In search for the correct flour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
I was at somebody's house a while ago, and they had this homemade bread. It was really amazing. Of course I've asked for recipe, but to no avail. I hate that. This site taught me to share and help. Never mind. I would like to make similar bread and I think I have even found a recipe that might reproduce the very similar bread. However it is in Russian, which is not a problem, problem that the flour they use I have never seen here in the States. The result is this bread that is not white. I am going to post a picture here to provide you with an idea. Maybe you can tell me what kind of flour you would use to get something like this. Thank you in advance everybody.

Attachments

• arnautka.jpg
    arnautka.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 505
Charlie, from looking at the color that could be whole wheat or light rye. What did it taste like?

Did it have a rye flavor? If not, it might well be a mix of unbleached white and white whole wheat, neither of which are really white.

Flavor will tell much. If there's a hint of pumpernickle, it might be close to this:
1-1193245886531.jpg

A Simple, Rustic Loaf: King Arthur Flour

A Russian rye, to me, usually appears with deeper warmer color.

What do they call the flour in the Russian recipe? And if you think it's corrupted too much in translation, can you approximate the spelling in English or link to the recipe in Russian.

No rye, no whole whet , at least not as far as taste goes. Unbleached flour maybe, but I've made things with unbleached flour and the end result was still white. In Russian they use a low grade or low quality flour. I don't really know of better translation. Tasted darn good though.

So I Googled the name of russian bread. It is called Arnautka. I guess it is also a special type of wheat. But that was as much info as I found.

Can I make a bread out of it? In all the truth I doubt the person has bought the special flour like that jut to make bread. Just judging by the person. I hate when people do not share recipes.
Jennyema, that bread is way too dark. It was really just a bit of white color.

Can I make a bread out of it? In all the truth I doubt the person has bought the special flour like that jut to make bread. Just judging by the person. I hate when people do not share recipes.
Jennyema, that bread is way too dark. It was really just a bit of white color.

Im not an expert but I dont think you can use 100% durum to make bread

GLC's recipe might be a closer match ...

You know, if someone has a very sensitive set of tasting equipment, it can be hard to bake an exact duplicate, even with the same ingredients. Waters are different. Ovens are different. Ambient room temperatures are different. On the other hand, the differences between flours, so long as they're of similar protein content and fineness, aren't so great that you get a close approximation. And the great thing about bread is that even the failures usually taste pretty good.

Maybe it was a buckwheat bread. It comes out kind of nutty and sweet. It's a not uncommon ingredient, especially in the Ukraine, apparently.

First clear flour is a high extraction wheat flour. Essentially, whole wheat flour has some of the bran sifted out but not as much as for white flour, which at one time was called "Second Clear Flour," as I understand it. So, compared to white flour, First clear flour has more bran and wheat germ and higher ash content.

It is also known as "common flour." It is used in traditional Jewish rye bread and pumpernickel. It is also used in breads that attempt to replicate the bread commonly eaten in France (and French Canada) during the 17th and 18th centuries. The famous Pain Poilane is one example. The Miche, Ponte-a-Calliere in Hamelman's "Bread" is another.

The only source for First Clear flour I know of is King Arthur's Baker's Catalogue. However, there are other high extraction flours available such as Heartland Mill's "Golden Buffulo." I have used lots and lots of the King Arthur First Clear flour and like how it performs and tastes. I have a 10 lb bag of Golden Buffulo sitting unopened in my pantry, waiting for the next time I make a Miche. (So many breads. So little time. Etc.)

Above is from
FIRST CLEAR FLOUR | The Fresh Loaf

Last edited by a moderator:
No rye, no whole whet , at least not as far as taste goes. Unbleached flour maybe, but I've made things with unbleached flour and the end result was still white. In Russian they use a low grade or low quality flour. I don't really know of better translation. Tasted darn good though.
D firstly from your home region the bread flour is some of the best in eastern europe and the world. The whiter the bread the richer the person, I used a beautiful unbleached cheap "peasant" flour in Serbia last year which gave a slightly "muddy" color but because of the high protein the texture and taste was fantastic.
I came home and found Canadian red spring. I mix 5% wholemeal to 95% white to get the same rustic look.

Charlie, from looking at the color that could be whole wheat or light rye. What did it taste like?
agree with AndyM, looks like rye to me.
also understand how frustrating it is to find something you like but can't get the makings of.
flavor is important, try to detect what stands out most I suppose.

Last edited:
Charlie, I'd be willing to bet he's just using whole wheat bread flour, or maybe a mixture of WW and white. At least that's what it looks like to me, and that's what I'd use.

It was not rye for sure. I think I am in agrement wit Steve on this one. I've talked to number of people on some russian cooking sites and they recomend of mixing WW and white flour. Most common advise I've got from them so far is 30-70% ratio.
Thank you everybody. I will have to try that.

Attachments

• breadslash.jpg
    breadslash.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 248

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom