Gnocchi and Sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PolishedTopaz

Sous Chef
gnocchi 001.jpg

gnocchi and parts 017.jpg
Gnocchi and Sausage........ Budget friendly and tasty too.

Sweet Sausage {or any kind you like}
1 sm. Onion diced
3 cloves Garlic minced
4-8 sm. button mushrooms quartered
1/3 c. olive oil
1/3 c. butter
Scallions cut large {for color and flavor}
Microplaned Granna Padano {or other good parma cheese}

-Brown off sausage--cut into rounds
-In a seperate pan cook mushrooms/onions/garlic till soft and lightly browned--add sausage continue to cook

-Bring pot of water to boil {with a GOOD amount of salt}
-Add Gnocchi--cook just until they float {5 mins or so DO NOT OVERCOOK}
-Drain off--add to pan with sausage--toss to combine
-Add scallions--toss again
{you may want to add a bit more oil and or butter to sauce everything use your judgement}

-Plate--top with cheese--dig in!!!

Last edited:
I am still currently "pasta challanged" once I get that basic down, I will feel better about moving on to something that is more sensitive, like Gnocchi. :ermm:

I can prove to you that gnocchi is idiot proof...I can make it! Way easier than regular pasta!:)

I am still currently "pasta challanged" once I get that basic down, I will feel better about moving on to something that is more sensitive, like Gnocchi. :ermm:
I may ruffle a few feather PT forget about making pasta. I only make it for ravioli, IMO quality dried shop bought is the best. Home made Gnocchi is a different matter.

This simple dish is how home style northern Italian food should be..........well done.:yum:

@ Polished Topaz,

Thanks for posting.

I do prefer to make my Gnocchi. My recipe is quite simple:

2 3/4 pounds potatoes
1 tsp salt and white or black pepper
freshly ground white pepper
2 large eggs
3 cups Unbleached flour all purpose
sprinkle dried oregano, basil, thyme and parsley in the flour

*** I had planned to post this recipe ... So, please see Pasta Section.

I pair mine with a Ragù ( beef or veal ) however, it can be paired lovely with sausages and bell pepper green as you have or chicken or pork Ragù. It is very common in the Lombardia region of Italy.

Have a nice Sunday.
Margi Cintrano.

Last edited:
I agree with Bollas on this..

1. Hard pasta.. buy it at the store..

2. Soft or fresh or egg pasta.. make it at home right before you cook it ..

I like large shapes like Taglatelle or Old Rags or for the "Devine" dish of Stuffed Pasta!

3. Gnocci.. make at home!

boil a patato..

peel, then Rice it when it gets cool, add just enough flour to make a dough, then boil 'till it floats..

I think eggs make the " Little Pillows" too tough.

My fave is ...

Use a can of Sweet Patatos, Drain well,..

then run through a Ricer..

add flour to make a Very soft dough ..cut into Gnocchis

boil till they float then drop into a pan of ..

1 stick butter, and just barely brown the Gnocchi...

add a Hand full of Poppy seeds and Parsley!

a very nice Side Dish that gets good reviews at my home

Eric, Austin Tx.

A little Acadian twist to gnocchi and sausage. I don't buy the seasonings, I make them from his R&R cookbook.

Emeril's Andouille Gnocchi with Spicy Tomato Sauce
Ingredients
2 large baking potatoes
2 cups Spicy Tomato Sauce
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
6 ounces finely chopped andouille sausage
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
5 turns freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Emeril's Creole Seasoning
1 large egg
3/4 cup coarsely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1 cup water
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
Bake the potatoes at 400?F until fork-tender, for about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and set aside until cool enough to handle. Prepare the Spicy Tomato Sauce and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a small skillet over high heat. Add the andouille, garlic, basil, and oregano and sautÈ for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and pour into a large bowl.
Scrape the potatoes from their skins into the bowl and mash them into the andouille. Stir in 1 teaspoon of the salt, 3 turns of the pepper, the Creole Seasoning, egg, 1/4 cup Parmesan, and 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons (7 tablespoons) of the flour. Makes 2 1/2 cups.
Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup flour on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper. Using 2 teaspoons, form the gnocchi mixture into 28 dumplings and roll them in the flour on the baking sheet.
In a large saucepan over high heat, combine the milk, water, the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 2 turns pepper and bring just to a boil. Add the gnocchi and poach for 5 minutes. Remove the gnocchi with a slotted spoon.
While the gnocchi are poaching, reheat the Spicy Tomato Sauce over low heat.
To serve, spoon 1/4 cup of the sauce into each of 4 shallow bowls. Arrange 7 gnocchi on top and add another 1/4 cup sauce. Sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons Parmesan, and top with 1 tablespoon chopped basil.

Tomato Sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/3 cup chopped onions
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 turns freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 cup finely chopped carrots
1 cup peeled, seeded, and chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 cups Basic Chicken Stock
Instructions
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add the onions, salt, and black pepper and sautÈ until the onions are translucent, for about 2 minutes.
Add the garlic, carrots, tomatoes, basil, oregano, and cayenne. Stir in the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
Remove from the heat and purÈe in a food processor or blender. Serve immediately or store, refrigerated, in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Reheat in a saucepan over low heat.
Yield: 2 cups

When making Italian potato gnocchi, we also bake the potatoes.

Back
Top Bottom