Blown eggs...is the egg safe to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
This next Friday I want to do blown Easter eggs with the students in the English club (yes, it is a week late but I got pre-empted by a speaker). Once the egg is blown out of the shell is it hygienic to use - consider the blowing process? Is there a dish that I can quickly and automatically make? I have 23 students. I am also looking for safe ways to make the hole in the egg - specifically ways to consistently make small holes that can be done by small hands - my students are grade 3 to grade 6. If I blow the egg myself, can I freeze all of the egg? or is there any other use (non-food) for egg?

Last edited:
As long as you're not sick, it shouldn't be a problem. You can make omelets, scrambled eggs, etc., or freeze the eggs. Use a big needle to poke a hole in both ends of the egg, one end a bit bigger. Blow from the smaller hole through the bigger hole into a bowl. Rinse the shells and dry before dyeing.

Last edited:
We always just scrambled them because the yolk gets broken in the process. I would think cooking would take care of any germs but blowing them all yourself might not be a bad idea :) We use a darning needle, making the second hole a bit bigger. If you use the egg carton to hold them one at a time, they could do it I would guess. I would plan on bringing a few extras though, just in case :)

Gourmet Greg said:
I was imagining the same thing, 25-30 students all blowing eggs into a common bowl, then mixing it all up and making a nice omelet... :yuk:

:ROFLMAO:

Yuck! Yes, blow them out yourself.

Last edited:
I don't know why you can't just hard boil the eggs like when I was a kid. (Or 'hard cook' them, don't wanna start that battle again!)

Is the significance of 'blown eggs' that the food content is removed so they will keep indefinitely? In other words turning the egg shells from food products into art products?

I presume this is all leading up to decorating them with food coloring, paints, etc.?

I think making blown eggs with a whole class of students is a good way to have some "concerned parent" complaining, especially if somehow the kids get sick.

danbuter said:
I think making blown eggs with a whole class of students is a good way to have some "concerned parent" complaining, especially if somehow the kids get sick.

I agree. You may get scolded.

Is this for a private school?

I wouldn't be able to eat that and wouldn't want my kids to eat it either.
Just sounds too gross to me. Eggs are cheap - I wouldn't risk it.
I would however, cook them for my dog...

My mom and I found it was easier to cut an inch long piece from a straw and hold that against the egg to blow it out. Don't know why you all are so squeamish about something that comes out of a chickens behind. :LOL:

My mom and I found it was easier to cut an inch long piece from a straw and hold that against the egg to blow it out. Don't know why you all are so squeamish about something that comes out of a chickens behind. :LOL:

The squeems are coming from little kids blowing the eggs into a communal bowl and then cooking them. Lots of contagion happening there.

Much the same could said about chicken... well... you know! :LOL:

Heheheh feed it to your dog?? wow, i would rather feed them to my students ;) No, we did not use the yolk. It went into the pig barrel. The pigs didn't say a word... we did decorate the eggs. I wanted to introduce the students to another way of making easter eggs. Most of my classes got hard cooked/boiled/whatever eggs but I wanted a way to make the English Club's eggs more special...so that I didn't have to device a completely new activity :)

Back
Top Bottom