Splashing out, virtually at least.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mel!

Sous Chef
If you had 100 Euros extra right now, to buy cooking ingredients, what would they be?

Really fancy vanilla beans or saffron but I wouldn't be stingy with it like usual. A whole large bean in my creme brule and lots of saffron in my rice!

I don't know how much 100 Euros would buy, but I would buy as many avocados and other guacamole ingredients as I could, along with an equal amount of nacho cheese, jalapenos, and white corn tortilla chips! Since it is strictly virtual, I won't have to worry about my blood pressure and blood glucose levels! (Although I think they just both went up when I wrote the ingredients down!). :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Don't think $133.00 dollars would buy an aweful lot of stuff. Maybe 1/4 of a golf ball size white truffle. Maybe a small jar of beluga caviar?

Last edited:
I think, I would go with the stocking up on vanilla and saffron too. :)

Also, I would go to the Asian store and buy some of all the spices I am missing. I generally collect them, one at a time, and have always run out of some of them.

Jabugo air dried acorn fed ham from Jabugo, Huelva Spain and Proscuitto di Parma from Parma, Emilia Romagna, Italia ...

If there was a drop left over, I would get a bottle of red wine that I like called DOSMAUROs ( Sán Román, Zamora, Spain ) from a winery by same name.

NOTE: $1.33 USD is 1.00 Euro

Otherwise I would do this: get 2 Filet Mignon and Lobster for two ...
and 2 bottles of wine, a white and a red ... This would certainly be in price range of 133 Euros ... with change left over ...

Interesting post. Thanks, and Kind regards.
Margi.
Margi.

Last edited:
The grocer's wanted $13 US yesterday for a pineapple they peeled and put in a plasic tub in long sticks. Here - we already did all the work for you, now pay us. I couldn't find a decent / ripe pina at this market, so I passed on it this time ( which is also why I was looking at the packaged ones).

I didn't blink twice when buying some fresh herbs @ $ 2.99 hot house / off season/ same price any herb. Basically worth about 25-50 cents any other time of year.

I have been lucky enough to have wonderful prime steaks several times in my life. I could make similar meals again, but never repeat Those Same Steaks, ( please read= steaks = Any perfect meal you've ever had) Nor The Occasions when they occurred.

I have never tasted caviar, so I guess this would make my list, along with a whole lobster cooked for two on the beach along the coast in Maine, with a nice wine and a bonfire after dark. Did I go over Budget?

Probably.

"Jabugo air dried acorn fed ham from Jabugo, Huelva Spain and Proscuitto di Parma from Parma, Emilia Romagna, Italia ... "

Margi, do you know it's only within recent years we in the US have been able to import /buy these hams. The US dept of agriculure or some gov't body had a restriction on imports like these so as not to compete with local produced hams. I think these regulations have changed long enough now, that I don't remember. I have yet to see Iberian hams made from acorn fed pigs in a market though. I suspect one woujld need to place a Very Special Order and hope that no one koshed you on the head while unobtusively leaving the market with your purchase in a very plain un-marked wrapper tucked inside a generic grocery bag. LOL

Some things are costly because they are rare, and some things are costly because of the quality from their begining growth cylce. until the many months it takes for them to cure long after the ham has been made. I think Iberian hams fall within both categories.

PS. My grandfather was a Meat - packer? I think that's what they call this job. His job with a reputable company was to make smoked hams which were hoisted to the rafters of a big building that I remember as a kid, to hang for months. The Hams that is. I wasn't strung up. (Although I wasn't a model grandchild) . I think his hams tasted good. That was years ago. Now, their hams are mostly injected and are turned out to the grocer's shelf in lightning speed.

That is different kinds of ham. Hamm. I think is good in its many forms. Right up there with Bacon. Mmmm bacon. The other best part of Pigs.

PPS. How far we have come. Around. Our local city now allows Chickens to be grown in your back yard for personal use. And the City Council last year revised laws for commercial gardens. I wonder how soon we will be able to grow our own back yard pigs, beyond Pot Belly Pets.

Mmmm Pork.

"Jabugo air dried acorn fed ham from Jabugo, Huelva Spain and Proscuitto di Parma from Parma, Emilia Romagna, Italia ... "

Margi, do you know it's only within recent years we in the US have been able to import /buy these hams. The US dept of agriculure or some gov't body had a restriction on imports like these so as not to compete with local produced hams. I think these regulations have changed long enough now, that I don't remember. I have yet to see Iberian hams made from acorn fed pigs in a market though. I suspect one woujld need to place a Very Special Order and hope that no one koshed you on the head while unobtusively leaving the market with your purchase in a very plain un-marked wrapper tucked inside a generic grocery bag. LOL

Some things are costly because they are rare, and some things are costly because of the quality from their begining growth cylce. until the many months it takes for them to cure long after the ham has been made. I think Iberian hams fall within both categories.

PS. My grandfather was a Meat - packer? I think that's what they call this job. His job with a reputable company was to make smoked hams which were hoisted to the rafters of a big building that I remember as a kid, to hang for months. The Hams that is. I wasn't strung up. (Although I wasn't a model grandchild) . I think his hams tasted good. That was years ago. Now, their hams are mostly injected and are turned out to the grocer's shelf in lightning speed.

That is different kinds of ham. Hamm. I think is good in its many forms. Right up there with Bacon. Mmmm bacon. The other best part of Pigs.

PPS. How far we have come. Around. Our local city now allows Chickens to be grown in your back yard for personal use. And the City Council last year revised laws for commercial gardens. I wonder how soon we will be able to grow our own back yard pigs, beyond Pot Belly Pets.

Mmmm Pork.

There are still restrictions on these products. The cure time is dictated by the USDA. We can't get the exact product available in the country of origin!:mad: Those folks must laugh long and heartily at the USDA, since they have been doing these products well before we were a country!:ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom