Prelude to Valentine's Day: Your Most Romantic Flop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
It does not have to be cooking or food related, but what is the most romantic thing that you ever did, that did not work out how you intended (or a romantic gesture toward you that flopped)?

When I was taking my teaching classes there was a guy in a couple of my classes, who I was pretty taken with. I was very shy with men, but I managed to end up on a group project with him. We enjoyed talking to each other, and I learned a little about him (widowed, with 2 young sons, who I got to meet). That was as far as it ever went though.

The end of school was coming up fast and he wasn't making any moves, so (totally out of character for me) I decided that I had to take action if I had any hopes of him asking me out.

I made a bunch of fortune cookies, and for the "fortunes" I put a numbered message inside. Each word had a number, as well as each digit of my phone number. The message was something about him calling me, along with my phone number. If he put the "fortunes" in order he could read the message and my number. My plan was to give him the cookies on the last day, as we were leaving. Then the ball would be in his court, so to speak. I was nervous, but I was also excited to see what would happen. What happened was not what I expected to happen. On the last day of school...

He didn't come to class! I never saw him again! Sheesh! Of course, it all worked out, as I eventually found the best husband I could have ever hoped for, and I can laugh about it now. :D

My first Valentine's day dinner I made for my husband ... decided to roast a duck, something I'd never done before. I think I owned a cookbook. The thing is I marinaded the duck in a red wine marinade of my own device, and left it overnight. There my sweet-heart was due to show up, and when I took it out of the marinade it was the most lurid color of purple imaginable. Boyfriend arrived and I was beside myself in tears. Not only was it an unappetizing color of purple, but smoked like a sun-of-a-gun, so I welcomed him into an apartment full of smoke. HE calmed me down, and the duck actually tasted just fine, and the browning of the skin neutralized the color. In retrospect I'm sure the wine was very cheap and full of dyes! But it's an ongoing joke, 30+ years later: Remember the year of the purple duck?

I asked a girl to go see "Cats " and dinner, only I had the date wrong and I spent $130 on tickets to a show the week before the "date".
Made it through that disaster only to have Christmas come. I was a manager in a grocery store bakery and her parents, who I had never met were coming in for X-mas eve to pick her up for a trip to the other side of the state x-mas morning. I went to work Dec 23rd at 3am and did not get off until Dec 24th at 5pm( yes 40 hours straight ). I called her as soon as I got home to tell her I was going to shower, change clothes and be right over... then I sat down on the bed to get out of my nasty clothes. I woke up x-mas morning and never saw her again
Lucky me, as I also now have the family that I would not exchange for anything

Back
Top Bottom