Kale chips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spork

Head Chef
My aunt introduced me to this very interesting and addictively tasty way to enjoy kale. I haven't cooked it myself yet, but there's not much to it...

debone kale and cut/shred into large mouthful size,
toss with a little olive oil and salt (or other seasoning),
spread on two or three cookie sheets,
bake/dry in oven at 250° for 20 minutes.
(allrecipes suggests 10-15 min at 350)

It's crispy, thin, lacey, and delicate. It dissolves in the mouth with a mild bitterness. Great snack food.

I love making kale chips. What you do is remove the stems. I like to spritz them with EVOO and then add spices--chilpote chile is one favorite. I linei the baking sheets with parchment paper. They are a big hit whenever I make them and serve them to guests. They also keep fairly well.

Timely post! I've been meaning to look up a recipe for kale chips, thanks!

kale is an interesting vegetable. i've had it raw in salads, sauteed with fish (okay, actually that's for tonite) and last week made it into a soup.

I saw this exact same recipe on another forum (a non-cooking forum with a cooking/recipe section) and it got raves there too. I want to try it!!!

I make a lot of kale chips in the summer and fall when kale is plentiful in the garden. You can eat kale chips without the guilt associated with potato chips.

The only problem I have with kale chips is that if I am making them myself then it takes way too much kale to make a worthwhile amount. Or maybe i just eat too much of it ;)

How much is too much? What's the price of a head of kale vs. price of a bag of potato chips?

Which is healthier? This is not a rhetorical question. I don't know the answer, but kale sounds more healthy if it's a choice of kale chips it or potato chips.

How much is too much? What's the price of a head of kale vs. price of a bag of potato chips?

Which is healthier? This is not a rhetorical question. I don't know the answer, but kale sounds more healthy if it's a choice of kale chips it or potato chips.
Kale is definitely healthier than potatoes. However, I am biased, I do not like "supermarket" kale. It is tough and bitter. The kale we grow is tender and sweet. We plant kale and potatoes in the garden. Seed potatoes are more expensive than kale seed. Kale is a relatively easy plant to grow. Potatoes get potato bugs (which the chickens love) but s/one has to pick the bugs off the plants, and digging potatoes is a lot more work than picking kale. Kale plants grow "upward" so one could easily incorporate some kale plants in one's flower beds (kinda like planting ornamental cabbage).

The only problem I have with kale chips is that if I am making them myself then it takes way too much kale to make a worthwhile amount. Or maybe i just eat too much of it ;)
Your problem is you don't have 60-75 kale plants and have to figure out what to do with all that kale!:LOL:

I'll have to start a cooking "to do" list, and add kale chips to it. I wish I had a general "to do" list and I'd add "start a cooking/foodie to do list" but alas I don't have that list either. I'll try to remember to check WFM and Trader Joe's for kale chips.

TL I'll look forward to your comments if you cook the recipe. You seem pretty savvy. :)

I'll have to start a cooking "to do" list, and add kale chips to it. I wish I had a general "to do" list and I'd add "start a cooking/foodie to do list" but alas I don't have that list either. I'll try to remember to check WFM and Trader Joe's for kale chips.

TL I'll look forward to your comments if you cook the recipe. You seem pretty savvy. :)

I followed Spork's instructions and they are very easy to make and very tasty. I also followed CWS4322's suggestion to use parchment paper. There was hardly any cleanup. The jelly roll pan and the cookie sheet were still clean.

The taste is unusual, but definitely yummy. I will definitely do that again. BTW, if you want to make these, you should consider getting organic kale. Kale is in the "dirty dozen" for pesticide residue on fruits and vegis. Executive Summary | EWG's Shopper's Guide to Pesticides | Environmental Working Group | EWG.org

Back
Top Bottom