The last time you entertained

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
I just had a dozen or two of our friends over for my husband's 65th birthday. We're big on potluck for any party, and I made a huge batch of New Mexican green chili. It was great fun. What have you done lately?

Last time I entertained...

Well, let's see. Last Saturday night, I used the bedroom lamp to make shadow figures on the wall to kinda cheer the wife up.

Oh. You mean like people coming over to eat and stuff. Or to just to eat and not stuff.

Had a couple of people over to eat, one of them the kid's old piano teacher who was widowed last year. Made a nice chicken and shrimp paella. Also made a killer dessert, but can no longer remember what it was. I remember it was good, though.

We had my wife's brother's family over for Sun. Dinner last weekend.
It was like a summer day here.

Tangerine margaritas
Olives and nuts

Charcoal grilled bbq chicken
grilled red bell peppers and asparagus
some other veggie i can't remember
Pilaf
A great bottle of red my BIL brought.

Thai peanut glazed salmon and cold sesame noodles with sauteed garlic spinach. Must have been good, no left overs. dinner club for 8. (4 couples, one hosts and does entree, and each other group does appetizer, salad, dessert.) It's always a great time.

Had the parents over for an Indian night (the last time they had Indian, we were in London. 15 years ago). I made:
tomato curry soup
spiced chickpeas
garlic naan
chicken tikka masala
Pistachio kulfi with a saffron sauce

Nothing recent, but we have a lot of entertaining coming up in the next month or so.

Weekend after next, my wife has invited several co-workers over to the house for dinner. Three are visiting from India. This is their first time to the US and, between their own dietary restrictions and unfamiliarity with American food, it sounds like they have been mostly eating at Indian buffets since they arrived. I'm thinking BBQ chicken on the grill might be a worthy introduction to American food.

In April, we are doing Easter dinner. We're expecting about 16 family members for that.

DW and I are also hosting our dinner club sometime in April. We are one of four couples who meet every other month to have a multi-course dinner at one of our homes.

Unfortunately a long long time ago. People are not big on entertaining in the home, well, you have the family get togethers but it's nearly always at the parents/mother/fathers house and plus the majority of people live in flats so space is a big issue and many people go out for dinner with friends.

Nothing recent, but we have a lot of entertaining coming up in the next month or so.

Weekend after next, my wife has invited several co-workers over to the house for dinner. Three are visiting from India. This is their first time to the US and, between their own dietary restrictions and unfamiliarity with American food, it sounds like they have been mostly eating at Indian buffets since they arrived. I'm thinking BBQ chicken on the grill might be a worthy introduction to American food.

In April, we are doing Easter dinner. We're expecting about 16 family members for that.

DW and I are also hosting our dinner club sometime in April. We are one of four couples who meet every other month to have a multi-course dinner at one of our homes.

That sounds like a good choice Steve. Who wouldn't like grilled chicken?
I certainly wouldn't cave to the temptation to serve something Indian for the sides either. Have you thought about the "American" sides?

We tend to go out. Holiday dinners at my place are the big draw for kids at work who have no place to go for the holidays. Generally I will just cook up something big and haul it to work to share.

I made pizza Tuesday and Kathleen got to watch me toss the dough, she seemed entertained by it. :)

That sounds like a good choice Steve. Who wouldn't like grilled chicken?
I certainly wouldn't cave to the temptation to serve something Indian for the sides either. Have you thought about the "American" sides?
Yes, I'll probably do something like baked beans and oven roasted potatoes. And maybe a side of cornbread, too. We had a Spanish exchange student stay with us a couple of years ago who ended up addicted to cornbread with honey.

We tend to go out. Holiday dinners at my place are the big draw for kids at work who have no place to go for the holidays. Generally I will just cook up something big and haul it to work to share.
We did this when we were in the military. That is to say, had dinners for young people who really had no place to go for the holidays. It wasn't Thanksgiving or Christmas without a young GI at the table.

took a dinner to my grandson's house for his bday. does that count? he is allergic to my cats.

Hey, it all counts to me. Whenever I have people over for a meal, I put some aside for a shut-in friend of mine. She's arthritically crippled into a C-shape, cannot move. Has no teeth. But I always put aside some food for her, it is one of her last pleasures (and believe it or not, she isn't overweight, I would be in her position).

We did this when we were in the military. That is to say, had dinners for young people who really had no place to go for the holidays. It wasn't Thanksgiving or Christmas without a young GI at the table.

Did the same when I was in college, then it was students who were stuck in the dorms over the holiday. Lots of fun to have 20-30 kids around. I just know that if I had kids, I would want to know some nice person was taking care of them when circumstances needed it.

Had the parents over for an Indian night (the last time they had Indian, we were in London. 15 years ago). I made:
tomato curry soup
spiced chickpeas
garlic naan
chicken tikka masala

Gee, invite me to your next party. Indian is one cuisine I cannot get in this area unless I do it myself. I man literally, I'd have to make naan from scratch. I'm jealous.

If you take a dish, at least you know there is something you will eat.:rolleyes: J/K. I like taking food to a party/get together.

tomato curry soup
spiced chickpeas
garlic naan
chicken tikka masala

I would also like an invite to this party if you're serving a feast like this:yum:

Tomato curry soup sounds very interesting to me, do you have a recipe that you use?

We do something similar at work. We put out the word and invite people that may not be able to be with their families.

I live in a city where there are a lot of transplants, people move here for work opportunities. A majority of our friends are not native to the area and their families are elsewhere.

Gee, invite me to your next party. Indian is one cuisine I cannot get in this area unless I do it myself. I man literally, I'd have to make naan from scratch. I'm jealous.

I would also like an invite to this party if you're serving a feast like this:yum:

Tomato curry soup sounds very interesting to me, do you have a recipe that you use?

You're both invited, should you ever make it to Massachusetts.

jonnyjonny, I have two versions. One for when I have energy, and one for when I'm being a lazyass. Which version would you like?

Back
Top Bottom