Cheese Whiz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gravy Queen

Head Chef
I wonder what the english equivalent of this is, I'm thinking of a cheese in a jar we used to be able to get years ago but not any more.

I learned about cheese whiz from a lovely chap from New Jersey who we met on holiday in Cuba. There was an american style diner in the hotel and he recommended a Philadelphia steak sandwich I think it was. It was delish but I was expecting Phildadelphia cream cheese on it (totes different). So my new friend explained what it was on it.

Is this used on a regular basis, if so on what types of meals?

Just curious. :rolleyes:

There's always been a good bit of discussion on the Internet about the lack of a British version. (Strange, as there is a specifically Canadian version.) The consensus is that there is none. Nor does it appear to be commonly available. But I find at least one place, and it's not even terribly expensive. Why it's featured in a Filipino outfit I can't imagine.

KRAFT CHEEZ WHIZ

For me, I'd gladly give you all of my share.

Maybe there's an opportunity here.

I have only eaten it a couple of times in my life. I don't even consider it food. I think it is outrageously priced, also. I have melted it in the microwave and poured it on nachos with chopped jalapenos and a ton of other ingredients. But then you can barely taste it anyway. Anytime I eat something that calls for melted cheddar, I do just that. Melt real cheddar...I'm crazy like that.:cool:

I used to use it to entertain my scuba students on openwater dives. Reef fish seem to like it a great deal. As far as eating it, not a chance. Too many bad childhood food experiences.

Last edited:
Cheez Whiz is not "normal" for many dishes. Philly steak sandwiches, nachos, macaroni and cheese are the only things I think I have ever made with it! I haven't bought any in years. I gravitate to the real cheeses but do use Velveeta for certain things. My family prefers provolone on steak sandwiches anyway so Cheez Whiz just doesn't make it into my cart anymore. I would consider it a "specialty" item meaning it has its place but it is very limited.

GLC - Kraft, that was it. When I was a child growing up in the groovy 70's I remember Kraft Cheddar Spread which came in a jar and it was orangey coloured and a weird texture, I am sure that was our version of cheese whiz.

Its long gone from our shelves now.

I think I the last time I had Cheez Whiz was many moons ago, when I was a kid. Yeah, it's primarily used on cheesesteak sandwiches and nachos.

I like to use provolone, like someone else said. That is my favorite cheese for a hot sandwich. There are times, if I don't have provolone, I'll use American cheese.

Last edited:
Some cheesesteak places use cheese whiz, but the really good ones use provolone. If you absolutely have to have cheese whiz, try melting some Velveeta if that's available in GB or you can melt some American cheese slices. You know, the ones individually wrapped in plastic, stacked and sealed in cellophane? It's all the same processed cheese food in a different form.

We get individual cheese slices, which my boys like on burgers. I'm not familiar with provolone or velveeta. Hmm cheese slices on nachos might work then?

I lived in Philly for quite a few years, and people in Philadelphia do NOT put Cheese Whiz on cheesesteaks. Onions on the griddle first, maybe some bell pepper, then shaved beef, often still frozen, on top of 'em. Turn and top with provolone, let melt. Serve on a 6" Italian torpedo roll, top with marinara. Cheese Whiz...aaaagghhhh!

Some cheesesteak places use cheese whiz, but the really good ones use provolone. If you absolutely have to have cheese whiz, try melting some Velveeta if that's available in GB or you can melt some American cheese slices. You know, the ones individually wrapped in plastic, stacked and sealed in cellophane? It's all the same processed cheese food in a different form.

I often think of those Japanese ginger candies wrapped in rice paper when I think of those Kraft celo-wrapped slices. The contents are as edible as the container.:LOL:

GLC - Kraft, that was it. When I was a child growing up in the groovy 70's I remember Kraft Cheddar Spread which came in a jar and it was orangey coloured and a weird texture, I am sure that was our version of cheese whiz.

Its long gone from our shelves now.

Kraft sells a variety of processed cheese and "cheese spread" products around he world.
cheese2.jpg

cheese.jpg

kraft_cheesespread255g.jpg

images

070221002565.jpg

Some are "processed." Some are "prepared," I assume to accord with local food terminology law.

Cheese Whiz appears to be the senior member of the tribe. In fact, it achieved something of the same kind of generic meaning as "coke" representing any cola soda. In The Blues Brothers, the old guy in the hotel asks Elwood, "Did you get my Cheez Whiz, boy?" Elwood tosses him a can, clearly an aerosol type can, something Cheese Whiz never came in. What Elwood tossed him was Kraft Easy Cheese.

SF-KRAF-001.jpg

You can make a knock-off version by combining equal parts of American process cheese and evaporated milk in a double boiler with a little salt, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Just heat and stir until all is melted.

We get individual cheese slices, which my boys like on burgers. I'm not familiar with provolone or velveeta. Hmm cheese slices on nachos might work then?

You are not familiar with provolone? I assumed that this would be a pretty universally available cheese. It is an Italian slicing cheese, similar in texture to mozzarella but with its own distinct flavor and aged a bit more.

Try using grated cheddar cheese or a mix of cheddar and jack cheese for your nachos.

Calculate the price per pound of those individually wrapped cheese slices, then compare that to buying real cheese.

I had some friends who used to call Cheese Whiz "blowzo."

Velveeta makes good fish bait for trout, in the middle of the day when they're not biting flies and maybe skeptical about your worms. Added bonus: you can eat your bait while you're fishing. Perhaps Velveeta when lake fishing and worms when stream fishing. Don't forget where you are if you're nibbling on your own bait. ;) It adds a whole new meaning to the term "with baited breath." Particularly if you get confused and you're fishing with worms...

Last edited:
This has been very interesting for me, and learning so many new things!

Errrm sorry to be a pain but I don't know what "jack" cheese is either....

Monterey Jack. (Note spelling. It's named for Monterey, California - not Monterrey, Mexico.) In the form encountered in grocery stores, not a very sophisticated cow's milk, semi-hard white cheese, supposedly developed by Franciscan Friars in California. Not aged much, maybe one month. A hard aged dry version can be found that grates well. In the UK, it's "Mexican Cheese."

(In the U.S., "Mexican cheese" may be Jack or may be Queso Acadero or Queso Oaxaca, which is similar to Jack but of a consistency more like mozzarella. Mass marketers have also begun distributing "Mexican Cheese" that's mostly Jack. I think they feel "Mexican" sounds more exotic.)

Monterey is often found marbled with Colby cheese or mixed with bits of hot and mild pepper and called "Pepper Jack." The "Jack" part might come from David Jacks, the major producer in the 19th century. (Like a lot of other foods, there are other stories of it origin and name, but it's not really the kind of cheese worth arguing over.) It is often found on Mexican-American dishes and as an alternative to cheddar on burgers and such.

No doubt, when made as an artisanal cheese, it becomes more flavorful than the plastic-like grocery store brick. And it's undoubtedly rooted in Spain and pretty much a plain, mild cheese that's aged longed in its best form. And with the increasing interest in artisan cheeses, there are now many sources of far more sophisticated Jack cheese that is likely back to the original Spanish quality.

Industrial Grade
12955159.jpg

Getting Better
original-jack_939d65bd4e327ddef06af4d6f86f7e95.jpg

Rumiano's Dry Jack
fd-cheese30_ph_0500476075.jpg

I lived in Philly for quite a few years, and people in Philadelphia do NOT put Cheese Whiz on cheesesteaks. Onions on the griddle first, maybe some bell pepper, then shaved beef, often still frozen, on top of 'em. Turn and top with provolone, let melt. Serve on a 6" Italian torpedo roll, top with marinara. Cheese Whiz...aaaagghhhh!

I can't remember the restaurant names, but I saw on a tv show once (either food network or cooking channel) where they featured two places. The point of the show was to see who had the best philly cheesesteak, and they used cheez whiz.

Back
Top Bottom