Fleur De Sel when fermenting vegetables?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I made my first fermented veggie jar. Red Cabbage, Green Cabbage, some Zucchini, and beets, also a little bit of green onions and dill.

I ended up using Fleur De Sel salt I bought awhile ago and had in my house. I didn't think to look it up to see if it's ok to use this kind of salt.

I hope so? : ) : ( ; )

legend_018

I can't imagine that sea salt would be bad! Just expensive! When doing this sort of thing (i.e., kimchee) I like to use kosher salt; far less expensive and easier to control that regular salt.

Maybe some sediment, otherwise, I would think it would be fine. I use kosher salt.

Last edited:
Fleur de Sel is fine in the recipe but a huge waste of money. If you just wanted to use it up, no problem but you won't be able to tell the difference in the finished product.

Thanks, more like i happen to have it in house (i never use it for some reason).

By the way, I was telling a friend about what I did. She said she would be nervous about bad bacteria getting in letting it sit like that for days.

I saw a few video's and articles about it and didn't see anything too alarming to watch out for. Some people said make sure the liquid well covers it, but other than that. Anything I need to worry about? It didn't sound too dangerous. Or is it?

By the way, I was telling a friend about what I did. She said she would be nervous about bad bacteria getting in letting it sit like that for days.

I saw a few video's and articles about it and didn't see anything too alarming to watch out for. Some people said make sure the liquid well covers it, but other than that. Anything I need to worry about? It didn't sound too dangerous. Or is it?

You have to follow the recipe. Weigh down the veggies so they stay submerged.

I've made a lot of homemade sauerkraut over the last 10 years and it hasn't hurt me yet. Just make sure your brine has plenty of salt and keep everything submerged and you'll be fine. I use a plate with a jar of beans on top to hold everything down. You may get some surface mold, just carefully remove it with a spoon. And put a towel over the top to keep dust out.

What Steve said. Be sure to skim that moldy stuff off, because it tastes bad.

Salt is salt is salt, but measurements differ, depending on grain size. If your recipe called for a certain amount of table salt, and you used that amount of fleur de sel, you might not have used enough salt.

Back
Top Bottom