HELP! I Think I'm Screwed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I was kneading some bagel dough in my KA Professional 5 (350 watts) when I heard a click/snap and the dough hook stopped while the motor continued to run.

Sounds like a transmission issue?

I am not a repairman for these but I would suspect a drive gear. Doesn't the Pro5 use a nylon gear as opposed to the metal gearing of the Pro600?

I suspect you have had it for a while and it is out of warranty, but you should be able to contact KA and get some guidance.

Good luck with it. Lucille has been hard at work for me this morning.

I am not a repairman for these but I would suspect a drive gear. Doesn't the Pro5 use a nylon gear as opposed to the metal gearing of the Pro600?

I suspect you have had it for a while and it is out of warranty, but you should be able to contact KA and get some guidance.

Good luck with it. Lucille has been hard at work for me this morning.

I have had it for about 10 years. No clue if it has nylon or metal gears. this is the mixer that took a header into my toilet and destroyed it.

Well.. they are tough buggers, but not invincible.

I wonder how KA would react if you mention that fact. :LOL:

Looking up repair parts for the Pro5 it looks like the main drive gear is nylon (looks like it in the picture).

If you feel handy you might try opening it up and seeing what doesn't look like it is right inside. I found this site offering repair parts. I don't vouch for em, just did a quick google search.

Looking up repair parts for the Pro5 it looks like the main drive gear is nylon (looks like it in the picture).

If you feel handy you might try opening it up and seeing what doesn't look like it is right inside. I found this site offering repair parts. I don't vouch for em, just did a quick google search.

Thanks Frank. I don't feel up to doing a repair myself. I think I'll call the 800 number on the machine.

That's for sure. Unless you feel really charitable...

The nearest auth. service is an hour away.

If my mixer has nylon gears can I have them changed to metal?

are you sure you gave the right 'venting' link? I don't see anything by AndyM there, nor any mention of mixers in toilets.....curious though!

this is the mixer that took a header into my toilet and destroyed it.

OKAY...I'll bite ... since I havent heard this story before ...

WHY was a STAND MIXER in close proximity to your TOILET?

Edited to say that I read your rant! Thats a doozy!

Last edited:
I have been having a run of product bad luck since the end of November.

First the mixer/toilet issue followed by a dishwasher replacement, a defective battery in the new car, a leak that needed a plumber and now the mixer's dead. I've had enough.

That's for sure. Unless you feel really charitable...

The nearest auth. service is an hour away.

If my mixer has nylon gears can I have them changed to metal?

The Original Professional 5 [KP 50 or KSM50 ?] does have a nylon worm gear and there is not an optional metal version available as a repair part.

When a Classic mixer breaks, it is almost a certainty that the worm gear is the cause. You should be able to verify it by putting a paddle or dough hook on the mixer and turning it half a turn. The motor should then be able to turn the paddle until it reaches the broken or bent teeth on the worm gear.

A proper repair will usually take a couple of hours of bench time and cost $80-$100 depending on your local labor rate.

The Original Professional 5 [KP 50 or KSM50 ?] does have a nylon worm gear and there is not an optional metal version available as a repair part.

When a Classic mixer breaks, it is almost a certainty that the worm gear is the cause. You should be able to verify it by putting a paddle or dough hook on the mixer and turning it half a turn. The motor should then be able to turn the paddle until it reaches the broken or bent teeth on the worm gear.

A proper repair will usually take a couple of hours of bench time and cost $80-$100 depending on your local labor rate.

Thanks for the info, Jim.

I just told my hubby this sad tale of woe...or tried to through laughter and tears! You must get it fixed Andy, we NEED that KA. It is a part of DC lore we just can't do without.

I say we take up a collection for the Pro 5 Killer KA. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom