outside. This technique worked great on the grills for that smoker I brought back from MN. I just haven't gotten around to using the smoker, yet.

Timothy, what I've discovered is that the sealed environment of the trash bags help to "fume" the racks with the cleaner, which results in a very thorough cleaning and a much, much easier scrub down.

That's excellent thinking and a solid scientific reason to do so. I'll do that from now on! I LOVE "easy".

I have a new kitchen and am delighted with it.
I am getting used to induction and find it mostly good news.

We have a new oven now too, one with a self-cleaning program (pyrolysis) that works well.

However, it is annoying that when the oven is looking like a million dollars, the grills remain dirty no matter how hard you scrub them (not an easy task, either!).
I just can't seem to get them looking as good no matter how hard I try.

Does anyone know an efficient method and/or chemical they can recommend to clean the grills?

All the best,
Alex R.

The method of spraying and wrapping the grills up over night is the easiest and fastest way to go. If you don't want to go the oven cleaner route because of the fumes, cost, time. Spray them with some ammonia that's been diluted with a little water. By morning a little scrub under hot water all the grease is removed. It also works for the stove top grates.

Back
Top Bottom