ISO What to make with a chicken wing and a sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Here is one for you. I have accumulated a couple of things in my fridge over the last few days that didn't get cooked up for some reason. One raw chicken wing and one hot Italian fennel sausage. Without reading everybody else's posts, tell me what you would do with it. Looking forward to the responses.....

Last edited:
So am I. A chicken wing and a sausage doesn't exactly meet my stomachs hunger needs.

On a positive note, I finally found where to buy chicken drummettes for frying. No wings, just mini chicken legs. Albertson's grocery store chain here in the USA stocks their own brand. Foster Farms stop selling just drummettes. I've nothing against wings, I just like deep frying up a bunch of mini chicken drum sticks. :yum:

Last edited:
Stew the chicken wing in water with onions, garlic, celery, just until cooked. Remove from the broth, peel the skin off, remove the meat and coarsely chop. Fry the sausage and drain. Add a can of rinsed beans to the broth, heat through, add the chicken, just before serving add in the fried sausage. Grate some Parmesan over the top and have some good bread to go with.

I'd throw away the chicken wing, cook the sausage, and then I'd nibble on the sausage and sip wine while I'm cooking dinner.

Or... I was thinking along the lines of Thai style stuffed chicken wings but couldn't really find any good recipe (Google: Thai stuffed chicken wings recipe) but anybody interested can click the link to see the search. First of all, nobody would cook just one chicken wing using this kind of recipe. When I've ordered this in Thai restaurants the wings are enormous! They start out deboning and I imagine they trim the chicken to get a lot more skin than your usual chop the wing off, and then they must stretch the skin or something. I've seen these stuffed wings big enough that two could make a full dinner serving. I'm tempted to try cooking them some day but it looks like way too much work!

You would of course debone the wing, chop up the meat and mix it with the sausage, then throw other stuff in (see the recipes) and then fry the whole thing.

Last edited:
I would make an Italian fennel sausage rice pilaaf with chicken. Cook your chicken any way you want and then shred the meat from the bone and stir into your tasty rice pilaaf:) The heat and flavour from the sausage would really flavour the rice and with the addition of the chicken you have a hearty dish:) Not sure if it would work but that was the first thing that came to mind and sounded good as I was writing:))))

A bartender once told me ya can't fly on one wing!

I am on track with PF, toss a handful of macaroni in her pot and call it Pasta Fagioli!

Sausage & Chicken Wing !

Well, a Chicken Ragu to serve over egg tagliatelli ... for one ...

@ Bolas: the chicken wing, for voo doo and the sausage, fry some bell pepper and onions, oven warm some bread; with a glass of red wine and crusty bread ... and a sprinkle of pecorino or parmesano ... a " hero " in English.

M.C.

I'm with PrincessFiona. That's pretty much what I would do with it. I rarely throw food out. Never say never. But I'd probably add a can of tomatoes to the soup. Maybe a bit of wine. Like that tang.

Oh yes, tomatoes...Thanks Claire! Kinda like mentioning onions and garlic for me, it's a given to add tomatoes to soup!

without reading previous posts (as instructed :glare:)

since there's a lot of flavour but very little meat, i'd make either a rice or soup dish to fill out the volume.

brown the sausage and chicken wing in evoo, add onions and sweat, toss in orzo to toast, add rice and chicken just enough chicken stock and cover until the rice cooks through.

or if you have more veggies, brown the meats and aromatics, sweat veggies, add a lot of stock, chopped greens (like kale) and cubed potatoes to make soup.

without reading previous posts (as instructed :glare:)

since there's a lot of flavour but very little meat, i'd make either a rice or soup dish to fill out the volume.

brown the sausage and chicken wing in evoo, add onions and sweat, toss in orzo to toast, add rice and chicken just enough chicken stock and cover until the rice cooks through.

or if you have more veggies, brown the meats and aromatics, sweat veggies, add a lot of stock, chopped greens (like kale) and cubed potatoes to make soup.
I had a similar problem recently with a piece of bone with meat left over from trimming a pork shoulder. I did the thorough browning and onion part of the above + some coriander seeds. After the onions were quite limp, I added 1 1/2 cups of water and simmered until most of the water was gone, separated the meat from the bone, added 1/2 of 28 oz of diced plum tomatoes, oregano, hot red pepper flakes, and some fennel seeds, simmered for an hour, and then used the result with some grated locatelli as a topping for 8 oz of pasta.

Without reading anyone else's post, I'd go for browning the sausage until done through. I would also fry the chicken wing after seasoning it with oregano, black pepper, and salt. Iwould then make a small pot of beans (probably navy, black, or pinto beans), and season with curry, black pepper, garlic, and fresh onion. Slice the sausage into chunks and mix it in. Bone the chicken wing, chip, and mix it in. Let it all cook for about thirty minutes or so. Eat with buttered baguette and a glass of milk.

On another day, I'd probably go with cooked spaghetti or linguine noodles, dressed with EV00, garlic, a little white truffle oil, add saute'd mushrooms, basil, the cooked and sliced sausage, and the fried chicken wing. I might add a raw egg, and let the hot noodles cook it while I stir

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom