What should I pickle in the off-season?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
I've never pickled anything before although my mom was really fond of pickling green tomatoes and beets when I was a kid. I ate alot of those. For some reason I have a sudden strong desire to pickle something soon.

I think it was a Good Eats recipe that did this to me.

I'd like to make some cucumber pickles but I don't know of anywhere to get pickling cukes so I'll just have to grow them this year.

What should I pickle in the meantime while I wait 90-100 days to grow cucumbers?

I guess my question is "what kind of vegetables are both good to pickle and available at most grocery stores year around"?

I'm also open to making relishes or kim-chee as well.

Pickled Carrots, Asparagus, Onions, Green Beans, Okra are what come to mind right now.

Hopefully you will be growing Kirby (aka "pickling") Cucumbers for pickling since regular cucumbers have large seeds that ruin the experience of a good pickle.

When I'm not making pickles I will pickle any of the following, depending on their availability (and cost if I buy them): Carrots, Cauliflower, Corn, Garlic, Green Beans, Mushrooms, Okra, bell peppers, hot peppers (like Jalapenos), Onions, Shallots, Tomatillos, and even Asparagus, Cactus Pads (Nopales), Eggplant and Brussels Sprouts. In short, just about any produce item can be pickled.

I especially like to do relishes, Giadiniera, and other mixed vegetable recipes when I have several vegetables on hand.

mcnerd said:
Hopefully you will be growing Kirby (aka "pickling") Cucumbers for pickling since regular cucumbers have large seeds that ruin the experience of a good pickle.

When I'm not making pickles I will pickle any of the following, depending on their availability (and cost if I buy them): Carrots, Cauliflower, Corn, Garlic, Green Beans, Mushrooms, Okra, bell peppers, hot peppers (like Jalapenos), Onions, Shallots, Tomatillos, and even Asparagus, Cactus Pads (Nopales), Eggplant and Brussels Sprouts. In short, just about any produce item can be pickled.

I especially like to do relishes, Giadiniera, and other mixed vegetable recipes when I have several vegetables on hand.

+1, except for the Brussels sprouts. (I don't like Brussels sprouts, you might.)

My faves are green beans, carrots, and beets.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom