Corned beef questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
would there be any disadvantages to cooking a corn beef for saint patricks day in a crock pot vs. other cooking methods? Does it matter if you buy a leaner cut or a fattier cut. I think I'm going with the red one and not the grey one.

Thanks so much!

Get the flat cut rather than the point cut. It has less fat waste.

Pink vs. grey is a personal preference.

We prefer to do a homemade corned beef. We don't put any "curing" agent to give that reddish tint. We trim some of the fat from the brisket but leave most as it helps tenderize and keep the meat moist. It can always be trimmed after cooking. Never tried a slow cooker.

I have made it in a crock pot. works very well for me. Remember not to put too much liquid in the pot. Only go no more than half way up the side of the brisket.

Having done it in a crock pot and stove top, I prefer the crock pot. Mine comes out tender, it's "fuss free" and I don't think shrinks as much as stove top cooking. Does require less liquid too.

We simmer the thick cut in quite a bit of water with additional herbs, onions & garlic to get some of the 'poizen' out.
I enjoy hash made from the leftovers as much as the corned beef on rye and reuben sandwiches.

Last edited:
Having done it in a crock pot and stove top, I prefer the crock pot. Mine comes out tender, it's "fuss free" and I don't think shrinks as much as stove top cooking. Does require less liquid too.

Well, let's see, I've cooked corned beef in a pot on top of the stove, in a pressure cooker on top of the stove, in the oven and in the crock-pot. Of all ways, I like the crock-pot method the best.

I plan on cooking my Irish Stout soaked corned beef in the crock-pot. Onions and extra pickling spices go in, two hours before it's ready I add in the carrots and potatoes. I steam the cabbage on the stove.

PrincessFiona60 said:
I plan on cooking my Irish Stout soaked corned beef in the crock-pot. Onions and extra pickling spices go in, two hours before it's ready I add in the carrots and potatoes. I steam the cabbage on the stove.

This will be the first time in my 38 years that I have cooked corned beef! I was looking up crock pot recipes and all of them called for adding everything at once and cooking for 8-9 hours. I thought that the veg would turn to pure mush, so I plan to add them toward the end. Your post is making me confident that this is the way to go!

Brisket or Round ? I always buy the round cut, I find it so much better, so tender cuts with a fork.
I do mind on top of the stove with lil water, onion, carrot, bay leaf pepper
and if Im doing boiled dinner throw in some potatos and cabbage.
I mostly just cook the corn beef as I love it as sandwhiches.
Sammmys-> of course rubens and then just plain on rye bread with a spicy mustard
corn beef hash - mmm and if I don't do a boiled dinner, I will fry cabbage, onions carrots and add the beef. good also.
Happy St pat's day.

This will be the first time in my 38 years that I have cooked corned beef! I was looking up crock pot recipes and all of them called for adding everything at once and cooking for 8-9 hours. I thought that the veg would turn to pure mush, so I plan to add them toward the end. Your post is making me confident that this is the way to go!

I don't like mushy veg, this has come from many years of trying to avoid it. My cabbage never sees the corned beef until it's on the plate, I want it to be green and just barely soft.

You should see the dance I do while using the pressure cooker for corned beef and cabbage.:LOL: I'm feeling lazy this year.

I bought 2 of them "red ones". Freirich corned beef thick point cut and the same one flat cut.

The recipe I was going to follow, says to put in the spice packet, but mine didn't come with any spice packets? Is there something else I can put in in addition to the spice packet?

I ended up cooking all the potatoes, carrots, and 1 of the corned beef's in the crock pot. I also cooked another corned beef on the stove approx 3 hours before serving and threw the cabbage in toward the end. Made for a good meal.

I have a urge to take the potatoes, carrots, and left over broth and make some soup with it. Looked up some basic recipes and looks like I can put together something pretty simple. I also bought ALL the ingredients to make reuben sandwiches.

My mother used to mash my potatoes and carrots along with the turnip all together. She would put a big pat of butter and some on the pot liquor with them. Salt and Pepper. For some strange reason when I do like she did, it just doesn't taste the same. But my kids growing up would ask me to do it for them. Now they have the same complaint. When they do it for their kids, it just doesn't taste the same. This is just one of those things that will get passed down from generation to generation. :chef:

I'll be making gravy out of the juices in the pot. Stout Gravy...yum!

What will you use the gravy for? Do you save gravy after making it? Just curious. Many times, I've had left over gravy and one time I froze it, but to tell you the truth - I think it still might be in the freezer. LOL

Back
Top Bottom