Crispy cake help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrisbeth

Assistant Cook
Hi, I am new to this forum. I live baking cakes. But I have one problem. Though my cake is fluffy inside it's crust is crispy. I am not sure what needs to be done to correct this. I bake them at 180c. Any advice?

It's hard to tell a lot with the recipe. That's usually from temperature too high. But that's about the right temperature for a 30 to 40 minute time. If your time is much shorter than that, check the actual oven temperature with a thermometer. Be sure to check it at the same level as where the cake pan sits. And not all cake pans are equal. Very dark finish metals often overcook the sides and bottom, as do very thin aluminum.

If nothing apparent turns up, there are steps you can take. For bottoms being overdone, the pan can be set on a baking sheet. For overdone sides, there are cake strips.
Amazon.com: Wilton Small Bake Even Cake Strips: Kitchen & Dining

But if you're already setting the cake pan on a baking sheet, recheck the temperature at the pans location with the Baking sheet in place. Large sheets can upset the heat flow and cause the thermocouple to drive the heat higher than the setting temperature.

And if you're using a recipe intended for two pans and putting it all in one larger pan, or intended for one pan and putting it in two smaller, the time and temperature instructions will be incorrect.

Back
Top Bottom