ISO recipes for pet treats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FluffyAngel

Senior Cook
Hope this is not offensive to anyone. I don't know where to put this if anywhere, but I've been dying to bake for our tiny Chihuahua some homemade dog treats that she might actually eat. I've tried a few recipes in the past and I can't blame her. They smelled bland. Recipes anyone?

Try cheese perhaps as a topping. Doc the Snooty Bouvier just buries Milk Bones and will let good dog food sit all day, waiting for a bit of grated cheese to be mixed into it. At that point, he eats it all immediately. (He prefers good cheeses. Grana Padano, Fiore Sardi, etc.

Hope this is not offensive to anyone. I don't know where to put this if anywhere, but I've been dying to bake for our tiny Chihuahua some homemade dog treats that she might actually eat. I've tried a few recipes in the past and I can't blame her. They smelled bland. Recipes anyone?

I don't think anyone here will be offended by your question. Were all pet lovers. It doesn't matter what kind you have. They are our kids, basically have the attitude if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for us.

My dogs love anything that's home baked, basted with bacon grease. Pumpkin treats put's them over the moon. They lay under the oven door waiting until those cookies are done. My GR, actually lays in a comatose puddle of drool. He has no shame.:angel: :LOL:

Here's a few links that helped me. I used some of the basics, then adapted them to suit my own dogs individual needs. At the time I took over my Shepard's geriatric diet. She was with us longer than the vet expected.

Rover's Recipes

Make Homemade Dog Treat Recipes for Your Dog

Best of luck.

Munky.

The Gent is a Vet

Let me ask the Vet when he gets home, if he has clientel with recipes for treats for pooches and / or kit kats ... Maybe Princess Fiona -- she is a Cat Enthusiast ... ( he works in the next province 45 km - works with livestock predominately here in Spain --- a Government professional need )

I also see some other members with Canine Logos --- so quite possible.

Margi.

I would love some recipes for treats for cats. I doubt that Shreddy would eat them, but there will be other cats.

I save turkey and chicken carcasses in zip-loc bags in the freezer. When I have enough, I break them up a bit and put them in the pressure cooker until the bones soften, then put them thriugh the meat grinder on my mixer then mix them back into their broth. Then I add some fresh flax meal. Usually I just pour that into a tub, snap the lid on and refrigerate. Sadie, my Queensland heeler, loves the stuff. It sets up like a paté. It can be spooned onto a baking sheet and baked in a very slow oven, so that it hardens without burning, and becomes dog biscuits. I have also put the paté back through the meat grinder with a sausage tube on it, and extruded it onto my baking sheet, then cut into short pieces and baked. You could probably put it through a cookie press, too.

Last edited:
Beagle loves dehydrated peaches. I had some mediocre ones I tried to salvage by drying. I didn't care for them, she loved 'em.

I buy professionally made dog treats made by our Go Fetch! staff. They might be amenable to giving you their recipe. I know the dogs at work go for the cheesy bones.

The cats like any cheese that's more than $3 a pound. Funny, they are not fish eaters. They like chicken and I can't leave it on my plate with out it disappearing. Ham and corned beef are other favorites of theirs.

When I poach chicken, I do half without salt and spices. Chopped with cooked rice and egg, I make little treats for them by the teaspoonful. Keep refrigerated.

Last edited:
I buy professionally made dog treats made by our Go Fetch! staff. They might be amenable to giving you their recipe. I know the dogs at work go for the cheesy bones.

The cats like any cheese that's more than $3 a pound. Funny, they are not fish eaters. They like chicken and I can't leave it on my plate with out it disappearing. Ham and corned beef are other favorites of theirs.

When I poach chicken, I do half without salt and spices. Chopped with cooked rice and egg, I make little treats for them by the teaspoonful. Keep refrigerated.

I'll have to try giving Shreddy some expensive cheese. He and Sucha (female who died in 2007 at 15 y.o.) have/had no interest in fish, except for tuna and they both preferred the "tuna water".

The first time Sucha ever ate something off a plate on a table was to eat Quick Chocolate Cake TNT - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums. Really surprised me.

We have several. This one we call "Nuggets". When discussing giving the pugs some, it is necessary to use the term "N" word. Otherwise we will have a chorus of demanding voices. They know nugget and cookie.

Baby Beef Dog Treats
This recipe is flavored using beef (or other flavored) baby food.

I N G R E D I E N T S
2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup powdered milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 egg
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
8-10 tablespoons water
2 small jars strained baby food (beef, chicken, lamb, or liver)

I N S T R U C T I O N S
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl and knead for about 3 minutes. Roll out to 1/2 inch thick. Cut with bone-shaped cookie cutter and place biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet.

Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 min.

Makes approximately 2 dozen doggie biscuits.

Another pug favorite.

Liver Dog Treats
1 pound raw liver (any kind) blended into a paste
1 egg
1cup flour
1/2 cup corn meal (or flour)
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Mix well and bake at 350 for 1/2 hour for chewy treats, longer for crisper treats.

Both these recipes must be refrigerated. We freeze them and take out as needed. I would say a week max in the fridge.

I have over 50 original "dog treat" recipes. When I get home next week, I'll post a couple of them. TL--I have two that use fish--one uses tuna, the other sardines. The tuna ones were really popular with the fussy Saints that wouldn't eat any other treats, as were the ones made with sardines. Cats would probably like them as well.

I have over 50 original "dog treat" recipes. When I get home next week, I'll post a couple of them. TL--I have two that use fish--one uses tuna, the other sardines. The tuna ones were really popular with the fussy Saints that wouldn't eat any other treats, as were the ones made with sardines. Cats would probably like them as well.

I would give the one with tuna a try, but Shreddy really has no interest in other fish. :wacko:

I'll have to try giving Shreddy some expensive cheese. He and Sucha (female who died in 2007 at 15 y.o.) have/had no interest in fish, except for tuna and they both preferred the "tuna water".

The first time Sucha ever ate something off a plate on a table was to eat Quick Chocolate Cake TNT - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums. Really surprised me.

You should see Latté go ape for Stilton...she eats more than I do.:ermm::LOL:

I just found my hoard of dog treat recipes:

Bacon Biscotti!
Ingredients:

6 slices bacon, chopped
canola or olive oil (optional)
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) flour
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) whole wheat flour
1 cup (250 mL) oats
1 tsp. (5 mL) baking powder
1/2 cup (125 mL) water
2 large eggs
1/4 cup (60 mL) bacon drippings or canola oil
2 Tbsp. (30 mL) honey

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. In a skillet set over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crisp; remove with a slotted spoon and set aside, reserving the drippings. Pour the drippings into a measuring cup; if you need to, add canola or olive oil until you have 1/4 cup. (If you like, discard the bacon drippings entirely and just use oil.)

3. In a large bowl, combine the flours, oats and baking powder. In a small bowl, stir together the water, eggs, bacon drippings and/or oil, and honey; add to the dry ingredients along with the cooked and crumbled bacon and stir until blended.

4. Shape the dough into a log that is about 12” long, place on an ungreased baking sheet and flatten until it’s about 6” wide. If you like, brush the top with a little beaten egg to give it a shiny finish. Bake for about 30 minutes, until firm.

5. Reduce the oven temperature to 250° F. Cool the log and cut it on a slight diagonal into 1/2” -1” thick slices using a sharp, serrated knife. Place the biscotti upright on the baking sheet, keeping them spaced about 1/2” apart, and put them back into the oven for another half an hour. If you want them hard, turn the oven off but leave them inside to harden as the oven cools.

6. Makes about 1 1/2 dozen biscotti. Store in a tightly covered container in the fridge, or freeze.

Cheese & Bacon Cookies!
Ingredients:

3/4 cup Flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2/3 cup Butter
2/3 cup Brown Sugar
1 Egg
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups oatmeal
1 cup Cheddar Cheese — shredded
1/2 cup Wheat Germ
1/2 pound Bacon, Turkey Bacon or bacon bits

Directions:

1. Combine flour, soda and salt; mix well and set aside.
2. Cream butter and sugar, beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mix mixing well.
3. Stir in oats, cheese, wheat germ and bacon.
4. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 16 minutes.
6. Cool and enjoy.

Chicken & Oat Cookies!

See the full recipe and directions, along with how to submit your own recipe by clicking this link!

Chicken & Oat Cookies!
Ingredients:

2 cups whole wheat flour
2/3 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup rolled old fashioned oats
2 tablespoons canola oil
3/4 cup chicken stock
2 eggs PLUS 1 egg, beaten

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients except for the beaten egg. The dough should easily form a ball and be rather firm.

3. On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into shapes. Re-roll scraps (just once, any more and the biscuits will be tough) and cut out the remaining biscuits.

4. Brush the tops of each biscuit with the beaten egg.

5. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Remove to a wire rack and cool completely.

6. Store in airtight container. Yields about 3 dozen biscuits.

Cinn-Amazing Buns!
Ingredients:

2 cups (500 mL) whole wheat flour
1 tsp. (5 mL) baking powder
1/4 tsp. (2 mL) salt
1/2 cup (125 mL) water or milk
1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil
1 large egg
2 Tbsp. (30 mL) honey
1 tsp. (5 mL) cinnamon
1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Cream cheese drizzle (optional):
1/4 cup (60 mL) light cream cheese
1-2 Tbsp. (15-30 mL) milk or water

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl stir together water, oil and egg. Add to the dry ingredients and stir just until you have a soft dough.

3. On a lightly floured surface, roll or pat the dough into a rectangle that measures roughly 8×14-inch. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle with cinnamon and nuts, if using. Starting from a long edge, roll up jelly-role style and pinch the edge to seal. Using a sharp serrated knife or (even better) dental floss, slice half an inch thick and place slices cut side down on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.

4. Bake for about 15 minutes, until springy to the touch. Wait until they have cooled completely before you spread them with cream cheese.

5. Makes about two dozen biscuits. Store extra in a tightly covered container of freeze. If they are frosted, store the container in the fridge.

Crunchy Granola Bars!
Ingredients

½ cup coconut oil or butter
¾ cup hot chicken or beef broth
½ cup milk (buttermilk or kefir can also be used)
1 egg, beaten
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoon (heaping) parsley
3-4 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups quick oats

Directions:

1. In a large mixing bowl, place butter or coconut oil and pour the hot broth over to melt it. Stir in milk, egg, salt, & parsley. Once combined, add in oats and begin combining whole wheat flour in, ½ cup at a time. I use my stand mixer for this, as the final dough is VERY stiff. The dough should be hand-mouldable, and not stick to your fingers when it’s ready to roll out.

2. Continue adding flour until dough is stiff and the mixer is kneading it for you (or, if kneading my hand, you can’t add in any more flour). You might find yourself going over the 4-cup mark. Don’t worry – it’s a forgiving recipe.

3. Once the dough is formed, spread it out via rolling pin on your counter and use cookie cutters to form shapes (optional), or spread it in a bar pan (jelly roll pan) and roll it in that from edge to edge. This recipe easily fills one 12—15-inch bar pan without problem. The dough should be rolled edge-to-edge in a 12×15-inch jelly roll (bar) pan

4. Once the dough is situated in the pan, use a pizza cutter and cut the dough in squares that are size-appropriate for your dog.

5. Bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes, then turn off the oven and leave them in for another 2 to 3 hours and allow them to harden.

6. Cool completely and break apart with your fingers – the pre-cutting allows you to snap these babies apart easily, even though they are hard and ready for your pooch.

Back
Top Bottom