What to do with a whiny husband??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm... wish I had a solution. Yours, of not cooking, is the only one I know of. You're not going to change him. Have friends over when you want to cook. I've been in that situation, as has at least one friend of mine over the many years. No point in banging your head against a wall, that after 5 years, you know isn't going to give. Concentrate on other areas of your marriage, and tell him if your food isn't good enough for him, go for it.

$5 million double indemnity clause in the life insurance. I only collect if Shrek dies of asphyxiation on goose down during a full moon.

Cook for you! He's a big boy, if he doesn't like what you fix he knows where the fridge and stove are.

I feel for you as I don't think I could cook for someone who didn't appreciate it. You must feel very intimidated, but as hard as it must be, I'd turn a deaf ear to his whining and cook what you want to eat. He's a big boy who is capable of getting out the milk and a box of cereal, or he can always learn to cook what he likes.

Last edited:
DH has been fancying himself somewhat of a food critic of late ("it needs something, it's not very good, I don't like it"). Fine. He fends for himself. And he always ends up eating what I made in the first place, no complaints, and comes back for more. It's nice to hear compliments, but if you like it, and invite him to eat it and he doesn't, tough noogies. Cereal it is.

Polished T, you are a wonderful cook! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise! WE know!

Last edited:
I don't have time for ungrateful and mean people. There's no way I'd ever be able to have a battle about or over food with an ADULT every day of the week. I'd kick his sorry ass to the curb ... <3 but that's just how I am.

I'm laughing at this. I started to answer and deleted and re-wrote it. Was afraid it wasn't nice enough. My first marriage (at age 19) was very short lived, and although that wasn't the primary reason, I swore I'd never marry a man who had no appreciation of good food! More specifically, MY good food I may have lacked self-confidence otherwise, but not in my cooking). Married to a man who's been eating my food for 30+ years, but also knows when I need a grand meal out or just to get out of the kitchen. In 30 years, you know I've had a few disasters (hubby claims only two, but I can think of a few others!), but we laugh at them together.

I don't know how long you've been married, but hubby and I had one pre-nup. S/He who is doing the job, is doing it right; PERIOD. You don't think I'm doing it right, here's the stove (washer/dryer, mop, job), go for it.

Fiona said what I did in that first (cancelled) answer (what else is new, have we ever disagreed): Divorce or Murder!

PolishedTopaz said:
Seriously Major WHINER!!!! No matter what I cook, method, style, protien, veg, starch. Honestly he is the reason I stopped cooking for 4+ years!

:furious:
:bash:
:boxing:
:nuke:

What would you do???

Teach him to cook! Then cook and eat what you like. You could let him take you out to places where he likes to eat too. ;)

PolishedTopaz said:
:ROFLMAO: He managed to make raw and burnt eggs over easy in the same dish with the same eggs. A real accomplishment :ROFLMAO: Even he didn't eat them.

Did you eat them and say they were great so he would cook again???

PolishedTopaz said:
:ROFLMAO: He managed to make raw and burnt eggs over easy in the same dish with the same eggs. A real accomplishment :ROFLMAO: Even he didn't eat them.

When my kids were boy scouts they were good cooks but some of the other boys struggled. My favorite was when my son came home from a campout talking about "Oreo pancakes."; black on the outside, and still creamy in the inside. :D

I so want to reply to this thread. Because we all may have experienced this kind of thing in one way or another. All I can say is if you didn't cook for 4 years, don't wait so long next time. Hand him the spoon as soon as he opens his yap. Or turn up the volume on the kitchen radio. I have little wiggle room to talk tho. We got divorced, and it's been so long, I forget why, probably didn't just involve whining. :ohmy: We have learned a little bit about tolerance over the years, and can at least be in the same kitchen together, and even put together parts of the same dish. It's more productive and less elbows if we work at separate counters or at opposite ends of the table. I hope the Lip Service never quits, from either of us. :whistling

Well...the nice side of me says sit down on Sunday afternoons and plan the week's menu as a "team" activity. The mean side of me says "boot his arse" to the curb or tell him he's in charge of cooking and grocery shopping.

I feel for you as I don't think I could cook for someone who didn't appreciate it. You must feel very intimidated, but as hard as it must be, I'd turn a deaf ear to his whining and cook what you want to eat. He's a big boy who is capable of getting out the milk and a box of cereal, or he can always learn to cook what he likes.

I'm not intimidated, I Am Frustrated! And I do cook what I like, I laid down the law a week or so ago and said "Look.......it is rude to complain when someone cooks for you. I don't like it. It hurts my feelings. So KNOCK IT OFF, period" It worked well until last night. The thought and planning that went into the meal I cooked {not to mention the arguing with the manager at the supermarket} just pushed me over the edge for a minute.
The bright side......DD helped me cook {twas her BD dinner} and ate every bite.:yum:

I don't have time for ungrateful and mean people...I'd kick his sorry ass to the curb ... <3 but that's just how I am.

lol, isn't that being mean? :huh:

i find it funny how mean women get when they're ability to be caretakers is doubted (deserved or not).

sort of a self fulfilling thing.

i wonder, does anyone celebrate march 14th, valentines day for guys?

My first husband was a pro chef. We had one rule. Whoever cooks, no complaints and the one not cooking, cleans up. It worked for the whole marriage. Fortunately I learned to cook as a child so did not come into the marriage empty headed.

Husband #2 was so grateful after being married to a Freezer Queen and eating food cooked on a fishing vessel for many years, no matter what I cooked, he thought was gourmet food. Even scratch pancakes were like heaven's clouds to him. He was a joy to cook for. In turn, he taught me how to filet a fish so there was minimal flesh on the frame when I was done. He also taught me a couple of shrimp dishes.

Oddly enough I outlived both husbands. :chef:

lol, isn't that being mean? :huh:

i find it funny how mean women get when they're ability to be caretakers is doubted (deserved or not).

sort of a self fulfilling thing.

i wonder, does anyone celebrate march 14th, valentines day for guys?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with standing up for oneself. Nor for drawing a line in the sand about what's acceptable and what's not.

If you were being criticized for your work, in a similar manner, I'm sure you'd most certainly find a way to end it. Or you'd find a new job.

you missed the point of getting mean because you were critcized for not being nice. aww, forget it.

but i wouldn't be bitter about it, and then proud of the fact that i simply had self respect. you don't have to be an ass to stand up for yourself. it can be done gracefully, internally. that's what counts, not the drama.

Toss him some cheese, to go with his whine.

In all seriousness; don't do anything for him. If you can, eat a bigger meal at
lunchtime, then for dinner just have a couple of Apples, or Oranges, or
Bananas, with some Cottage Cheese, and maybe some Carrot sticks.
When he gets hungry enough he'll figure out how to fix something for himself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom