Crock-Pot Cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumu

Senior Cook
is it really necessary to start on high for the first hour ,then to low for the rest of time?

I cook everything on low, though I do sear my chicken and pork before putting them in the crock and I make sure there is enough liquid covering them - it gets hot even at low and keeps it safe.

I use my crock pots (yes, more than one) at least once a week and have never made anyone sick! :rolleyes:

Do you have an older or new crockpot? The new CPs get hot very quickly. I follow the manufacturer's suggestions for my model. Do you have the recipe you could share?

crock pot

was told or should say some one said they always start on high for 1 hour to get meat in the safe zone 140, then on low for remainder of time. They do this for all or any recipes.. And its a new Hamilton one.

Last edited:
was told or should say some one said they always start on high for 1 hour to get meat in the safe zone 140, then on low for remainder of time. They do this for all or any recipes.. And its a new Hamilton one.
I am not doubting you in any way, mumu, but just by definition and product marketing, a slow cooker is something you put on in the morning and your dinner is ready when you get back. It is a slow cooker. I have been using them for years and have never come across a recipe that starts on high and is turned to low after awhile. If anything it will start on low and then you turn to high for any finishing touches such as thickener or fresh veggies/herbs, etc.

crock pot cooking

I been to about .com on crockpot cooking....and it also says about 1 hour on high. And I agree with what you said LBeier too.

is it really necessary to start on high for the first hour ,then to low for the rest of time?

I expect different recipes have different requirements. Also, newer cookers have higher minimum temperature settings to address food safety concerns. If the instruction manual for your cooker says to do that, do that. Otherwise, follow recipes from reliable sources.

I have, at times, tried to shorten the total time by starting on high, but I doubt it accomplished much. Last weekend, I had a large whole pork loin that I cut into three pieces and browned well on all sides in a pan and then stuck them in the pot with salt and sage. Starting and finishing in LOW. It still just takes a few hours.

But for recommendations on slow cooker issues, remember that old references and old cooks may refer to old slow cookers. Specifications have been changed at some point to bring food more rapidly to the target 140F. And that had created a lot of complaints about overcooking. It also accounts for the bewildering range of cited temperatures. At one time, slow cookers were intended to reach 140F on Low and a bit over 212F on High. Now, it's more like 200F and 300F. Properly designed, one hour of High should be about two hours on Low. So the lawyerly caution dictates the Low setting be so high, and that determines the High temperature. I would also assume that the instructions in a 1970's slow cooker cookbook should be followed with caution and checking the food at a little more than half of the recommended time. With undated recipes, the problem is not knowing the source.

Also remember that the basic models are not thermostatically controlled devices. They are simply two different arrays of elements of given wattages. The designers assume a considerable heat sink in the form of the food. And the unloaded cooker must still be able to run empty indefinitely without being dangerous. It's a safe bet that the Low setting on new slow cookers will get a normal load of food up to 140 during a theoretical safe time.

Don't take a blindly simplistic view of safe temperatures. With solid cuts of meat, the internal temperature is not much of an issue. (Rare steak, for instance.) And salmonella and trichinosis are killed at 131F and 135F, respectively, when held for any reasonable cooking time. 140F is not a magic temperature - it's just a fudge factor applied to a guess adjusted for people who might have inaccurate thermometers. Ground meat I didn't grind myself I wouldn't consider safe unless incinerated.

My first crockpot many years ago had the function to start at high and turn to low later on, automatically. I was disappointed that my new one doesn't have that. It has to be done manually. Fine for me since I'm retired, but wouldn't be good for someone who wants to have their meal ready when they come home from work.

crockpot cooking

if I were to start on high the first hour would I then subtract that hour off the low time? Or 2 hours off low since 1 hour on high is equal to 2 hours on low?

My first crockpot many years ago had the function to start at high and turn to low later on, automatically. I was disappointed that my new one doesn't have that. It has to be done manually. Fine for me since I'm retired, but wouldn't be good for someone who wants to have their meal ready when they come home from work.

Agreed. And this is a common complaint about the newer programmable s/cs. Wish they had a setting for that. I just always started out on high, then going to medium or low. Still like doing it. And like you, I'm retired.

crockpot cooking

the ones who do start of on high then go to low,do you adjust your time on low? SherryDAmore,and Zhizara?

if I were to start on high the first hour would I then subtract that hour off the low time? Or 2 hours off low since 1 hour on high is equal to 2 hours on low?

The time-temperature thing is not constant for all times. It's quite a complex relationship that depends on a lot more factors than wattage and time. And it's only very roughly 2:1 and can well be 1.5:1. As I said, the size and thickness and material of the pot and food load change things.

I would say that if the cooking time is critical, check it a bit earlier than you would for being set to Low the whole time. But then, if time and temperature are that critical, a crock pot is probably not the right tool. Most crock pot recipes that really need a crock pot will have such long cooking times that the difference will not be very much.

But I really think the 1-hour on high thing is a relic that's been superseded by the new higher Low temperature designs. For true critical cooking times, a cooker like the cooker/fryers that are thermostatically controlled would work better.

Last edited:
I just bought America's Test Kitchen Slow Cooker Revolution today at Sam's Club Amazon.com: Slow Cooker Revolution (9781933615691): The Editors at America's Test Kitchen, America's Test Kitchen: Books and am eager to try some of the recipes. A brief look through the chicken section said to always cook your chicken on low, some of the chicken was browned first, some was not. They also gave a way to test your slow cooker temperature to ensure yours is cooking at the same temperature as their test ones.

Again, I haven't had time to read the book (more like a large magazine) 144 pages..... :)

Merlot said:
I just bought America's Test Kitchen Slow Cooker Revolution today at Sam's Club Amazon.com: Slow Cooker Revolution (9781933615691): The Editors at America's Test Kitchen, America's Test Kitchen: Books and am eager to try some of the recipes. A brief look through the chicken section said to always cook your chicken on low, some of the chicken was browned first, some was not. They also gave a way to test your slow cooker temperature to ensure yours is cooking at the same temperature as their test ones.

Again, I haven't had time to read the book (more like a large magazine) 144 pages..... :)

I have this on my Kindle. Nice!

Good explanation GLC!

And Merlot, regarding testing crock pots, when I get around to it I'll fill my crock pot about half way with water and put my remote meat thermometer probe inside and see what temperature it stabilizes at, then repeat on high--just for future reference. Let us know if the ATK book has a better method.

the ones who do start of on high then go to low,do you adjust your time on low? SherryDAmore,and Zhizara?

I deduct a half hour. Just the way I do things. BTW: I've been cooking ATK/CI's recipes for years. Highly recommend them. They are not open and dump; you have to do some prep work, but dadgummed, they're good!! And yes, I hav SCR.

Mine was automatic. I filled and turned it on, dinner was done when I got home from work.

crockpot cooking

so if we are using a new crockpot and come across directions that say to cook at high for one hour ...should ignore bec. Of the newer tech.? Would that be the way to go or should I still do it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom