Possible GCC Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Hey everyone; We haven't had a good GCC challenge in a while. I'm still not quite ready to do one yet, but have an idea for one. Here it is.

Make a miniature structure out of candy. Think of things like a log home made from Kit Kat bars, or a geodesic dome made from those little carmel corn triangles. Throw your imagination into this. Make a cruise ship from sugar cubes, or a stone house from Boston Baked Beans. Think of the crazy things you could make with Twizzlers.

I'm not talking blown sugar sculptures like they used to do on the Food Network Channel. We have to use commonly available ingredients just like in all of our previous challenges.

This is just a thought, and I don't know when would be the best time to do it.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Greg,
GCC stands for Golden Chef Challenge. I can't remember who's brainchild it was.....maybe Chief Longwind(I think maybe it was) If you search GCC or Golden Chef you will get the posts from previous challenges. they usually involve an ingredient that must be used in 3 or 4 courses of a meal, we have done mushrooms which meant that mushrooms must be used in a dessert as well as the main course, and we have done chocolate which meant chocolate was not just for dessert. There was one challenge where all the ingredients for the meal had to be purchased from a gas station/corner store and another that was a picnic that had to be completely portable. They are really fun, there are usually some polls and lots of pics and plenty of conversation.:chef:

Thank you Somebunny. :)

Isn't there a forum section for that? DC: Cooking Contests? I've been eying that forum section for a couple weeks, tossing around an idea for my own chef challenge, although mine was a silly challenge. I've been holding off because I wasn't sure where to post my idea.

It would be interesting to see how many ideas there were for using chocolate in a main course, although of course Mole Sauce comes to mind. Chocolate has such a rich mouthy flavor that it would probably go well with lots more things than we ordinarily think of.

Isn't there a forum section for that? DC: Cooking Contests? I've been eying that forum section for a couple weeks, tossing around an idea for my own chef challenge, although mine was a silly challenge. I've been holding off because I wasn't sure where to post my idea.

It would be interesting to see how many ideas there were for using chocolate in a main course, although of course Mole Sauce comes to mind. Chocolate has such a rich mouthy flavor that it would probably go well with lots more things than we ordinarily think of.

Back, waaaay back, just after the wheel was invented, and I was inventing the axle, I came up with the crazy idea of the Golden Chef Challenge. I asked the DC community if anyone was interested in the idea. Several members said; "I'm in."

I asked what we should have for our first theme ingredient or idea. NO one responded so I suggested oats, in its various forms. It was agreed upon. Five people said they would participate. Sadly, only one person participated, me.

We didn't have any more GCC challenges for a year. I resurrected the idea and suggested chocolate as our first theme ingredient. Many people participated. Then we started having the challenges on a monthly basis for a while. But it became burdensome due to the holidays and we put the idea on hold.

So now, I'm bringing it up again. All ideas are valid, and there is no reason we couldn't do a chocolate challenge again. So, anybody, with any idea for the GCC, put in your idea. We will all look at it and come to some informal decision. It's a lot of fun.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Yes Greg, that is the thread. For whatever reason, I could not find it. :wacko:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom