Secret ingredient for Alfredo sauce!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABmtroyal9

Assistant Cook
If you are a pasta lover and love Alfredo sauce...
When making an Alfredo sauce try adding cinnamon!
just a pinch and or enough to taste!
It may seem strange but it is absolutely delicious!
:chef:

Interesting comment... What would you think about nutmeg? I've noticed a dash of nutmeg is often added to creamy or cheesy sauces, like Béchamel or Velouté.

A hit of cayenne pepper is nice in a cream or cheese sauce.

I will give the cinnamon a try. I have used it in some Greek tomato based sauces with good results and also in chocolate brownies as a back flavor.

What is the "official" Alfredo recipe? The one you can't add a pinch of nutmeg or cayenne. I've always finished off sauces with trace amounts of this or that spice, to give the sauces my own tweak. (If you add enough that somebody can tell then you've added too much.)

Last edited:
If you are a pasta lover and love Alfredo sauce...
When making an Alfredo sauce try adding cinnamon!
just a pinch and or enough to taste!
It may seem strange but it is absolutely delicious!
:chef:

Nutmeg is the traditional addition but I hate it and cinnamon would be even worse, sorry.

What is the "official" Alfredo recipe? The one you can't add a pinch of nutmeg or cayenne. I've always finished off sauces with trace amounts of this or that spice, to give the sauces my own tweak. (If you add enough that somebody can tell then you've added too much.)

What's the point of adding something that you can't taste?

AS for "official" recipes, there are a couple, but the best al minute is simply adding cream, and egg yolk, stir constantly, once it starts to thicken, toss in the pasta, some green peas, maybe some ham, cheese and finish with butter. . .not too unlike a carbonara. Also, just a simple cream redux, with some parm, black pepper, and finish with butter. Just don't let it break.

What's the point of adding something that you can't taste?

I didn't say I was adding something that "you" can't taste. I was discussing adding something that doesn't shout what it is, something that changes the taste in a subtle way that people don't know what you added.

If you've added enough that somebody says, "Ah, you added nutmeg," then you added too much nutmeg.

I made fettuccine alfredo for dinner last night. Butter, heavy cream, parm, salt pepper. So simple and so delicious.

Back
Top Bottom