smoked fishcakes anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soma

Senior Cook
I bought two frozen smoked mackerels. They've been thawing for 2 days in fridge and need to be eaten tonight.

I don't know how to serve these, except on crackers...so I googled, and a British food site suggested making fish cakes, or cutlets, adding in some horseradish and parsley.

I love fish cutlets, and usually make mine with salmon or tuna, chopped onion, an egg, a TBSP mayonnaise, dill and dried breadcrumbs.

So - anyone else like fishcakes? and how do you make yours, and with what fish?

How was it, Soma? Sounds tasty with the strong flavor of smoked mackerel. I don't think I've ever made one with it. I like crab and fish cakes, too. A couple of my change-ups are:

Steamed kamaboko fishcake, logs formed from a paste of raw fish, egg, a little cornstarch and seasonings. Finish with a quick browning in pan.

Croquette patties, with cooked fish, egg, mashed potato and other ingredients, coated with bread crumbs. Fried.

The one rule I always adhere to with fishcakes is to let them set up in the frig for an hour or so before cooking. I'm also particularly mindful about texture of the finished cake.

Back
Top Bottom