Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Menu Planning (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f164/)
-   -   Pull-apart Dinner: Need some more ideas (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f164/pull-apart-dinner-need-some-more-ideas-78460.html)

chefathome 03-12-2012 03:16 PM

Pull-apart Dinner: Need some more ideas

Hello, All!

I'd like to host some friends for a pull-apart dinner, i.e., all the dishes will be of that type.

Here are some ideas that I had in mind:
* Blooming Onion
* Cheesy Mushroom Pull-apart Bread (like this one)
* Pull-apart Challah (something like that)
* Baked Cluster Tomatoes
* Pull-apart Filled Dough (e.g., this one)

For dessert:
* Monkey Bread
* Filled Pull-apart Loaf (say, like here)
* Pull-apart chocolate Chip Cookies (so, baking them in a way they will get together after spreading)

I guess you see what I mean.

So, where's the problem? When my wife looked at that list, she said: "But you don't have any real food!". She meant, of course, that there's no "main dish" in the above list.

I'd appreciate any ideas for pull-apart-style "real food".

Yours,
Arnon

Steve Kroll 03-12-2012 03:18 PM

Well, it's pretty easy (though messy) to pull apart a whole cooked chicken. :chef:

Siegal 03-12-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefathome
Hello, All!

I'd like to host some friends for a pull-apart dinner, i.e., all the dishes will be of that type.

Here are some ideas that I had in mind:
* Blooming Onion
* Cheesy Mushroom Pull-apart Bread (like this one)
* Pull-apart Challah (something like that)
* Baked Cluster Tomatoes
* Pull-apart Filled Dough (e.g., this one)

For dessert:
* Monkey Bread
* Filled Pull-apart Loaf (say, like here)
* Pull-apart chocolate Chip Cookies (so, baking them in a way they will get together after spreading)

I guess you see what I mean.

So, where's the problem? When my wife looked at that list, she said: "But you don't have any real food!". She meant, of course, that there's no "main dish" in the above list.

I'd appreciate any ideas for pull-apart-style "real food".
Yours,
Arnon

Usually when you pull apart bread (or pita in my example) you then have bowls of hummus, eggplant salads, tehini, ful, etc to take handfuls of with the bread. The bread you pulled apart is the spoon

chefathome 03-12-2012 03:45 PM

Steve, that's right, of course. However, I don't have any experience what so ever with a whole cooked chicken, and I don't think that's the right opportunity to try it for the first time... :-)

4meandthem 03-12-2012 04:50 PM

Steak nachos
Curry with naan bread

Nothing could be easier than a whole chicken. Season it with anything and put in a 350 oven for an hour.

DaveSoMD 03-12-2012 06:30 PM

Pulled pork, and then you can bake rolls in a pan and then "pull" them apart and "pull" then open to put the pork on.

Bunches of grapes can be pulled off the bunch. You can pull-apart string cheese.

CraigC 03-12-2012 09:44 PM

You can cook some bulk Mexican chorizo and drain the fat. Mound it on an aluminum covered cookie sheet, cover it with shreded muenster or Mexican melting cheese and place it under the broiler to melt the cheese. You serve using torn pieces of warm flower tortillas so each guest can pull bits of the chorizo and cheese from the mound. You can add stuff like onion and pablano pepper to the chorizo while it cooks in the pan. Use your imagination!:wink:

4meandthem 03-13-2012 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigc (Post 1118911)
you can cook some bulk mexican chorizo and drain the fat. Mound it on an aluminum covered cookie sheet, cover it with shreded muenster or mexican melting cheese and place it under the broiler to melt the cheese. You serve using torn pieces of warm flower tortillas so each guest can pull bits of the chorizo and cheese from the mound. You can add stuff like onion and pablano pepper to the chorizo while it cooks in the pan. Use your imagination!:wink:

i want that!

buckytom 03-13-2012 03:15 AM

peel n eat shrimp; steamed hardshell clams, mussels or ipswich clams; disco gries (aka gravy and cheese fries, like a poutine.

DaveSoMD 03-13-2012 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigC (Post 1118911)
You can cook some bulk Mexican chorizo and drain the fat. Mound it on an aluminum covered cookie sheet, cover it with shreded muenster or Mexican melting cheese and place it under the broiler to melt the cheese. You serve using torn pieces of warm flower tortillas so each guest can pull bits of the chorizo and cheese from the mound. You can add stuff like onion and pablano pepper to the chorizo while it cooks in the pan. Use your imagination!:wink:

YUM!