Thoughts on breaking spaghetti prior to cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you break your spaghetti/linguine prior to cooking?

• Yes, almost always or always

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • No, never or barely ever

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Less than 50% of the time

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • More than 50% of the time

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters
would not touch...really? even if you were very hungry? is there a purism of some kind governing legitimate spaghetti eating manners that i'm missing? for instance, i would never presume to dictate how anyone chooses to cut up, cook or serve their potatoes. suggestions, maybe, but no draconian rules....

sorry if someone got offended,
it was not what i wanted to happen, i was just trying to express my point of view.
it is a free and democratic world

Professionally I have not broken spaghetti noodles. However, while Dad was with us I had to break it not only in half, but in even smaller pieces for him. I found that trying to cut it up after it was cooked was more difficult so I broke it dry and then still gave it a few cuts with a knife after.

Now I am training myself to back to not having to break or cut it at all. My reasoning - none really. :rolleyes:

Good Morning,

We do not break the Ribbon Pastas, if using Barilla ...

I normally make my own ...

I have always seen Italians, twirl it around a fork in a tablespoon.

They may, slice it for children ...

Thanks, interesting post.
Have nice wkend.
Margi Cintrano.

I fell vindicated! My spoon and I shall have a happy life together! :LOL:

:)
Wow! Thanks for all the feedback! My children like it broken also because it is easier for them to eat.... and not as messy from a Mom's point of view. I keep the length long enough so I can still get a twirl going but I agree with bakechef.....that's the perfect way to put it. SPAGHETTI SHRAPNEL! Those flying pieces get everywhere!

We break ours and I am embarrassed by a friend who asks for a spoon and wears a bib when we eat in a restaurant. This friend is a second generation Italian who grew up on the lower east side of NYC and is a self proclaimed expert on everything Italian even though he has never been to Italy.

And does he say, "Hey yous guys, I'm I-talian, so I should know. Does he wear a wife beater undershirt? I have met a few of them in my life. Geesh, yous guys. ;)

Last edited:
And does he say, "Hey yous guys, I'm I-talian, so I should know. Does he wear a wife beater undershirt? I have met a few of them in my life. Geesh, yous guys. ;)
No, he is offended by the term II-talian, but carries a switchblade in his back pocket with a clip that can be hazardous to upholstery and furniture finishes.

I decided to defer to my resident noodle expert here - Violet definitely prefers long unbroken noodles (but will eat any in a pinch of course ;))

I break spaghetti (actually angel hair) when making a meal for myself, so I can use a smaller pot in which to boil. If I'm cooking for the both of us or a group, I'd not dream of breaking it.

Thanks so much for all of your input. I find the answers fascinating. Is it taboo to actually break pasta prior to cooking it for some? I never use to, never even thought of it until I met my husband and then had children. I was very reluctant at first...don't really know why except it is made long so eat it that way. However, I find it much easier with less mess and worries (children choking) and it tastes just as good. I am a breaker now and I mostly break it into 1/3 or 1/4 of its original length. At 1/3's it is still long enough to twirl so I am happy and so is the rest of the family.:):yum:

Back
Top Bottom