Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Corned beef questions? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f115/corned-beef-questions-78506.html)

legend_018 03-15-2012 08:13 AM

Corned beef questions?

would there be any disadvantages to cooking a corn beef for saint patricks day in a crock pot vs. other cooking methods? Does it matter if you buy a leaner cut or a fattier cut. I think I'm going with the red one and not the grey one.

Thanks so much!

salt and pepper 03-15-2012 08:17 AM

The only thing I could think of is time! I use a pressure cooker.

Andy M. 03-15-2012 08:22 AM

Get the flat cut rather than the point cut. It has less fat waste.

Pink vs. grey is a personal preference.

CraigC 03-15-2012 08:22 AM

We prefer to do a homemade corned beef. We don't put any "curing" agent to give that reddish tint. We trim some of the fat from the brisket but leave most as it helps tenderize and keep the meat moist. It can always be trimmed after cooking. Never tried a slow cooker.

lyndalou 03-15-2012 09:00 AM

I have made it in a crock pot. works very well for me. Remember not to put too much liquid in the pot. Only go no more than half way up the side of the brisket.

LindaZ 03-15-2012 04:28 PM

Having done it in a crock pot and stove top, I prefer the crock pot. Mine comes out tender, it's "fuss free" and I don't think shrinks as much as stove top cooking. Does require less liquid too.

justplainbill 03-15-2012 04:59 PM

We simmer the thick cut in quite a bit of water with additional herbs, onions & garlic to get some of the 'poizen' out.
I enjoy hash made from the leftovers as much as the corned beef on rye and reuben sandwiches.

Katie H 03-15-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaZ (Post 1119780)
Having done it in a crock pot and stove top, I prefer the crock pot. Mine comes out tender, it's "fuss free" and I don't think shrinks as much as stove top cooking. Does require less liquid too.

Well, let's see, I've cooked corned beef in a pot on top of the stove, in a pressure cooker on top of the stove, in the oven and in the crock-pot. Of all ways, I like the crock-pot method the best.

PrincessFiona60 03-15-2012 11:14 PM

I plan on cooking my Irish Stout soaked corned beef in the crock-pot. Onions and extra pickling spices go in, two hours before it's ready I add in the carrots and potatoes. I steam the cabbage on the stove.

bakechef 03-15-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
I plan on cooking my Irish Stout soaked corned beef in the crock-pot. Onions and extra pickling spices go in, two hours before it's ready I add in the carrots and potatoes. I steam the cabbage on the stove.

This will be the first time in my 38 years that I have cooked corned beef! I was looking up crock pot recipes and all of them called for adding everything at once and cooking for 8-9 hours. I thought that the veg would turn to pure mush, so I plan to add them toward the end. Your post is making me confident that this is the way to go!