Super moon!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
we missed it here. i was looking forward to going to the roof of my building, but we are overcast with clouds. :( i'll have to wait until the next perigee.

Omigosh! I'm a huge full moon fan and I always watch the calendar to see when it will occur. I make it a point to go outside to see it every month and tonight's (actually my calendar says tomorrow night's) moon is gorgeous.

Glenn and I were out tonight and the ride home was sooooo beautiful following the big golden orb in the sky.

Can't wait for tomorrow night.

ok, i'm going to the roof, bending over facing east, and pulling my pants down.

does that help anyone.

i feel better...:angel:

ok, i'm going to the roof, bending over facing east, and pulling my pants down.

does that help anyone.

i feel better...:angel:
Now I see it! Hey, wait a cotton picking minute, isn't the moon in the other direction tonight? BT I think you are pulling my leg! :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

It was too cloudy here tonight. I will never forget the one my mom and I saw about 40 years ago though. We were walking home from the store and there it was, HUGE and dark orange. If you picture the moon normally as a golf ball, this was a basketball. I never knew it was called a Super Moon until this last year. We tried explaining it to people, but I think they thought we were exaggerating. It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen! I wish I had been able to get a picture of it, but I will always have the picture in my mind.

We drove 6 km down to the lake shore to see it. It was lovely. I forgot to bring the camera, so I took some pix with my iPhone. How the heck do I get those pix off my iPhone without emailing them? I get charged for picture emails.

I synced the phone on my computer, but all I see is a new folder called "iPod Photo Cache" with a single file: "Photo Database". It has no file extension and it's only 2kb.

Actually it is pretty big, as big as I recall seeing.

When I posted earlier it was before moonrise, local time, local locale. I think the moon rises more or less about the same local time +/- 30 minutes or so anywhere on any given night because the moon moves lots slower than the sun (1 rev/month instead of 1 rev/day).

Anyway it's big. I'm glad I'm not lycanthropic
lycanthrope_black_and_white.jpg

The moon had to come over our 2,000 ft. mountain. The base of the mountain is about a mile from here, so it didn't look that much different with it so high in the sky.

I saw the last one in 1993 from the beach at dusk and it was a spectacular unworldly orange globe.

Last edited:
I think it's only picture SMS I get charged for.

The Moon sure looked a lot larger when I was looking at it.

2012-05-05

This sign was in the park where we stopped to look at the Moon. I am now calling that park, "Party Pooper Park".

2012-05-05

The size of the moon is an optical illusion, that is what we see. Your camera, not having a brain, cannot see the illusion through it's lens.

I went out and looked, and ... well, didn't seem a big deal.

D'ya know what I haven't seen in eons? A real harvest moon. We live in farm country, but do not remember seeing one since I was in North Dakota in my twenties. I think maybe modern, more ecologically viable farming methods don't put the chaff in the air the way that it was when I was younger? But that enormous gold/orange moon was something to behold.

If you turn your head upside down or look at the moon through a mirror when it is large like that, it shrinks to normal size. I took an elective astronomy class in university and one of the assignments was to look at such a moon while upside down.

Back
Top Bottom