A whole new knife 'set'!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silver

Senior Cook
I've been relatively dormant on here over the past few years as I got busy with opening my law practice and trying to keep up with life. I'm still cooking, still love cooking, and am even taking classes now!

Given that I maintained my love for cooking, I've decided to update my knife selection and went with the following:

Hattori HD-08 240mm gyuto for my main
900x600px-LL-0887f4c5_IMG_1175Medium.jpeg

Kagayaki VG-10 KV-2 150mm petty for my main secondary knife (I've always enjoyed using a 6" utility knife for smaller jobs...just a preference)
900x600px-LL-4baf5982_IMG_1176Medium.jpeg

Tojiro DP Damascus 165mm santoku for my wife (another thing that's changed since I was frequenting these parts...same girl...just the title's changed)

LL

Hattori FH-13C 270mm sujihiki for all of my slicing needs (this one's on it's way and I can't wait....I love cutting up a good roast!)
Img1109.jpg

I've also gathered a few other tidbits to help including a 10" Forschner Fibrox bread knife, some Forschner parers, some Chosera whetstones for sharpening, and a Saber Knives knife bag to carry stuff in when I'm going to class, etc.

All in all, I'm pretty happy! Lots of good chopping, slicing, and dicing in my future!

Oh my!!! Those are pretty!!

I think I need to order myself a new one now. Congrats on everything & welcome back.

Thanks guys!

Rob, I read a lot of your posts as I was deciding - very helpful - thanks for always being around to give your advice to those in need!

Haha, I have no doubt! It's all very addictive...which is probably why I just ordered a Moritaka #2 270mm gyuto to...round out the set? what the hell am I doing??? Ah well, more knives = more fun! I just wanted one carbon...and it looked REALLY cool.

Haha, I have no doubt! It's all very addictive...which is probably why I just ordered a Moritaka #2 270mm gyuto to...round out the set? what the hell am I doing??? Ah well, more knives = more fun! I just wanted one carbon...and it looked REALLY cool.

Sweet! I have that same Moritaka in Super Aogami- I think you'll love it. You won't believe the edge it will take.

Thatnks Tatt! I'm hoping this set will last me...well...forever. I don't see why not. Unless we start slicing with lasers...

And yeah, Rob, I've heard great things about the edges that they'll take. I thought long and hard about the differences between the AS and the #2 and took the retailer's recommendation on the #2 (maybe he just wanted to get rid of one of them because they don't sell as much..?) but he said he preferred it because it was more "carbon", a bit softer, and easier to sharpen and still held the edge really well.

In any event, I'm really looking forward to that one...that one, though, I might have to hide from the wife...she was pretty understanding about the first 8 that I bought but then, adding two more (the FH and the Mori)...haha...that's a bit much.

Your set of knives probably cost more than the first several cars I owned in my youth. Probably more that the first few cars, and the brand new mortorcycle purchased in 1976.:LOL: But I sincerely doubt that they were sharper than my broadheads. We're talking razor blade sharp, four blades at a time, with a razor sharp, chisled tip.

I hope you get great service from your steel. Owning a great knife is almost as fun as owning a hot bike, and can probably get you into as much trouble, almost.;)

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Well, I hope not to be shooting my knives around in the forest, so that should help!

Thanks guys!

Sharpening is my weak point right now...hoping that I can get this freehand thing figured out and wishing that I'd gone with an Apex right about now. I'm sure I'll get it going in time.

Well, I hope not to be shooting my knives around in the forest, so that should help!

Thanks guys!

Sharpening is my weak point right now...hoping that I can get this freehand thing figured out and wishing that I'd gone with an Apex right about now. I'm sure I'll get it going in time.
In the course of refining your freehand sharpening techniques you may also have to develop some scratch removal skills using materials like aluminum oxide pastes and Flitz with cork, leather, and felt pads.

There are those that will disagree with this, but from what I haave read on the subject, and from a physics and engineering standpoint, the convex bevel is the strongest and sharpest bevel for a knife edge. It is more difficult to create initially, but after it is done, stropping will keep your bevel honed razor sharp and will maintain the convex shape. Look up the techniques for creating and maintaining this edge, and the pros and cons about using it.

One of the things I like about Chroma knives is that they come from the factory with a convex edge

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I've wondered how much practical difference there is between the Moritaka "Supreme" line and the "#2". I suspect not much. Probably 97% as good for 30% less money.

Yep, Bill, I'm definitely figuring that that will happen. I'm going to ruin these beautiful blades but, hey, they're tools, right? Sigh.

Chief, I've read that as well. Chad Ward seems to have a bit of a thing for the convex edge but I haven't read too much about it, yet. Am I ready? Maybe I'll start with sharpening generally.

Rob, according to the retailer from whom I bought the #2 (Deluxe), he said that you probably wouldn't notice any difference unless you did a very careful A/B comparison between the two. Supreme should have a SLIGHTLY less likelihood of cracking/chipping because the Deluxe is more "pure" carbon (and therefore slightly easier to hone/sharpen). What's the worst that can happen?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom