Something fishy going on here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cusinefiend

Assistant Cook
My girlfriend always says she doesn't like fish but I think she just hasn't had it the right way, any suggestions as to what dishes I can cook her containing fish that will blow her socks clean off :) many thanks

Pan fried sand dabs have real delicate flavor.

Cod with a pesto or tepenade topping is pretty mild on the fish flavor since the other flavors kinda dominate.

I would stick with a white flesh ocean fish or a tuna steak if she likes beef alot.

Last edited:
Does she just dislike the fish taste. The least fishy fish I've ever had was salt cod. The cure takes that typical fish taste out. Even the changes of water you have to put it through didn't smell of fish.

Otherwise, a mild fish, pollock or cod, breaded in panko and deep fried has a very different character from fish done otherwise. But the suggestion about tuna is good, but you need to find very good, sashimi grade tuna. Little of no white tissue showing in it.

And if you can find some fresh Dover sole or flounder, you can saute a bunch of spinach with balsamic vinegar and pine nuts and then roll the fillets and pin them with toothpicks and set them on end in the spinach, cooking covered until done.

And fish Veracruz style buries it in lots of good stuff, so much that the fish is under there somewhere.

Fish-Vera-Cruz.jpg

Once I rubbed tuna steaks with Liquid Smoke and baked them. They were almost like eating beef steak. Very good!

Best to tease out of her why she doesn't like fish. Most people would be insulted and harden their defenses being forced to try something they don't like "because you just haven't had the real thing, or had it the right way."

Best to tease out of her why she doesn't like fish. Most people would be insulted and harden their defenses being forced to try something they don't like "because you just haven't had the real thing, or had it the right way."
Definitely. You don't want to trick her into eating fish, for sure. What if it turns out she is allergic but just doesn't want to say. If she has a specific reason (texture, fishy taste, etc.) you can explain how different types of fish have different qualities. I love some fish and can't stand others. For me, the thought of having any kind of fish stew just gags me (I have never had it, and I can't bring myself to try), but I love a good solid, non-fishy tasting fish like tuna steaks, or mahi-mahi. :)

You might also want to try to figure out if she is one of those people, like me and DH, who only like salt water fish (actually, I enjoy both trout and salmon raw i.e., smoked or gravad, just not cooked). Or maybe she only likes freshwater fish.

My girlfriend always says she doesn't like fish but I think she just hasn't had it the right way, any suggestions as to what dishes I can cook her containing fish that will blow her socks clean off :) many thanks

I'm not trying to be a jerk but, why does it matter?

You can be the surf and she can be the turf, no big deal. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I like it simple, sole poached for a couple of minutes in an oven proof pan then topped with saltine cracker crumbs and dotted with butter, in the oven for a few minutes and dinner is served.

I was thinking the same, AB, let her be. But defeatists are generally not welcome on bulletin boards. And there may be kinks in her defenses...

"It's called caviar, and I'll have you know that it's Her Royal Princess's favorite food. There's 20 bucks worth of 'insect poop' on that cracker in your hand. Just try it, pleeez, for me?"

I like it simple, sole poached for a couple of minutes in an oven proof pan then topped with saltine cracker crumbs and dotted with butter, in the oven for a few minutes and dinner is served.

I was thinking the same, AB, let her be. But defeatists are generally not welcome on bulletin boards. And there may be kinks in her defenses...

"It's called caviar, and I'll have you know that it's Her Royal Princess's favorite food. There's 20 bucks worth of 'insect poop' on that cracker in your hand. Just try it, pleeez, for me?"
I was wondering the same thing. I like some foods my husband doesn't like, and he likes some I don't like. You can serve two meats, or you could even save fish for when you go out to eat and you can each order what you want.

My nephew was in kind of a tough spot a few months ago. He was dating a girl who was so allergic to fish that she couldn't even kiss him for so many hours after he had eaten fish. The thing is, he lives (not a typo, lol) to fish, and he cooks a lot of great seafood dishes. If things had gotten more serious with them he would have had to make a decision whether that was something he could live without. For instance, he wouldn't even have been able to wash his fishing clothes with hers because it could cause problems.

So be glad your girlfriend just doesn't like fish. It could be worse!

Last edited:
If you would like to introduce someone into eating fish , I would start them out on a sweet tasting fish. Walleye.perch,catfish, all very mild tasting. Fried fish and chips.I just love walleye fried in potato flour,great taste!

The Great British Fish Pie.
Make a load of buttery mashed pots. The poach any firm white fish fillets(cod or haddock) in milk.Strain and flake the the fish making sure you remove all the bones(its the bones that put most people off).
Use the strained liquid to make a thick parsley sauce. Place the fish ina baking dish cover with the sauce and let it set up a bit, cover with the mash and bake till golden.

A mix of smoked and non smoked fish is good, the addition of prawn, halved hard boiled eggs hits the spot.:)

Bouillabaisse with Lobster, King Shrimp and Cod

Many people are skimmish with the world of the sea ... I am basically Pescatarian, though I do eat roasts and chicken sometimes ... and I love bolognese above all.

A Bouillabaisse is gorgeous to look at too --- and very light. Need very fresh fish and shellfish to work with however. It can also be served on a bed of pasta and a light marinara. Lovely.

Interesting post.

Happy St. Patrick´s.
Margi.

Last edited:
The Great British Fish Pie.
Make a load of buttery mashed pots. The poach any firm white fish fillets(cod or haddock) in milk.Strain and flake the the fish making sure you remove all the bones(its the bones that put most people off).
Use the strained liquid to make a thick parsley sauce. Place the fish ina baking dish cover with the sauce and let it set up a bit, cover with the mash and bake till golden.

A mix of smoked and non smoked fish is good, the addition of prawn, halved hard boiled eggs hits the spot.:)
This....^

I would first try to find out what it is about fish she doesn't like. if it were taste, I'd ask if she was willing to try mild, sweet fish, maybe breaded and baked or fried. If it's texture, then I'd explaing that different fish have different textures, and even explain that different cooking techiniques result in different textures. Is she put off by the smell? If so, most of the fishy smell comes from fish oil and fat. Choose lean, smaller fish that is absolutley fresh. There is very little smell in fresh fish. And when cooking, make sure you remove any bllood line, and/or fat and fatty meat (usually darker in color and located in the belly and under the dorsal fin). If she objects to bones, choose fish that have large, easily removed bones, or purchase boneless fillets.

Cooking techniques and flavoring can greatly alter the taste of a fish presentation. Some examples: Cooking with wood smoke, planking on cedar, brining in a brine solution that includes brown sugar, brushing with soy or teryaki sauce, poaching in an herb-laced broth, cooking in foil with lemon and butter, dry rubs added to the flesh before baking, frying, or grilling. And there are many more options.

If she truly doesn't like fish, in any form, then definitely, present her with something she does enjoy, while you enjoy the fish. Make sides that compliment both proteins that you cook.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I would try crab cakes first, fish n chips are good too, most folks favor anything fried, stuffed clams, Make a real good tartar sauce for the first two, and the last serve with lots of lemon on the side.

Try Swai or Talapia - dip in seasoned flour (dry dill, s & p, maybe a sprinkle of onion or garlic powder) then in egg wash then in panko and fry. Maybe some lemon on the side. Placed on a big buch of mixed greens with some black olive slices and a drizzle of mild dressing and maybe serve with some really good garlic-cheese bread. If she likes spicy, fry dipped in blackened seasoning with a good rice side.

Back
Top Bottom