I'm a wuss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gravy Queen

Head Chef
...............when preparing fresh fish.

I like fish, but I am a total wuss when preparing it, in fact, I can't cope with a whole fish with eyes looking at me.

I like squid, but I bought some and couldnt prepare it, it was too squiddy. I gave it to my husband for fish bait.

What is wrong with me and how can I get over this? Answers on a postcard please. ;)

Fish Peeves & Manias

@ Gravy Queen,

Interesting Post ...

I am a travel, food and wine journalist and phiologist and I had never studied peeves and manias ...

However, I would have your Fish Monger (speak with him or her ), to remove the parts that you have a mania about and Fillet the fish ... problem solved.

For me, there are no foods on earth as divine as fish, shellfish and seafood.

Have a nice Sunday.
Margi.

Last edited:
no real advice but I feel the same way. I felt that way with raw chicken (like cutting up the wings at joints) like 4 years ago. I just would kind of force myself to do it and now I am OK with it. Just desensitize yourself - eventually it will happen.

Yes I would normally either buy fillets or get the fishmonger to do it. But my husband likes to fish and brought me mackerel, gurnard and bull huss once. I ran a mile. Happily he did all the filleting etc.

Siegal, jolly good, its not just me then! Thats what I need to do, I should I know.

Well at least you didn't mention not wanting to touch ground meat or stick your hand into the cavity of a chicken to remove the neck and gibblets! That was my daughter for the longest time.:ohmy:

The best way to eat fish on the frame is to bake it with whole herbs placed inside with seasoning. To make a good fish stock, you can ask your fish monger for fish frames. They usually come with the head on. Even if you shop at a supermarket they have frames in the back and just toss them in a barrel to be resold to a company that grinds them up and then sell the mess to cat food companies for filler. Your fishmonger will gladly remove the head for you. But keep in mind that you will be charged for the extra labor including the cost of the weight of the head. But you don't get to take the head home for additional uses. The fishmonger resells the head for filler. So he is making profit twice at your expense. It is best to take the whole fish as is, and remove the head at home. :chef:

Explain to your husband the problem, that for you, a properly cleaned fish has the head removed. I'll cook fish all day, but I will not clean them or cook them with the heads on. You are not alone.

I always clean the fish. I used to love opening a cooler full of fish and lobster, cleaning it at the dock and seeing the faces of the folks from the drift fishing boat that docked next to us, coming back from a trip empty handed.:rolleyes: I'd always get the "Where did you catch those?". My stock answer being "In the ocean." Or "What bait did you use?" While my dive buddy was rinsing off our gear and guns.

As a cook, I run across all sorts of heads...can make anyone squeamish. I take the Native American concept of revering the animal and its beautiful life that it gave to feed me and my family, friends, customers, etc. It gives me a sense of peace and caring as I'm preparing the animal.

Souzy sous said:
As a cook, I run across all sorts of heads...can make anyone squeamish. I take the Native American concept of revering the animal and its beautiful life that it gave to feed me and my family, friends, customers, etc. It gives me a sense of peace and caring as I'm preparing the animal.

I really like this.

I do that too, when I remember.

Back
Top Bottom