Anchovy yummy TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Anchovy lovers this is so good it's a make this again Ma appy:D Give it a try if you love these little critters like we do.
Soak 2- cans of anchovy fillets (2 0z. each) for 10 min in cold water, then remove to paper towels and pat dry. Place in a large mortar or your f/p with the steel blade with 2 med cloves of garlic and 1 Tab. tomatoe paste I use the type that's in a tube. Process till very smooth.Drizzle in 1-1-1/2 tea. evoo a few drops at a time mixing constantly til thick and smooth like mayo. Stir in 2 tea. lemon juice or red wine vinegar.Add some black pepper fresh ground . Preheat oven to 500 and place 8-10 slices of French bread cut about 1/2 inch thick brown lightly on one side then remove from oven turn bread over to unbaked side and apply anchovy mix onto the bread with spoon or back of a fork, bake 10 min watch carefully sprinlke with fresh chopped parsley serve right away.Enjoy
kades

I love it, but then I'm an anchovy nut. It's on the menu for next Sunday.
kades

Me, too...I love all the kinds of fishies, sardines I usually just eat them out of the can. I try to find ways to eat anchivies and remove most of the salt.

Me, too...I love all the kinds of fishies, sardines I usually just eat them out of the can. I try to find ways to eat anchivies and remove most of the salt.
Soak them in milk or water for about 10 minutes and that is all you need do When I add to sauces I don't bother to soak them just add to hot skillet with some evoo and they just seem to melt into the goodness of the sauce.
My aunt use to make a dip i loved from anchovies. She would bring 8 oz. of cream cheese to room temp add a half tin or more of anchovies,mashed, 2 cloves of crushed garlic, several dashes of Worchestershire mix it all together and I'd dig in with potato chips and eat til I almost dropped. This can be thinned with cream or milk to the consistansisy you like. boy did I look forward to my dip and chips. Yummo.
kades

This sounds great, gonna be trying this one within the week, for sure. I have a little reception that something like this will be perfect for, thanks for the recipe kadesma!!

I have anchovy paste and in the tins. My favorites are the anchovies wrapped around capers.

I'm going to have to try this. Reminder to self: buy tinned or bottled anchovies. All I have in the house is anchovy paste and you can rinse off the salt. :LOL:

Have you ever tried anchovy paste? It comes in tubes, also. :) Very convenient.

That is a great convenience item, especially for when making salad dressing and stuff, but it just isn't the same as oil packed/salt packed anchovy fillets. I always have a tube in the fridge, great for finishing sauces/pastas too, gives things a nice depth and briny-ness, that salt won't give, but doesn't make things fishy.

I'm going to have to try this. Reminder to self: buy tinned or bottled anchovies. All I have in the house is anchovy paste and you can rinse off the salt. :LOL:
The paste will work just fine for the dip the other recipe needs fillets:ohmy:
kades

i love little fishies so much! from anchovies to kipper snacks, to sprats, to sardines--they all rock my little tin can snack world--with a mighty huge splash!

thank you kadesma, for your anchovy recipe. sounds simply wonderful.... :)

Interesting Post ...

Good Morning,

One of my favorite ways to have Anchovies packed in EVOO from Cantabría, Spain or Italia is:

To be placed on top of a fresh type cheese, either BURGOS Or REQUESON, a thick pasty cow variety used to stuff lasagne in Spain; and / or RICOTTA or BUFFALA DI MOZZARELLA in Italia, on a Canapé of toasted rustic country bread, and that is it --- SIMPLE ... and divine ... One can add olives halved, cherry tomatoes for acid contrast, basil or fresh parsley minced and a glass of Prosecco ...

Otherwise, on a Pizza alla Napoletana, which is tomato, buffala di mozzarella, anchovies, oregano and evoo ...

Happy Holidays.
Margi.

Last edited:
Interesting Post ...

Good Morning,

One of my favorite ways to have Anchovies packed in EVOO from Cantabría, Spain or Italia is:

To be placed on top of a fresh type cheese, either BURGOS Or REQUESON, a thick pasty cow variety used to stuff lasagne in Spain; and / or RICOTTA or BUFFALA DI MOZZARELLA in Italia, on a Canapé of toasted rustic country bread, and that is it --- SIMPLE ... and divine ... One can add olives halved, cherry tomatoes for acid contrast, basil or fresh parsley minced and a glass of Prosecco ...

Otherwise, on a Pizza alla Napoletana, which is tomato, buffala di mozzarella, anchovies, oregano and evoo ...

Happy Holidays.
Margi.
Thanks for the ideas Margi. They have been copied and saved for one of my family Sunday's.
kades:yum:

i love little fishies so much! from anchovies to kipper snacks, to sprats, to sardines--they all rock my little tin can snack world--with a mighty huge splash!

thank you kadesma, for your anchovy recipe. sounds simply wonderful.... :)
You're welcome Vitauta. Glad you like the recipe.
kades

There is a Provence French dish which is a savoury crisp pastry shell decorated & topped like a pizza without cheese however, topped with anchovies and olives ... brushed with Evoo and baked ... Forget the name of the dish, however, it is from Provence ... it is lovely ...

This is quite interesting...

I believe the dish begins with the Letter " P " ---

Happy Easter
Margi.

The paste will work just fine for the dip the other recipe needs fillets:ohmy:
kades
Just curious. . .what brand do you use, Kades? I like it in a pinch, but as I mentioned, for me, it doesn't have they same gusto as packed filets. Maybe it's the brand I have. I LOVE the convenience of the tube stuff though!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom