Lemon Meringue, We Meet Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgoroth

Assistant Cook
Hey everybody, I'm new to the forum, so I may not be posting this in the right place, but I did look to see if this had been discussed before, and I could not quite find the answer.

I'm trying to make Alton Brown's Lemon Meringue Pie(AB Pie), and the flavor is great, and the meringue is good, but it keeps turning out to watery.

I thought maybe I had old cornstarch, but I bought some new cornstarch and that did not help either.
The problem seems to come in when I add the Lemon Juice. It's good and thick until then, but that half cup of lemon juice is cutting the thick sugary filling down to runny eggs.

I'm thinking of taking out a half cup of water and putting the lemon juice in with it at the beginning, or maybe just cooking the stuff longer before adding the lemon juice. I don't know. But, that's why I'm here :mrgreen:

Oh and are you supposed to refrigerate these pies?

Well, hi, Morgoroth, and welcome to DC! Sorry to say I'm clueless about lemon meringue, but someone should be by to help momentarily.

Welcome to DC!

Your filling should be able to hold a spoon straight up, much thicker than what you think it should be before putting in the lemon juice. So, I would suggest cooking it longer.

And to answer your other question, Yes, it should be in the fridge when it is done and cool if it has eggs in it.

Good Morning,

I believe it is possible that you are adding too much lemon juice ... Water question here.

My Mom Eva, made this pie with egg whites for the Meringue and then egg yolks, a couple of tblsp of lemon juice from 1 fresh lemon & condensed milk ... Baked it ...

Hope the next pie works out much better.
Margi.

Thanks for all the replies! I'll let you guys know how the next one turns out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom