ISO Help with Pressure Canning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gracegrown

Assistant Cook
Not a reply!! sorry could not find out how to ask a question ... I just started canning and I have a problem.. I just found out that I was using my pressure cooker wrong. I was suppose to use ten pounds of pressure and I have been using five pounds . Do I have to get rid of all I canned .. There is meat in some of my canning ... Please help!

Gracegrown said:
Not a reply!! sorry could not find out how to ask a question ... I just started canning and I have a problem.. I just found out that I was using my pressure cooker wrong. I was suppose to use ten pounds of pressure and I have been using five pounds . Do I have to get rid of all I canned .. There is meat in some of my canning ... Please help!

Hoo boy. Someone should be along shortly to help. Please make sure to carefully read the manual that came with your pressure canner. The Ball Blue Book also has good instructions. You might be able to freeze your stuff.

Last edited:
I don't believe 5 PSI will get things hot enough to kill the Clostridium botulinum.

If in doubt you need to toss it. Trying to save it is a bad economy since you could die over the jar of meat.

I am not an expert on this, we do have a few that will chime in I am sure.

Hi ,
I do a lot of canning, meat and vegetables. Meat and vegetables are not safe
to consume canned at 5 lbs of pressure. I canned Yellow squash and green beans
this week, Ten pounds of pressure for 20 minutes. Meat is pressured a lot longer
The suggestion to get a ball blue book is spot on.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Josie

She said she canned meat, and meat needs the higher pressure.

How long ago did you can it? If it was in the last day or two, I would say dump the jars, boil well, and freeze. Recanning might ruin the texture, I would think.

If it has been any longer--trash it. Not worth the risk, even though the risk is slight. (Be sure to dispose of the food where animals can't get it!)

In the future, read your Ball Blue Book--available where you buy jars, or at Amazon. Or visit this site: National Center for Home Food Preservation That is the official USDA approved site for canning instructions and recipes. (Also covers freezing and dehydrating.)

There are lots of canning experts here, so use us as a reference, too.

Thanks you guys so much ... I did decide to through all that I had canned. But the one I canned that day I left in in fridge and then cooked it again and reprocessed it . I made sure I did it correct this time.... A rough way to learn but I am learning ... thanks all..

Hi, I am sorry you did all that work and lost the time energy
And cost. But you are far better off having disposed of it !!!
Canning meat is fun but takes a lot longer. If we can help don't
be afraid to asked.
Welcome to DC

Josie

Fresh Green Beans...

I live in the deep south of Louisiana and whe eat our green beans with sausage or bacon or somked me . I have some fresh green beans that I would like to can But the time for the green beans in the pressure canner is a lot less than meat. If I pressure cook them as long as the meat then will they mushy .. Thanks for the Help!!

Can your green beans without the meat. When you get ready to cook them, put your ham/bacon/whatever in the pot, chop some onions, (I add a clove or two of garlic) and use the liquid from your green beans to cover the meat and onions. Simmer that for an hour so that it turns into a rich broth (you could do this the night before, or use the crockpot), then add your green beans and cook til they are done enough for you. (You can throw everything in together and cook for an hour, but to my mind, that makes the beans too mushy.)

Thanks , I thought that is what I needed to do .... Thanks a whole bunch ... Just would like to know what is everyones favorite recipie for canning ?

Thanks , I thought that is what I needed to do .... Thanks a whole bunch ... Just would like to know what is everyones favorite recipie for canning ?

My daughter had a peach tree growing right outside her kitchen door. Open the door, reach out and pick a peach. Big fat, sweet juice running down your arm peaches. One year she brought me bags and bags of peaches. I made a peach jam. Recipe compliments of the Blue Book. It tasted so good, that I gave all the jars away as Christmas gifts. The next year she had the tree removed. The urge to kill was so strong at that time. But I understood. The fallen peaches were drawing all the hornets and making it impossible to get out the door. :yum::yum:

Never could grow peach or plum trees.. We have muskadines , Persimens and oranges and figs . My husband loves peaches so maybe I will buy peaches and try canning them.

Brandied peaches are a real treat. You have to leave them sit for about two months after they are canned before you eat them.

Grace,
In the last two weeks I have canned 12 quarts of blue lake green beans,
and 19 quarts of yellow squash. Vegetable soup mixture is one of my favorite
things to can. I too live in the deep south where veggies are king.

Josie

Wow you have been one busy lady... we have a garden but not a huge one .. we plant green beens ever year and they do not produce .. they are this year but their leaves are dying up already but we did yeild some . Ate some today mmmm good. I too love living down south where we almost have a garden all year around... have a Blessed afternoon...

So I decided to can red beans and sausage and when I pulled them out of the canner one jar did not have enought liquid and the meat ( smoked sausage ) was settled on top without liquid covering it .May it still be eaten ??? thanks

Never could grow peach or plum trees.. We have muskadines , Persimens and oranges and figs . My husband loves peaches so maybe I will buy peaches and try canning them.

When I lived in Hawaii, I had a banana tree and orange tree growing right outside my door in the courtyard. And when I was with the 4H kids at the Fair, I would wait until the trucks came in to show off their wares. The fruit was still warm right off the trees. I always went for the peach trucks first. The biggest, fatest, juiciest peaches you could get your hands on. You would have to eat them bending over. What didn't drip onto the ground, went pouring down your arms and all over your shoes. Next came the Bartlett Pears, then the different plums. Fifteen days later I was probably the healthiest person there. I like apples, I just don't love them. Only for pie making. :yum:

Gracegrown--did you use an approved recipe for your redbeans and sausage? If so, the lack of liquid is not a real problem. The exposed beans and sausage might discolor a little with time, so eat that one first.

If you did not find an approved recipe--don't eat them. Period. I couldn't find a recipe for canning beans and sausage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom