Software Upgrade - Community Downtime (2/25 - 2/27)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy R

Site Team
Staff member
Well after some discussion with the rest of the DC site helpers and admins I am please to announce that we are going to upgrade the software that runs our community.

I will list out some features, discuss the process and then field questions.

We are currently running on an open source software called phpBB. It is very popular and a good solution for many forum communities. DC is growing fast and moving to a more robust/feature rich solution will give us the tools needed to keep up.

I will try to keep as much of the look and feel of the site the same. Here are a few things that you will

- A nice posting editor tool that allows for easier formatting of your posts
- Enhanced photo attachment features
- Ability to breakout categories into sub-categories for better organization
- A photo gallery
- A link system to other cooking resources online
- Tons of site help and admin management tools
- User subscription system
- Printer friendly interface
- Member Karma system...

There are so many new features that the above list still seems to short?!?

Question: So how will the upgrade work?
Answer: I will turn the community off and then start to import all the info from our current database into the new database. Then I will have to go through and make sure all permissions are set properly and I will reopen the site. During the first week after the upgrade we are all going to have to help each other get used to things.

I have done this before on a couple of big communities and some members will feel right at home because they are already familiar with vBulletin. Others will have to learn the new interface and get used to it.

right now I am planning to do the upgrades this weekend. I'll post an exact date & time as the week progresses. Please expect the site to be down from Friday evening to Monday morning. In all reality I Think I can have the conversion done in a matter of hours.

well, let the questions/support/feedback roll and I will try to answer as many questions as possible each night when I get a chance.

ok, i'll go first, if elfie would stop dancing on my feet! :D

what is a user subscription service, and a member karma system?

I have done this before on a couple of big communities and some members will feel right at home because they are already familiar with vBulletin. Others will have to learn the new interface and get used to it.

Andy,
Would you name us a site that is running the "vBulletin" format?

Just so we can take look at it. Maybe get a jump on using the system.

Charlie

MG It's not going to be really compllicated , is it? I can mess up a free lunch as they say, so a little apprehensive about the changes. :?

buckytom said:
ok, i'll go first, if elfie would stop dancing on my feet! :D

what is a user subscription service, and a member karma system?

Not sure what the subscription service would be, but a karma system usually tracks how active people are (Kind of a more devolped version of our, new member, forum member, etc. system now).

John

(Should be interesting to see)

If you can learn to use this forum them you will be able to learn the new one. Plus you will have the help and support of everyone here in case you have any questions.

I for one cannot wait to see these new changes. It is the type of thing that our community needs. We have an amazing site right now and it is only going to get better :D

After the site improvements are completed we can start talking about a full color magazine that showcases our recipes and unique personalities!!! Eh? Eh? :D

Will I have to do something different with typing the address in? What do I type in the address to get to the forum? WWW.discusscooking.com will remain the same? (Do I seem like I am in first grade?) With these computers I am happy to have one to be able to mess up regularly until someone here comes pushes button and back to normal. I always been standing at the back of the line in everything. That way no one gets upset.

ITK, it will just affect the way the website looks--not the address itself. Looking at the page that MJ linked us to, it's actually quite similar to what we have now, but with some more bells and whistles. I'm sure once Andy has it up and running there will be lots of info on how to do things.

Hey, I just spent some time cruising the website that MJ provided and I dig it! 8) Looks pretty user friendly and it DOES have tons of extras that we don't currently have. I admit that I was a touch resistant to the idea of changing this place (I'm one of those types that is always skeptical of change) but I think it's a great improvement and I can't wait! :D

I'm the same way, DC! I remember when I was little and my grandparents got a new kitchen light I burst into tears when I saw it! :LOL: I'm a stickler for tradition, I guess!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom