In search for the correct flour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Honestly I do not think it tasted the same as the bread I was looking for, but it did tasted very good and fairly close.

1 lb. flour I used bread flour and whole wheat flour 70-30
13 oz. water, maybe just a drop more.
1 pack yeast, I was not sure about exact amount as the recipe was in grams and also it called for fresh yeast cake
1/4 oz. salt
It did not call for sugar, but I put about a tea spoon.

Made starter (is it what it calls in English) using yeast, sugar about a third of both water and flour.

The recipe called for starter to seat for 4 hours, I had no time, waited for about hour 15 minutes, added the rest of flour salt and water, mixed well, using KA, do not over mix.
Covered let it seat, after an hour I pushed the dough down put it on the counter, made two balls sprinkled with flour let it seat again for maybe half an hour. After another half an hour I put in on the baking sheet, sprinkled, heavily, with flour and baked for about 30-35 minutes at 425 deg. The original recipe called for double the recipe and making two loaves, I did not wanted ruin it too much bread, but it was good I will make 2 loaves next time. The only thing I will have to try 75-25 flour mix.

What is "oven spring"? For this particular bread I do not want to slush the top as it is not how the bread was made originally.

"oven spring" is the extra rise you get when it goes into the oven, before the baking stops anymore rise.

Many US breads are not even consider breads by Russian standards. People laugh at "wonder bread" and a like. I was suffering without bread for years before this awesome bread bakery opened, baking old world breads. French, Italian, German, I love the place. I think I gain 20 pounds since they've opened. I can live on their bread.

As far as my search. You were right it is spelt. I doubt that was ever used in soviet days. Simply like everything else in Soviet Union there were standards and the quality ranking: 1-st, second, 3-rd level of quality. 1-st being the best, the finest. The flour used for this bread was a 2-nd level, which meant it was not as fine, not as clean, whatever else. I think I will continue making this bread on occasion. As I said the “Breadsmith”, that's the name of the bakery, produces awesome breads and I am pretty happy with it. But once in a while it is great to have variety.

Thank you.

We have a Breadsmith close to where I work.

Charlie, you might also check out Brianno's Italian Deli in Eagan. They're fresh baked peasant bread is excellent. They are on Cliff Rd near Cedar.

Many US breads are not even consider breads by Russian standards. People laugh at "wonder bread" and a like. I was suffering without bread for years before this awesome bread bakery opened, baking old world breads. French, Italian, German, I love the place. I think I gain 20 pounds since they've opened. I can live on their bread.

As far as my search. You were right it is spelt. I doubt that was ever used in soviet days. Simply like everything else in Soviet Union there were standards and the quality ranking: 1-st, second, 3-rd level of quality. 1-st being the best, the finest. The flour used for this bread was a 2-nd level, which meant it was not as fine, not as clean, whatever else. I think I will continue making this bread on occasion. As I said the “Breadsmith”, that's the name of the bakery, produces awesome breads and I am pretty happy with it. But once in a while it is great to have variety.

Thank you.
One of the best things for me about moving out of New York City was being forced to learn how to bake my own bread. Being able to bake the bread one likes gives one a certain sense of freedom and independence. The ultimate would be the ability to raise one's own grain and process it into flour but a- that's a lot of work and b- it's awful damp where I live.

There was this rye bread made in Kiev, that was so good the turists would buy it to bring it home. That one i would like to make. The problem is Russian rye flour is dark, practically brow, so bread comes out brown. I do not know why it is but rye flour here is white, or practiacly white, so people strat adding colors, and with colors comes different taste.

I do not know why it is but rye flour here is white, or practiacly white, so people strat adding colors, and with colors comes different taste.
There are different types of rye flour. I think it's Hodgson Mill that I've bought that makes a dark rye flour. From what I understand, the color has to do with the amount of bran in the flour. More bran means darker color.

I've seen recipes where people add cocoa or coffee to their rye bread to make it darker. You're right. That is kind of strange.

My bf likes wonderbread. Yuck! Glad my parents didn't feed me that crap when I was growing up...
My parents didn't feed me that either. We used to get the neighbour kid to steal a few slices from home. Then we would take off the crust and squish each slice into a tiny, little, dough-like ball. :LOL:

Kids are weird.

Last edited:
taxlady said:
My parents didn't feed me that either. We used to get the neighbour kid to steal a few slices from home. Then we would take off the crust and squish each slice into a tiny, little, dough-like ball. :LOL:

Kids are weird.

Ha ha I did that too! But I would cut off the crust, squish the slices between two books, then toast the flattened result and butter it. It was actually pretty good... My grandpa would butter one side of wonderbread, fry that side and serve. Also pretty good :)

Speaking of fried bread, I have an awesome quick recipe:

Slice the bread you like, lightly butter on both sides, fry till golden brown, set aside. Separtly mix ketchup and softened butter, about 50:50, till smooth. Spread on the bread, sprinkle with grated Parmezan.

Kids are weird.

The only thing better than squished bread balls are squished bread balls fried up in garlic butter. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom