Red beans & rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Usually, smoked ham hocks and kielbasa. The last batch I made I used smoked turkey wings and legs (Greenberg Turkey), and they were outstanding!

BTW, FA, what do YOU use?

Last edited:
There are as many ways to prepare and serve this dish as there are cooks. This is the time honored recipe served at my house.

Red Beans and Rice
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium green bell peppers, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound cubed ham
1 pound Andouille sausage
3 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 quarts water (to cover 1")
1 lb. small red beans, rinsed, cleaned and soaked.

Directions:

1. Place the vegetable oil in a 7-quart Dutch oven and set over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, salt and pepper to the pot. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions and celery are semi-translucent and the bell peppers are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.

2. Add the meat, bay leaves, thyme, hot sauce, cayenne pepper, water and beans to the pot and increase the heat to high. Cook, stirring frequently until the mixture comes to a boil.

3. Decrease the heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. Uncover, increase the heat slightly to maintain a steady simmer and continue to cook for another 30 to 40 minutes or until the beans are tender and the sauce is thickened to your liking.

4. If you prefer an even creamier texture, mash some of the beans with a potato masher or stick blender.

Serve over rice.

Last edited:
Well now, red beans and rice is kind of special and too special to load up with much other stuff. Just black and cayenne pepper and some salt pork in the beans. Beans cooked real soft.

Dawgluver said:
Usually, smoked ham hocks and kielbasa. The last batch I made I used smoked turkey wings and legs (Greenberg Turkey), and they were outstanding!

BTW, FA, what do YOU use?

Today, I threw in:
Thyme
about 3 garlic cloves
an onion
couple bell peppers
half a (head?) Of celery
cayenne pepper
some liquid smoke
Some Bacon grease
2 T Butter
South African smoke seasoning
Tsp Salt & pepper
3 T Beef base

Not a recipe really, just threw stuff in until it tasted good to me. It tasted pretty doggone good. We had a large pot 3/4 full & only about 1/4 is left.

My Meatless Red Beans and Rice

1 pound red beans soaked
2 T Red Bean Seasoning Mix or to taste
Olive Oil or Canola Oil
1Large onion choppedChopped Bell Pepper (color and amount to taste or what you have on hand)
2 stalks Celery thinly sliced
1 Jalapeno pepper chopped
Enough water to cover by 2 to 3 inches.

Cook veggies in oil till soft, then add beans spice mixture and water. Bring to a boil, turn down and simmer till beans are soft. Mash some of the beans to thicken the broth. Serve over Rice.

Red Beam SEASONING MIX
1/2 c. paprika
4 tsp. salt (opt. or to taste)
4 tsp. garlic powder
4 tsp. onion powder
4 tsp. cayenne
1 tbsp. white pepper
1 tbsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. basil leaves, crushed
1 tbsp. oregano leaves, crushed
1 tbsp. thyme leaves, crushed
2 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. sugar

Combine and store in a jar tightly sealed.

PattY1 said:
My Meatless Red Beans and Rice

1 pound red beans soaked
2 T Red Bean Seasoning Mix or to taste
Olive Oil or Canola Oil
1Large onion choppedChopped Bell Pepper (color and amount to taste or what you have on hand)
2 stalks Celery thinly sliced
1 Jalapeno pepper chopped
Enough water to cover by 2 to 3 inches.

Cook veggies in oil till soft, then add beans spice mixture and water. Bring to a boil, turn down and simmer till beans are soft. Mash some of the beans to thicken the broth. Serve over Rice.

Red Beam SEASONING MIX
1/2 c. paprika
4 tsp. salt (opt. or to taste)
4 tsp. garlic powder
4 tsp. onion powder
4 tsp. cayenne
1 tbsp. white pepper
1 tbsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. basil leaves, crushed
1 tbsp. oregano leaves, crushed
1 tbsp. thyme leaves, crushed
2 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. sugar

Combine and store in a jar tightly sealed.

That sounds good to me. I almost threw in dry mustard & paprika but was unsure. I wondered about oregano & bay leaves too. I like to find meatless versions especially in these times when work is scarce.

Back
Top Bottom