Cake Report :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KissTheCook

Assistant Cook
Today, I would like to share some information you may or may not know.
First, when baking a cake, when you pull it out of the oven cut it then and take it out of the pan. Its alot easier then waiting and the cake doesn't stick. Tested and works.
Second, if you are making a filled cake the icing ring to hold it all in shouldn't be on the edge, it should be a little bit to the center by a 1/2 inch.
Third, hot to boiling water will make icing smoother.
Fourth, parchment paper on the pan helps.
Fifth and final, buttercream icing is better than store bought. Royal icing hardens fast. Buttercream recipe follows:
1/2 cup veggie shortening
1/2 cup butter softened (i forget to do that part sometimes)
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners' sugar (about 1 pound)
2 tablespoons milk

In a large bowl, cream shortening and butter. Add vanilla. Add confectioners' sugar one cup at a time. Add milk. Its ready to use.
:chef: Hope this helped someone.

I HATE fondant frosting. I will only make either buttercream or cream cheese frosting. I prefer the latter. It is not as sweet as buttercream. I also level the top of each layer. That way the layers lay flat and gives me a flat top as well. :yum:

Back in the days when I actually made layer cakes, I would cut circles of waxed paper by placing a clean pan on waxed paper, then running a line around the pan. I then cut out the circle just inside the line I had drawn. I first greased the pan with shortening, put in a waxed paper circle, then greased the waxed paper circle. After the cake was baked, I immediately turned the pan upside down on yet another piece of waxed paper, tapped the pan gently, then lifter the pan off the cake. I then removed the circle of waxed paper. I never had problems removing a cake layer from the pan using this method, just like my mother did it for years and years.

I HATE fondant frosting.
Well fondant isn't a frosting is a "topping" used for coating the cake. Your recipe might be wrong so I'm going to give you the one i use.
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup shortening (i use Crisco)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 pounds confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a big bowl mix the light corn syrup and shortening together.
Add the salt and vanilla flavoring
Very slowly mix in the confectioners' sugar
Mix the dough to a play dough consistency
If the dough is too sticky add more confectioners' sugar
If possible it is recommended to allow fondant to chill in the refrigerator
To use your fondant, roll it out on a table that has been dusted with confectioners' sugar. Roll it out to be between 1/4 inch and 1/8 thick.
"Dirty ice" (put buttercream on the cake) the cake then put on the fondant. If fondant cracks steam it with a steamer. (Iron at an angle would work as long as the fondant gets steamed)

I hope this helps.

I'm sorry, but that sounds gross. I don't do shortening, especially not something as artificial as Crisco.

Back in the days when I actually made layer cakes, I would cut circles of waxed paper by placing a clean pan on waxed paper, then running a line around the pan. I then cut out the circle just inside the line I had drawn. I first greased the pan with shortening, put in a waxed paper circle, then greased the waxed paper circle. After the cake was baked, I immediately turned the pan upside down on yet another piece of waxed paper, tapped the pan gently, then lifter the pan off the cake. I then removed the circle of waxed paper. I never had problems removing a cake layer from the pan using this method, just like my mother did it for years and years.

I do something similar for all my cakes, from regular 8" layers up to 15 and 18 inch wedding cake tiers. I use Parchment instead of wax paper (though either is good) and after I have greased the pan the second time with the parchment, I dust the sides and bottom with flour. If it is a chocolate cake I dust with sifted cocoa to retain the rich chocolate colour and flavour.

Its actually really sweet from the sugar, but other then that its not bad you dont have to use crisco thats just what i use. The pro cooks use fondant to make it smoother.

Crisco battle?!?

Well they use crisco because they can buy it in the big tubs and it saves money but with the recipes i post you can use any type of shortening

Crisco (or any shortening) is used in buttercream to make it more white. Half butter half shortening plus clear (artificial) vanilla is, unfortunately, the standard of our trade because most brides want nice white frosting on their cakes. I tend to use more butter, less shortening and real vanilla when using buttercream as a crumb coat layer under fondant because colour is not a factor and the taste is more important - fondant isn't the most enjoyable tasting stuff, though some of the commercial brands are making flavoured versions.

You can get away with not using shortening and get a fairly white frosting by using meringue buttercreams. There are several types but they make a nice looking and tasting frosting using a hot sugar syrup, butter and egg whites. I like to use this whenever I can because it not only tastes better but stands up to room temperature better as well.

I have never heard of shortening in fondant. I usually buy mine in bulk, but on the occasions I have made it I have used both the marshmallow and glycerine methods. Yes it is foul tasting stuff but when making it home made you can add any flavourings you want.

When I am making less formal cakes I will use simple butter, icing sugar, vanilla and milk frostings and they work very well also.

Hope this helps! :)

Crisco (or any shortening) is used in buttercream to make it more white. Half butter half shortening plus clear (artificial) vanilla is, unfortunately, the standard of our trade because most brides want nice white frosting on their cakes. I tend to use more butter, less shortening and real vanilla when using buttercream as a crumb coat layer under fondant because colour is not a factor and the taste is more important - fondant isn't the most enjoyable tasting stuff, though some of the commercial brands are making flavoured versions.

You can get away with not using shortening and get a fairly white frosting by using meringue buttercreams. There are several types but they make a nice looking and tasting frosting using a hot sugar syrup, butter and egg whites. I like to use this whenever I can because it not only tastes better but stands up to room temperature better as well.

I have never heard of shortening in fondant. I usually buy mine in bulk, but on the occasions I have made it I have used both the marshmallow and glycerine methods. Yes it is foul tasting stuff but when making it home made you can add any flavourings you want.

When I am making less formal cakes I will use simple butter, icing sugar, vanilla and milk frostings and they work very well also.

Hope this helps! :)

That is what turns me off. The taste and the texture. I used to make meringue frosting. I don't know why I stopped. I should go back to it.

I live in Montréal. We take pride in food. We get good stuff in the bakeries here. I almost wish we didn't. It's so much easier to stay on a diet when that stuff with shortening is all that is tempting me. :LOL:

I live in Montréal. We take pride in food. We get good stuff in the bakeries here. I almost wish we didn't. It's so much easier to stay on a diet when that stuff with shortening is all that is tempting me. :LOL:

I am not a sweet eater. My idea of a treat in the sugar department is a Hershey bar or a Mounds. And I haven't had a candy bar since last summer. I bought a small Mounds. It cost 15 cents. I took one bite and had to spit it out. It was just too sweet for me. Being a diabetic, that is a good thing for me. It keeps me on the right path. I have never liked Italian sweets. But my biggest downfall is eclairs. Just walking past a bakery makes me want to go in and get a couple. I usually remove the chocolate frosting on the top. I only like the dark chocolate. Oh dear. Now I want a couple. There is a bakery right near my house. I will have to get dressed and go to get a couple. :chef:

I love meringue frosting, but my first attempt (many moons ago) turned in to marshmallow, it was a hit!

I think if you asked your bakery you would find that the "good stuff" may contain some shortening - specially if it is pure white icing.

My buttercream contains shortening but everyone raves over the taste of it. I don't use a 50/50 blend but add more butter (unsalted which is less yellow) and less shortening. I have NEVER had a complaint about it tasting "yucky" from shortening.

I think if you asked your bakery you would find that the "good stuff" may contain some shortening - specially if it is pure white icing.

My buttercream contains shortening but everyone raves over the taste of it. I don't use a 50/50 blend but add more butter (unsalted which is less yellow) and less shortening. I have NEVER had a complaint about it tasting "yucky" from shortening.

Some stores use shortening only and you can tell, it has to be melted out of your mouth. I like real buttercream with all butter. Of course, it does not hold up well for decorating, it's too soft.

Okay, for my birthday, I'm putting in my request for a deep dark chocolate cake with dark chocolate icing...:pig:

Some stores use shortening only and you can tell, it has to be melted out of your mouth. I like real buttercream with all butter. Of course, it does not hold up well for decorating, it's too soft.

Okay, for my birthday, I'm putting in my request for a deep dark chocolate cake with dark chocolate icing...:pig:

Consider it done. The Hershey frosting is not as sweet as a regular frosting. The cake is so moist. It is my favorite chocolate cake to make. And there is only melted butter in the frosting. No shortening.

If only there were some way to ship a cake and have it arrive in one piece. You can mark packages fragile, this side up, and any other direction you can think of. But the post office does not stop to read it. You have to pack it as if it were your child in there. It is up to you to protect the contents. I have several friends that I would be shipping this cake to them every year. Although I have been known to fly to their home to make it for them. :yum:

Okay, Addie, you beat me. I was going to tell Fiona I would make it for her with a nice dark chocolate ganache filling.:chef:

I am not a sweet eater. My idea of a treat in the sugar department is a Hershey bar or a Mounds. And I haven't had a candy bar since last summer. I bought a small Mounds. It cost 15 cents. I took one bite and had to spit it out. It was just too sweet for me. Being a diabetic, that is a good thing for me. It keeps me on the right path. I have never liked Italian sweets. But my biggest downfall is eclairs. Just walking past a bakery makes me want to go in and get a couple. I usually remove the chocolate frosting on the top. I only like the dark chocolate. Oh dear. Now I want a couple. There is a bakery right near my house. I will have to get dressed and go to get a couple. :chef:

Addie, I have a diabetic chocolate cake that my Dad used to love! It was moist and looked and tasted like a regular chocolate cake. It doesn't use artificial sweeteners, but contains a lower amount of sugar and agave syrup. You could use honey instead.

As for eclairs. I could probably come up with a less sugar version of them too if you like. :) I am serious - once I finish this wedding cake this week I would love to play around with that! Then you could have the recipe and make them when you want (I will make it a small recipe!).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom