Foreign Dessert Cheeses & Wines to Pair?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
Good Afternoon,

There are two Galician ( Northwest corner of Spain on Atlantic Coast ) cheeses I would like to highly recommend for your cheese platters and / or dessert course, now available in the USA:

1) Cebreiro:

Designation: Cebreiro, Lugo, Galicia, Spain

Content: 60% cow milk and 40% goat milk

Shape: A Chef´s Hat

Product and Origin: This delicacy hails from the farmers on the road to Santiago ( The Pilgrim´s Walk ). This white cheese is a soft granular cheese which is easily spreadable.

Matches: desserts with honey and / or marmalade, apple pie, fresh fruit, Granny Smith apples or Pears. Walnuts and roasted chestnuts too. A cake ot tart with rasberries, cherries or blueberries. Fresh Berries.

White wines: White wines from Galicia´s several designations pair perfectly however, if unattainable, then a Chardonnay or Riesling from California, Washington or Oregon shall go nicely too.

2) San Simón:

Designation: Villalba, Lugo, Galicia, Spain

Content: 100% cow milk

Shape: This cow cheese is shaped a bit like a spinning top however, with a bullet pointy top.

Product and Origin: This smoked cow variety was developed by village parishes centuries ago.

Product Features: The whitish yellow semi soft cow variety cheese is firm possessing an amazing aroma from the smoking process. The flavor of the cheese, smoky with a delicate butter and slightly piquant note.

Red Wines: Young dry or semi sweet reds pair harmoniously here.

I prepare my grilled cheese sandwiches sometimes with San Simón. Dried fruits and for salads, diced in cubes: Chef´s or Cobb. I also have added a few cubes to a Fondue for a change of pace every so often, and it was absolutely lovely. Pears and Granny Smiths collaborate nicely here too.

Omelettes filled with San Simón are stunning for a Sunday Brunch.

Enjoy. MC.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom