ISO - Non-Tomato Based Pizzas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
It does have it's place, I've been making them for years as I have a nephew who is severely allergic to tomatoes. He was always left out of pizza parties, because of this allergy.

His first, for Jon Patrick, pizza was a Chicken and Garlic Alfredo with steamed Broccoli...the best because his Aunt Fiona made it just for him.

What else can we put on a pizza that is NOT tomato-based?

Ah, good! I think something I said in a recent post might have encouraged this topic. It's not that I don't like tomato recipes as much as that I think tomato-only pizza is too limiting. Sometimes I want tomato and sometimes I don't. Let's satisfy the "don't want tomato" pizza craving.

Does anybody have a non-tomato Thai pizza suggestion? (Never mind that Thai and pizza don't go together at all. Think "fusion"...)

Ah, good! I think something I said in a recent post might have encouraged this topic. It's not that I don't like tomato recipes as much as that I think tomato-only pizza is too limiting. Sometimes I want tomato and sometimes I don't. Let's satisfy the "don't want tomato" pizza craving.

Does anybody have a non-tomato Thai pizza suggestion? (Never mind that Thai and pizza don't go together at all. Think "fusion"...)

Greg,
What about using peanut sauce instead of pizza sauce and topping the pizza with shrimp, green onions, shredded carrot and shredded bell peppers? These are things I put in my Thai Salad Rolls that are then dipped in my killer peanut sauce. :yum:

My absolute favorite non-tomato pizza is caramelized balsamic onions, goat cheese crumbles, and walnuts. When it comes out of the oven, drizzle a little good quality EVOO over the whole thing. No sauce. No meat.

My wife and I have this about twice a month and never get tired of it.

Bruschetta, Foccacia...love to use these as a base for "pizza."

I like bruschetta topped with typical anitpasto and shavings of peccorino-romano. And yes, even some chopped sun-dried tomatoes. Okay, now I have to go raid the fridge.

Alfredo sauce, baby spinach, sauteed red onions and shrimp, when baked shaved Parmesan.

Looks pretty good, but they missed on the Southwestern...mild enchilada sauce, chorizo, Hatch's Green Chilies and Shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese...now THAT's a Southwestern pizza:pig::pig:
You've got to be kidding on the Hatch's chiles. The only ones available here are the ones I have sent from Denver each fall.

Looks pretty good, but they missed on the Southwestern...mild enchilada sauce, chorizo, Hatch's Green Chilies and Shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese...now THAT's a Southwestern pizza:pig::pig:
Roasted red pepper, green pepper, italian sausage, onions, and an alfredo parmesian white sauce. That's what passes for southwestern pizza here.

My absolute favorite non-tomato pizza is caramelized balsamic onions, goat cheese crumbles, and walnuts. When it comes out of the oven, drizzle a little good quality EVOO over the whole thing. No sauce. No meat.

My wife and I have this about twice a month and never get tired of it.

This sounds fabulous Steve! I have to try it soon!:yum:

Shrimp scampi

Onions, black olives and anchovies

Artichokes or broccoli with garlic and oil

Pesto

Last edited:
Blue cheese, crawfish tails, doctored apricot preserve with hot spices and carmalized red onion.:yum:

Craig

Friend of mine used to make hummus spinach and mushroom pizza that was really good. Personally I haven't venture into that terretory, but I liked the one he made. It was completely vegan, but good.

I really like Pesto Pizza. Throw on a little grilled chicken and mozz cheese. So good

Ah

A favorite we made at one restaurant I worked at was Thai sweet chili sauce for a base, sliced chicken breast, red pepper or just about anything else you want on there....when topped with mozzerella you had a great sweet and salty thang goin' on......mucho mojo!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom