What to have with _______?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FluffyAngel

Senior Cook
What to have with boiled stew beef?

I have a few pounds of stew beef I plan to boil with just an onion & salt & pepper for a simple rustic stew beef. That will be the finished product - No beef stew with thickened gravy. I do love the beef stew with gravy but each has it's place & I'm in the mood for the simple plain version. I will probably have either cornbread or biscuits so now I'm looking for side dish options. Ideas greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
If you are not going to brown the meat first, I would suggest cooking the stew beef in some canned tomatoes (season with soy sauce and serve with rice, or with Italian seasonings and serve with pasta, etc.). :)

Cabbage salad or some other fresh, sharp taste to playoff against the beef.

Cooked carrot coins, inexpensive and nice color.

If you are mixing up some biscuits, a puny little peach cobbler with a smidgen of vanilla ice cream would be nice!

Since it sounds like you aren't putting any carrots, or potatoes in the stew, I assume
you probably want something different. So for a side dish, I'd go with a simple
salad of chopped Romaine lettuce, Roma Tomato slices, Cucumber slices, and some
Black Olives.....drizzle some Extra Virgin Olive Oil on top, a little Sea Salt, and some
fresh ground Black Pepper should finish it off. (maybe some Shiitake mushrooms too)

When I make a beef bourguignon or carbonnade I always serve it with simple boiled potatoes with white pepper and loads of fresh parsley, and usually steamed carrots..with some kind of sweet pickle on the side.....

Last edited:
Rocklobster: please tell me more about those beef dishes you mentioned above. :))

I actually did prepare biscuits and cornbread, garlic potatoes and for the fresh part a cabbage and broccoli slaw, and the peach cobbler was a great idea also I just couldn't resist. Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom