Box of linguine & a jar of pesto plz advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FluffyAngel

Senior Cook
These are a few of my ingredients. Kind of a weird combo to me. Here it is: a few chicken strips, pkg of Cheddar sausages, potatoes, onions, Persian cucumbers, lemons, sour cream, Havarti, Provolone, Mozzarella, Mexican Melting cheese, & blue cheese
Canned: tomatoes, corn, chickpeas, kidney beans, black beans, black eyed peas, cream of mushroom soup,
Frozen: carrots, bell peppers, leeks, Broccolli, Pearl onions, sugar snap peas, broccoli cauliflower carrots blend.
Most any spices needed I'm sure.
I can purchase a couple more items if need be but hoping to use what's available.

FluffyAngel, are you asking for a how-to recipe with linguine and pesto (the subject) or a recipe to combine all the ingredients you posted in the text?

Fortify the jarred pesto and use according to the following.
Good Afternoon,

Pesto takes its name from the Italian Verb Pestare, which means to polverize or pound. It is the classic sauce of the Ligurian province. Traditionally, made in a mortar and pestle, many chefs today, whip it up in a Food Processor. The Pecorino ewe milk cheese should not be too sharp, and a perfect young Pecorino Sardo shall provide the nutty flavors and only a hint of sharpness. The extraordinarie wine for this dish is: Cortese di Gavi.

I had been at the Condo in Italia, until today preparing for the Easter Holiday as the gals and kids are coming over ... So, this is a dish, I had prepared at the Condo.

4 Appetiser Size

1 large garlic clove
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 1/2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Sardo ( 2 ounces )
5 tblsps toasted pine nuts
salt and black pepper grinded
2 tblps heavy cream
1 pound of Tagliatelli
Additional freshly grated cheese

1) finely chop the garlic in a food processor
2) with machine running, gradually add the oil in a thin steady stream
3) add basil by handfuls and blend until smooth
4) season with salt and black pepper
5) mix cream into the pesto
6) fold in remaining pine nuts
7) prepare the pasta of choice
8) mix a little of the cooking liquid with the pesto
9) add to the tagliatelli and toss

By: Margaux Cintrano.

I want to use the linguine & pesto together. I would like any advice on how to step up just a box of linguine & jar of pesto to make it come alive...And is there anything I can do with those other ingredients either to include any in the main dish or create any side dish to accompany the main dish of linguine & pesto.

Cook the linguine, stir in the pesto and add sauteed sliced bell pepper, leeks and broccoli. Use the chicken strips, warmed up and create a lemon sauce to pour on top. Simple lemon juice, zest, very little sugar and butter.

Completely off topic but, what time zone is DC posting in? It's 8:15 a.m. here.

Cook the linguine, stir in the pesto and add sauteed sliced bell pepper, leeks and broccoli. Use the chicken strips, warmed up and create a lemon sauce to pour on top. Simple lemon juice, zest, very little sugar and butter.

Simple and beautiful, PrincessFiona60!

FluffyAngel, when I make my pasta with a jar of ready pesto, I always warm a large bowl for the linguine. I fill it with hot tap water, then put in the sealed pesto jar to warm it. A couple of minutes before the pasta is ready, I throw away the water from the bowl, pour the pesto in the bowl and mix it with some hot water taken from the pot in which I cook the pasta (the amount of water depends from the density of the pesto), then stir it. Then I put the pasta in the bowl, mix it and add some grated cheese: you can try your provolone. Usually I decide the quantity of salt in the pasta cooking water and the quantity of grated pecorino after tasting the pesto: some of them can be very savory.

Buon appetito!

Last edited:
I would take your bag of frozen pepper blend veggies thaw them and in a saute pan add your left over chicken strips and your sausage and heat it through and cook the pasta to your liking add the pesto then mix it all together in a baking dish top with the provolone and mozzarella grated and bake at 350 about 20-25 mins until cheese is melted.

FluffyAngel, when I make my pasta with a jar of ready pesto, I always warm a large bowl for the linguine. I fill it with hot tap water, then put in the sealed pesto jar to warm it. A couple of minutes before the pasta is ready, I throw away the water from the bowl, pour the pesto in the bowl and mix it with some hot water taken from the pot in which I cook the pasta (the amount of water depends from the density of the pesto), then stir it. Then I put the pasta in the bowl, mix it and add some grated cheese: you can try your provolone. Usually I decide the quantity of salt in the pasta cooking water and the quantity of grated pecorino after tasting the pesto: some of them can be very savory.

Buon appetito!

Thanks, Luca!:)

If you have pizza dough or French bread - Pizza
Slice the loaf in half lengthwise, spread the halves with pesto, top with drained diced tomatoes (add finely chopped garlic, if you have it). Top with shredded mozzarella and bake until cheese is melted. You could add cooked chicken strips too, if you wish.

Cucumber and sour cream salad

Potato pancakes (w/ chopped onion, egg and breadcrumbs), topped with sour cream or sour cream/cucumber sauce.

justplainbill said:
Justplainbill : Thanks for posting this recipe. I'd love to make my own pesto sometime.
Margi cintrano: Thanks for another great recipe.:). It will be savored.

PrincessFiona60 said:
PrincessFiona60: Thank you. This is simple & sounds delicious - just how I like them. :) This one wins tonight.

Luca Lazzari said:

Buon appetito!
Lucca: I will incorporate your method in with PF's idea, & tomorrow night's supper should be a success. Thank you.

Lori_Galvin said:
I would take your bag of frozen pepper blend veggies thaw them and in a saute pan add your left over chicken strips and your sausage and heat it through and cook the pasta to your liking add the pesto then mix it all together in a baking dish top with the provolone and mozzarella grated and bake at 350 about 20-25 mins until cheese is melted.

Thank You for the idea. That sounds good too. I appreciate all responses. Maybe I will try this next. I don't know how to send those nice thank you messages from my phone.

Cerise said:
If you have pizza dough or French bread - Pizza
Slice the loaf in half lengthwise, spread the halves with pesto, top with drained diced tomatoes (add finely chopped garlic, if you have it). Top with shredded mozzarella and bake until cheese is melted. You could add cooked chicken strips too, if you wish.

Cucumber and sour cream salad

Potato pancakes (w/ chopped onion, egg and breadcrumbs), topped with sour cream or sour cream/cucumber sauce.

Your speaking my language with a Pizza suggestion. Only thing is, I don't think I have enough cheese. But I will have these ingredients on my shopping list for next time. Can you elaborate on the cucumber & sour cream salad?

PrincessFiona60 said:
All right...most amazing it still sounds good for an off the top of my head, without coffee brain fart storm.

Oh My Gosh Princess! That was Amazing! So simple & sooo good. Thank you

Luca Lazzari said:

Buon appetito!

I did need to thin the pesto and the warm bowl for the linguine was very effective. It was plenty cheesy enough. I added some fresh garlic and a little salt to awaken the pesto. Thanks for the tips.

justplainbill said:

I did add fresh garlic, EVOO, salt & pepper to awaken the pesto. Thank you for the recipe & advice.

Back
Top Bottom