Feeling dumb here but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulsisels

Assistant Cook
Have cookie recipe calling for 1/4 c of egg whites. How many eggs do I use? Thanks for not laughing! Sully:LOL:

Have cookie recipe calling for 1/4 c of egg whites. How many eggs do I use? Thanks for not laughing! Sully:LOL:

One large egg should be enough. Who writes a recipe calling for ¼ cup of egg white? They must be using the powdered egg whites. Sully, I am not laughing, just kind of stunned that someone would actually write a recipe calling for ¼ cup. :rolleyes:

You can buy egg whites in a carton, either a pint size or a quart size.

lucerne-best-egg-whites-17643.jpg

1/4 cup equals one large egg.

Last edited:
I'd just keep breaking eggs and putting the whites into a measuring cup until I had enough.

1 large egg is a quarter cup, but take away the yolk and now you have less than a quarter cup.

Follow Andy's advise. Separate two eggs and measure out a 1/4 cup.

i can't believe I didn't think of that myself...In my own defense, I've been working around the clock with very little sleep And, I'm a chef (at least in my own mind), not a baker!!! No??? It's all I got!!!

Who knew??? I guess my lack of baking know how is apparent! Give me a Maine lobster however, and I'll put tears in your eyes. Us Boston girls bring down the house when it comes to seafood...I eat Ipswich clams for breakfast! Thanks..Sully

!!!

Good, cause I thought it was me that found that a little strange.
The recipe was written by a pretty qualified chef, Alton Brown, know him? Anyway, he's typically so extremely precise that this is just a little out of character..In any case, thanks very much for your time. Sully

Good, cause I thought it was me that found that a little strange.
The recipe was written by a pretty qualified chef, Alton Brown, know him? Anyway, he's typically so extremely precise that this is just a little out of character..In any case, thanks very much for your time. Sully

I see this as right in line with how Alton Brown usually works. What could be more precise than a 1/4 cup measure? If one egg white isn't enough and two are too many, what choice do you have that's more precise and easy than asking for 1/4 cup?

Back
Top Bottom